Suffocating In Darkness

1/1

Suffocating… that’s what she said…

He didn’t understand.

Space?Time apart?… The words themselves did not make sense in his mind and he truly did not believe them until she walked out. The door closing precipitously behind her… But you can’t walk out on love. You can’t simply turn it off. It doesn’t work that way.

Yes, her words were cold when she left, but time would warm them. Love only grows stronger when it’s denied… That he was sure of, so he waited…

Night after night he waited, but she never did return… And each time the sun would set into the horizon, and she was not there by his side, a piece of him would die… They would say there was almost nothing left of him in the end.

Gone from him was her soft laughter, that lovely sound that once graced his ears. Gone was her touch, the soft sensation of her lips, the curve of her body. Gone was her scent, the one that would linger in the air around her…oh how he yearned for it, how he yearned for her. His fingertips craved to feel her once more- to hear her once more. Without her the air around him was empty and stale. He would breathe it in and feel nothing… There was nothing with out her that he was sure of…

Days passed and a hollowness soon filled his heart…it crept along in his veins and settled into the deepest corner of his mind where it grew, polluting his very soul. He could feel it and yet he did not care. Without her he cared for nothing…

And when night would fall he would allow the darkness to consume him. And that’s when he first heard it. Faintly at first… It was taunting him, dancing along the moonlight, her words of love as she whispered them to another… Those were his words… his sounds… his laughter…

When she walked out she took a part of him… and he wanted it back…

Time ticked by slowly. He would sit, and he would wait, and he would watch outside her window. Every passing second became more and more unbearable without her… To see her so close yet so far… When she would leave he would enter. Just to taste her scent in the air. To feel the spot where her body would lay at night... Just to be close to her once more...

He was weak, and he was needy, and he was desperate... but it was all for her.

He could not exist without her and therefore she could not exist without him. She was living a lie. She had to be... And he hated to see it. To watch her suffer under the delusions like that. Pretending to be happy when he knew in his heart she wasn't... How could she be?

He had to help her. He had to protect her. He had to save her from herself before it was too late. Because time does not stop, it only ticks on incessantly, unrelentless in its quest to prolong the pain that was this illusion of her life.

He could deal with pain. He would gladly live forever in the depths of hell for her to have a moment of pure and true happiness. He could live with the heartache of love being denied, but she could not… She was far too fragile to bear such heartache. She was a light hearted spirit, an angel of sorts…She was his angel and she always would be…

One day she would see her mistake, she would realize the love that was lost, and her heart would shatter under the pain. And this he could not allow...She would not be condemned to such a fate… No, not his angel.

No, she would not suffer like that… He was going to save her, the only way he knew how.

The sound of the twigs crackling under his feet filled the night as he approached the dimly lit doorway. With every step he took the noise grew. You could almost feel the pain in the air as they snapped, echoing his own.

His presence was heavy and dark and by comparison she almost seemed almost weightless as she fluttered around inside the home. Her feet were practically gliding along the carpet inside as she went about her nightly rituals.

The door buckled easily under his weight, the deadbolt she entrusted her safety to was no match for the desire the fueled him.

A scream filled the air as he stepped inside. She was frozen in fear, he was frozen in reflection. For a moment silence filled the air consuming the space between them, a space that use to be filled with a love, was now filled with something else.

The darkness from the night seemed to have followed him inside, but it was more then just a darkness, it was a sadness and it filled his lungs as he spoke. “It’s time…” his intentions fully revealed, and they would say she wasn’t very shocked.

“Please don't.” It was an empty cry. A final grasp at the last few beam of light as the darkness consumed the room.

“I have to,” was the reply. The ending was already set in motion. There was no turning back now.

“You don't.” It was a plea. A plea that was lost in the darkness. The darkness that use to be the light… the light that use to be their love… It was almost as if she knew her words were in vain. It was her fate. She would accept that one day, and she would forgive him, he just knew it…

“It’s the only way.” He whispered. And it was. It was the only way he knew.

“Please…don’t”

She was afraid. But he was forgiving.

“I love you…” Three final words before the darkness was shattered with one final burst of light.

A flash.
A bang.
A bullet broke the silence.

He promised to protect her from the world.
He promised to love her through eternity.
He promised to hold her until her last dying breath.

And he always kept his promises.