Status: Active and in progress

A Little Bit of Love

Prologue

Philos stared out the window, tears welling up in her hazel eyes. It was raining outside; sheets of rain rolling down the closed window. The window fogged with each breath she let out and evaporated into the dry interior of the house. She was certain that if she did this enough it would start snowing in the room despite the space heater that was currently set on its highest.

"Philos! Why don't you do something useful with your time rather than sit there like a worthless lump?!" Her mother shouted down the stairs. Philos stood up from her favorite perch on the window seat and stretched letting out a sigh as she brought her pale, slender arms back down to her sides. She walked slowly to the foot of the stairs; head hung low and then glanced up at her mother who unlike her looked rather snug in a thick white robe and fluffy pink slippers. "What are you looking at you little wench?! Hurry up!"

"Yes mother," Philos answered as she hurried into the kitchen, nearly toppling over a small, highly polished wood table as she went.

She missed her father, and it wasn't the first time she wished she he was around more often. Once he had come home with a small silver locket for her, and took her and her sister Sophia to dinner by the sea. It was a cloudless night, autumn riding in on the soft breeze blowing in from the ocean and moonlight making his skin gleam. That's how Philos liked to remember her father, like one of the god's he always told fantastic stories of.

But like she said, he wasn't around too often. Sophia had once said their parents were divorced but Philos knew it wasn't true. Hyperion Riddle would never simply up and leave them with their mother, who for all her beauty was nothing more than a tyrant to her two daughters. He would always be there for them when work did not call him away. She often expressed her desire to go with him but he always refused, apologizing, saying that when she was older he would take her along. When she was older... That seemed such a long time from now.

She released another sigh, turned on the faucet and allowed the warm water wash over her tapered hands. Philos longed for the feel of her wand; smooth, weightless, solid, and most of all real. Nothing else felt quite as real as her wand as it tore swished through the air, spinning spells and casting charms to match her will. Magic is what kept her cemented to the Earth and the lasting memory was what kept her sane during the endless summer months. But eventually the time would come when she could leave this house and once again roam the vast corridors of Hogwarts. Just two more days. There were only two more days of slaving over dinner, washing mounds of dishes, trimming the dog's shaggy locks, and maintaining the wild garden.
♠ ♠ ♠
Philos' mother, Creusa Riddle.