Status: Active and in progress

A Little Bit of Love

Chapter 3

During the summer, it was Creusa’s piercing call that woke Philos up in the morning. At Hogwarts, however, her personal alarm clock was a very hyper Rose diving onto Philos’s deep, warm, faithful, and loving bed.

“Wake up, sleep head! It’s time to get up and start a brand new day! The first day of our fifth year! Aren’t you ex -- Oomph!”

Philos giggled groggily and settled back into her bed as Rose thudded onto the floor. “Ow, who threw this pillow at me?!” she cried outraged.

“I did. Some of us are trying to sleep, you know?” another girl answered from across the room.

Rose stood up and shoved Philos out of bed, causing her to fall off the opposite edge with a startled scream. She pushed herself to her knees and rubbed her eyes as Rose continued on, “I don’t like you, Samuels. I hope you know that.”

Miranda Samuels smiled sleepily as she sat up. “The feeling’s mutual, Weasley.”

“Merlin, it’s good to be back again.”

“Dibs, on the bathroom!” Their fifth roommate got up and ran to the bathroom adjoined to their room and securely looking it with a click.

“Hey, come back Lacy! Lacy, come on I have to piss!” Paisley cried out as she clambered to her feet and raced to the door. She banged on it for a moment and then the water faucet went in from within. “Bitch!” she said banging on the door once more before retreating to her bed and flopping down on it.

Miranda looked away from the bathroom door and then over towards the window where Philos was curled up on the floor, her arm under the bed. “Love, you haven’t fallen asleep on the floor again, have you?”

“Shoes…come out shoes…” Philos muttered sleepily by way of answering as she groped around under her bed where she’d tossed them the previous night. As she felt around her hand clamped onto something very soft and cozy which then pulled out and tore into her hand with a vicious meow. Philos bit back a scream and pulled her hand back out and clutched it to her chest. “Machus, you wretched little fiend! I feed you and buy you toys and this is how you repay me?!”

“Oh good, you’re awake!” Rose exclaimed happily clapping her hands together.

Philos glared at the redhead as the bathroom door swung open revealing a fully dressed and cheerful Lacy. Paisley rushed to the door, pushed Lacy aside and slammed it behind her.

“Yep, I have to agree with you, Christine. It’s good to be back,” Miranda said with a smirk before flopping back onto her bed.

~*~


Professor Alexis whistled at the two girls in the back of the classroom. “Oy, you two. Less talkin’ more stirrin’,” he called out.

“Sorry, Professor!” they sang in unison. The moment he turned away, Rose leaned over the cauldron and began whispering with Philos again. “I was this close to kissing him but then my dad came along and, well, that went down the drain. H e almost cursed the poor boy’s lips together. Mum was furious.” She giggled and the proceeded to mimic her mother, “‘These French boys think they’re so - what is it you say these days - fine?’ Ugh! Parents are so annoying sometimes! You’d think that they never did anything like that!”

Philos giggled and then bit her lip trying not to laugh. “Of course they didn’t. All parents are perfect angels.”

“That’s the thing. I know for sure that my mom had her first kiss when she was in her fourth year. Viktor Krum! Can you believe that?! My mum kissed a quidditch god!” Both girls stifled a laugh as their potion’s master stood up and looked over at them with a raised brow. “My dad was in his sixth year. Lavender Brown.”

“Lavender Brown? Isn’t that Paisley’s mum?”

“Mhm.” Rose laughed as she glanced over at Paisley who was bent over her potion’s book with a look of dismay. “I dodged a bludger there. I would’ve been duller than one of Grandma Molly’s old butcher knives.”

“Aw, that’s not nice, Rose. Paisley’s very nice. If you gave her a chance you might actually like her.” Philos said with a frown as she expertly sliced a flubberworm. “We’ve been in the same room with her since our first year. It surprises me that the social butterfly that you are still hasn’t tried to talk to her.”

Rose held up her hands in defense. “Hey, I’ve tried talking to her. But she makes a zombie look intelligent. The only person I’ve seen her talk to is Lacy and even then it’s only to argue about stupid things.”

“She’s shy, I’ll give you that,” Philos said. Then she grinned as she added the flubberworm into the bubbling cauldron. It turned a bright blue. “Pretty color. Is it right?”

Rose looked down into her potions textbook and read. “‘When finished, your potion should resemble turquoise in color.’ Yep, that looks about right.” She gazed into cauldron for a moment before looking back up at Philos. “Turquoise is blue, isn’t it?” Philos nodded and then pulled a vial out of her bag which Rose filled quickly and brought to the front.

Philos cleaned up quickly and waited for Professor Alexis to dismiss them which he did after seeing the clear desk and sparkling blue vial a moment later. Philos and Rose walked out of the classroom together and Rose glanced her new gold watch, which despite the color was very pretty and looked like a bracelet. “Ten minutes to spare. Good job, Love.”

“You too, little flower,” Philos said with a slight giggle.

“What to do? Who to see?”

Philos shrugged. “We could see what Ha--” Philos broke off with a frown and sighed before heaving her shoulders in a shrug. “Wait, I guess. No one interesting is around right now.” It was true enough. At breakfast, they’d received their schedules and then wasted no time in comparing them with all their friend’s schedule.

Not a soul.

“Well, then…We could…wait outside the Ancient Runes classroom.”

“Ancient Runes?”

“Erm…yeah…”

“Rose?”

“Yes?”

“You didn’t sign up for Care of Magical Creatures, did you?”

“Of course not,” Rose scoffed. “Who would sign up for that rubbish?”

“Erm…me?”

“You signed up for Care of Magical Creatures instead of Ancient Runes?”

“Yes…”

“Love…”

“Yeah?”

“I hate you, right now.”

“I love you too, Flower Bud!” Philos said sweetly hugging Rose. Then she took off down the corridor towards the grounds.