Status: Comment and I update.

Painted Faces.

Chapter 6

The ‘dart’ from Dublin to Malahide station took no more than a two hours (it would have taken less if it hadn’t been for technically difficulties) all of which Emily and Near had spent in an awkward silence. The only reason she had even agreed to accompany him on his journey was because John had decided that it would be best to keep an eye on him and also because he felt fresh air would help her anxiety. It didn’t.

The dark clouds that had blanketed the sky the previous day had burst open and rain was pelting against the train’s window with such force that Emily feared it may break. She sat uncomfortably, her legs crossed and her right arm safely tucked around her waist. Near was equally as uncomfortable. He fidgeted with his hands and kept fussing over the bandage that John had applied to his gun-shot wound. It had been the longest journey that Emily (and no doubt Near) had ever experienced.

As they pulled into the town a woman announced over the crackling intercom, “Last stop. Malahide Station.”
Near closed his eyes and sighed with relief. The train came to a bumpy stop; Emily pulled the hood of her large green jacket over her head, stood to smooth the creases in her worn jeans and peered down at Near. He raised his eyebrows calmly in response; his right arm was slung over the seat in a relaxed position.

“Okay. Let’s go.” Emily dictated.

“You know, your enthusiasm will disappear when you step out in that downpour.” He nodded his head towards the window, where the rain was still thundering against the plastic pain, “My friend’s house is out near the golf club and we don’t have a car.”

Emily shrugged, “We’ll get a taxi.”

“I’m totally skint.”

“So am I, but when you got these, “Emily pushed her breasts together and leaned over to reveal cleavage through the V neck of her shirt. “Might as well use them.”

“It will never work. Not all cabbies are perverted.”He argued.

They stepped out into the blistering cold, Emily zipped her jacket up to the neck while near just hunched himself over in an attempt to maintain warmth.

“It’s worked before.” Emily replied.

“You know in my day women didn’t ‘flaunt it’ to get free things. Whatever happened to the traditional below the knee and seen but not heard business?”

“How old are you?” She dashed ahead of him into the station’s port; he stepped through the doors after her.

“205.”

“Guess that’s one perk. Living forever and forever young.” Emily joked, Near didn’t smile, “Oh come on sourpuss. It was a joke.”

“Living forever as this isn’t what I had in mind. I was barely twenty four, married with an infant. In two hundred and six years, I saw myself in a decomposing box somewhere six feet under.”

Emily lead him to a small café, “What was it like?” she asked as she took a seat at one of the outer tables.

“In the 19th century? It was very different. The industrial revolution was still going on, the United Kingdom had just been merged and Queen Victoria wasn’t even crowned yet. George the fourth was still ruling, the fat bastard; I never liked him.

A waitress approached the table, Emily ordered herself and Near a coffee and once the young woman had left she signalled for him to continue, “My wife and me were peasants; we had very little money, only the small amount that I
brought in from working in the industrial area. It was dangerous, especially at night. There was this rumour going round that one of the workers who had disappeared had been brutally killed and thrown into the canal. They were true of course.”

Emily had her head resting on her hands, her eyes focused on Near. She keeping nodding with genuine interest and Near was pleased. He never got to talk about his previous life or his family and even to be in the company of human was heaven. Mostly he stayed away from humanity or vice versa. The young waitress returned to their table carrying with her a round wooden tray with two large mugs of coffee and two petite jugs of foamy milk. Emily fumbled for her purse and gave her a five euro note.

“That’s how you were turned?” She asked once the waitress had left.

Near sighed and gently closed his eyes. He remembered that night like it was last week.

“It was around three am on a Monday morning and I was just midway through my shift. It was chilly, despite it being April; there was a full moon with eerie wisps of cloud. Proper horror film. Anyway, I remember the temperature dropping even further, so much that I could see my breath and the wind was picking up too. My gas lamp was thrown to the ground by a mighty gust of wind; swamped the whole place into darkness. Then this big fellow jumps me from behind. I fight and fight, kicking and screaming at the bastard but it was no good. He knocked me out and next thing I know I’m lying in some rat infested cell someplace naked as a baby and chained up like a dog. I was tortured for weeks; I can’t remember all that well because I was barely conscious. I just waved in and out of reality, a few moments in the cell, another few inside my head with my family, and then brutally pulled me back to hell again.”

He lowered his head and traced his index finger along the handle of the coffee. Emily watched on, savouring his crestfallen expression. He looked so innocent, so heartbroken and lost; alone in an era he wasn’t even born into.

“What happened when you got back?” She asked.

He glanced up at her. His hair brushed over his eyes and curled around the jaw line of his face.

“I killed her. The baby was already dead. She went insane with grief over my disappearance and killed him.”

There was a stunned silence. Only the noise of the train station could be heard. Emily slowly edged her hand towards Near’s stationary one and placed it gently on top. He glanced back up at her.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

“S’not your fault. Besides, I guess that gives you fellows more evidence to convict me.”

“No. It doesn’t,” Emily could see the dim twinkle in his eye, the scream begging to get out. This demon, this man wasn’t a killer.

He attempted a smile, “So how are we going to get to the golf course?”

“My boobs. I’m telling you, they work wonders.”

Near couldn’t help but laugh.

“Thank god for you ‘assets’”

*****
When Emily stooped to say good bye to the cabbie, she made sure to show as much breast as she could and a perverted grin spread across the old man’s face. Satisfied that he could now die happy, he left them outside a white two story house with ivy growing up one side. Near was already half way up the garden path and Emily quickly joined his side.

“Nice place.” She whispered.

“It’s fairly old too. Benjamin Wainwright inherited it from his mother when she passed away. “Near informed, he cocked his head back to get a good look at the upper floor of the house.

“Lucky them. Most people usually inherit a small fortune or a dog.”

They stepped onto the wooden porch and Near wasted no time in ringing their bronze door bell. The house remained silent for a few moments before a light flashed on in the hallway and the curtains that shielded the door were drawn back. A tall man, with un-tidy black hair squinted at them through the class. His morbid expression soon developed into a broad grin and he tugged open the door.

“Near!” He announced, he shoved his hands cooly into the pockets of his dressing gown, “Not often you’re an early bird!”

His eyes met Emily’s and she quickly looked away as a blush spread over her cheeks. She realized now that he had a wiry body clothed by a pair of tartan pyjama bottoms, an over sized ‘Nike’ t-shirt and a navy dressing gown. His feet, however, were bare and red from the exposure to the cold.

“What can I say Benji. I missed your sour mug.” Near joked, a cheeky smile was also present on his face creating dimples on either side of his mouth.

Thunder cracked through the air. Emily jumped and took hold of Nears arm. The rain was showing no sign of hindering, instead the clouds had grown darker and angrier than they had been earlier and there was strong indication of a storm. Benji peered out from under the porch.

“You had better come on in.” He moved out of the way of the door as Emily and Near strolled into the wide hallway, her hand was still holding on firmly to Near’s elbow, “Just go on through into the kitchen.” Benji directed them to the room at the end; he closed the front door and followed after them.

There was a wholesome fragrance of fruit as they entered the Kitchen. Its walls were painted bright green with autumn leaves bordering the edges; the windows were positioned above the worktop and were framed by a pair of pale green curtains. Obviously nature was a strong and on-going theme. An average sized, slender woman stood at the stove with her back to them and she sang Dancing in the moonlight by Toploader quietly to herself.

“Ignore my wife’s singing.” Benji told Emily, “She gets a few complements at a Karaoke night and all of a sudden she’s Blonde.”

He moved on past her and gestured for them to take a seat at the table. His wife turned to face them, a smile on her face and a sparkle in her odd misty eyes. She pushed back the stray blonde hairs from her face and tightened the pony-tale which lay down her back.

“How are you Near? It’s been a while.” She glanced to Emily, “Who’s your pretty friend?”

Emily felt herself blush again, “I’m Emily.” She stood up and extended her numb hand, “ Nice to meet you.”

“Jenny. Any friend of Near’s is a friend of mine dear so make yourself at home. “she gasped as she shook Emily’s hand, “ Your hand is like Ice. Here,” Emily was pulled to the radiator, “Warm yourself up and I’ll make us all a cup of tea.”

“Really, It’s alright –“

“Nonsense. I’m sure we could all do with a warm drink, its no problem at all.” Jenny strode over to the stain-less steel kettle which sat beside the stove and clicked it on to boil.

Benji took a seat opposite Near at the table while his wife retrieved mugs from one of the overhead cabinets.

“So, any problems or did you just miss me too much?” He asked.

“You know I can never stay away from you for too long. I love you too much,” Near replied sarcastically, “And since I love you, would you do me a big favour?”

This was it, the moment of truth. Emily looked to the ceiling and said a prayer to God that Benji would help them. She couldn’t bring herself to think about what would happen if he didn’t.

Benji grasped his hands together on the surface of the table, a pensive expression on his face and the hazel eyes looked up at Near from behind his round spectacles. Jenny suddenly turned her back to kettle and gave them her full attention.

“This favour?”

“Ah, yes. Well. Bluntly, I need an amulet to limit the power of a taboo. A strong seal and preferably blessed.”

“Is the seal imprinted on your chest not strong enough?” Benji raised his eyebrows quizzingly at Near.

“It’s not for me. There’s someone else who’s been…infected. He’s quite far along and, worst of all, Abbadon’s the one who is doing the damage.”

Jenny sharply inhaled and hugged her arms over her petite bosom.

“Jesus.” Sighed her husband, he closed his eyes lightly and shook his head, “The amulets going to have to be damn strong. It could take a while.” He looked up to Near, “Why do you always come to us with the hard ones?”

“I trust you Ben. You’ve pulled me out of some sticky shit and you both are the best suppliers I know.”

“That’s very flattering Near, “ The kettle clicked, steam was creating condensation on the doors of the cabinets above, Jenny moved back to the work top and started spooning out coffee into the mugs, “ and you know we are always willing to help you out of a mess. But we’re going to need more an explanation of that.” She swing her head round, “Is black coffee okay? We’re out of milk.”

Jenny made everyone their coffee, just how they preferred it, handed out the hot drinks and then took a seat by her husband.

“Anyway. Let’s have that explanation.”

Near looked to Emily, who launched immediately into the story of how Emmet was becoming a blood-thirsty and rancid undead. Everything from the moment he was abducted when he was just six-teen to yesterday’s events was explained in great detail. Benji and Jenny sat silently, listening intently and adding no comments what so ever to the vast amount of information they were receiving. By the time her story was over, all mugs were drained of their contents and Emily was sitting beside Near at the kitchen table.

Benji stroked the stumble on his chin, his eyes screwed into an expression of deep concentration and the index finger on his left hand tapped on the table. Jenny, who had obviously picked up on whatever emotions her husband was feeling, had her head cocked in such as way that she could see his face.

“Jenny, sweet’art. Could you put us on another cup of coffee.” Requested Benji without breaking from his pensive trance.

“Alright,” She sighed as she pushed herself back from the table and started gathering up the mugs.

Emily scrambled to her feet and followed Jenny to the sink to help her with her duties.

“I know it’s a lot to ask Benji –“ Near started.

“Aye it is. But you needn’t say anymore, its obvious that this is some pretty serious shit you have gotten yourself involved in but god knows what would of happened if you didn’t…”

“If I didn’t? Why is it good that I got myself thrown bum first into this?”

“Because Near. If you didn’t get thrown arse first into this, then this guy would change and become Abbdon’s solid gate way onto earth,” Benji’s head was just inches from Nears, his voice was a low whisper, “And that would suck.”

“When can you have it ready for?” Near brushed the blonde hair from his eyes and rubbed the small pink scar that cut through his left eyebrow.

“I don’t know. Amulets like the one you need take time and pretty damn powerful magik. Even if we did get the amulet sculpted and inscripted within the next week, we would still have problems finding a wika with that much skill to bless it.”

Emily returned to the table with two mugs of steaming coffee in her hands, she placed one in front of Near and the other in front of Benji and then took her seat.

“Actually, I know a pretty strong wika who can help. She was originally going to exorcise Emmet last night and cast another protection spell but we cancelled because there was no point. I’m sure she would be more than willing to help you bless the amulet.” She said with a slight smile creeping onto her face.

“Excellent!” Benji exclaimed, he rose from his seat and banged his right fist off the wooden table. Emily and Near jumped.

“Don’t get yourself over excited dear, “Jenny said, “ Think of your blood pressure.”

“Screw the blood pressure! There’s a young life needs savin’ and we are just the people for the job! So, let’s get to it.”

Jenny shook her head, her cheeks reddening from embarrassment.

“Alright Benji,” She sighed, “But at least stop hitting my furniture.”