Fate In Hand

Chapter 2-Dnia Socdaneac;True Mysteries

I quickly opened the door and stepped out, hoping my mom nor my sister saw me being driven home by some random boy. I was making my way up the sidewalk and toward the house when I heard his car door open. I gave him a look like he was crazy, which he was, and stood in front of the door while I searched through my purse for my keys. When he placed his hand on my shoulder, I nearly had a heart attack.

"Don't I at least deserve a 'thank you'," he asked, turning me around so that we could see eye-to-eye.
"Fine, thank you for giving me a ride home. Now you can leave."

That's when I heard the door unlock from the inside. I knew it could've been either my mom or my sis, but I don't want them thinking Antoine was my boyfriend. That's what Mom would want anyway, but who cares what she thinks?

"Marie, I'm glad you're home. How..Oh hello there, I didn't realize someone drove her home." My mom eyed both me and Antoine cautiously, probably wondering why his hand was on my shoulder and why I had my back turned toward her.

"Hello Mrs. Vough. Sorry if this all seems rude, I can leave now if you'd like."
"Oh right," I mumbled "Stay when I say to leave, but leave when she comes out."
"No, that's just fine dear." I heard my mom say,"And please, just call me Melanie, Mrs. Vough is my mother." She laughed a little as she said that.

I pushed my way through them both, practically tearing Antoine's hand off of me as I bolted through the front door. I ascended the stairs and turned left down the hall, opening the door to my room and closing it again after I walked in. Pulling up my swivel chair that was always by my computer, I sat near the window and watched until Antoine left. This life I lived was just fine until I'd moved to the Eastern side of Tennessee. I left everyone behind, my old friends and cousins, it hurt worse when the only reason why we'd moved was because my mother left my dad when she found out he slept with someone else. I'd always loved Jason, my dad, but I guess we kind of had it coming. Of all the families in Tennessee, ours seemed to be the most unfortunate.
As soon as I heard his Porsche pull away, I kicked the wall lightly which wheeled my chair back toward my computer. I leaned down and pressed the power button on the hard drive and sat back up to turn the monitor on. Oddly enough when I turned it back on, the moving and the computer not being on for hours hadn't kicked it off of it's hibernating state. Oh well, I thought to myself as I logged into my e-mail to check my messages. One new one, after seeing who sent it my mood was of course a little happier. It was from my dad, I had told him my e-mail since my mom wouldn't accept it much if we talked on the phone or even sent mail to one another. Of course, though, gifts and things for the holidays were exceptions.
It read:

Dear Marie,
How're you doing hon? Everything going OK now that you've finally settled in? I'm fine up here in Nashville, things are alittle tight for now but maybe if we pursuaded your mom we could get you to visit me. I still by law have you as my child even though the divorce is final. Anyway, I hope you have a good life down there in Chattanooga and I hope to see you soon.
Love,
Dad

I was surprised at first on how short his message was, but I guess dad being dad he didn't have much to say. Even if he did he probably wouldn't know how to put it all down into words I could actually read rather than his usual slurred speech. I sent a short relpy back, trying not to get into too much detail or mentioning Antoine. I knew that'd get on his nerves that a 'young' boy was "putting his moves on me", that's what he'd say anyway. Only if he knew Antoine wasn't interested in me, maybe then Jason would relax a little.
After finishing, I turned my computer off completely to give it some rest. I stood up and undid my waist-length dark brown hair from it's ties, sighing a little before walking over to my bed. I basically threw myself down on it, lying on my back with my feet limply hanging off the edge as I stared up at my ceiling fan. The soft hum of the fan being on high served as my distorted lullaby, I tried not to go to sleep as I lay there.
I heard someone knocking on my door, hopefully it wasn't my mom coming to complain about being so rude earlier.

"Marie-Ellen Lenne Vough! Open the door!"
"Coming Mom." Damn I was right, well there's nothing left to do now but face the music.

(Time Skip)

I got changed into my black silk pjs and a tight black tanktop, taking care of everything before I climbed restlessly into bed. Slightly miffed, I thought about what Mom had said when she lectured me about boys. As I lay there in bed again, my eyes were already heavy. So I closed them, preparing for both the sudden irrational nightmares that were to come in the night and the rough day I was headed for in the morning.