Status: Active and in progress

A Little Bit of Love

Chapter 4

“Today class, I'd like to introduce a new creature to you,” Professor Robins said to the class of 5 fifth years. Philos noticed that she was the only Gryffindor in the class; one was from Ravenclaw and the other three were Hufflepuffs. Hagrid had never been that popular. He loved to bring in too many different magical creatures, many of which were fairly dangerous or bizarre. But that was exactly why Philos loved this class. “Please open your books to page 357.”

Philos dug into her messenger bag and pulled out her book and quickly flipped to the page.

Magreon Dragon


The mageorus draconis, more commonly referred to as the Magreon Dragon were rediscovered by the Italian explorer Armand Mageo in 1913. This species, thought to be extinct at the time of their rediscovery, were once the chosen steeds of Dragon Riders throughout the ancient world. Warriors, now known to be ancient magicians who formed a spiritual contract with their dragons, chose the mageorus draconis for their loyalty, speed, and power.

Mageo studied the dragons in their natural habitat for some time and noted their very strange growth process. Most dragons hatch from white, brown, or spotted eggs and proceed to grow with minimal changes other than size and power. The mageorus draconis's eggs are transparent-shelled and filled with a swirling blue liquid. It is possible to observe the formation of the draconis fetus without disturbing the egg, which many have done.

Once hatched the mageorus draconis begins it's long process of change. Because of its complexity, we will only say that the creature's change is dependent on the magician who forms the spiritual pact with it. This change has, as of yet, been unobserved. The creatures are known for their particularity.

Since their rediscovery only two wizards have been granted a pact with them; Mr. Mahir Awad of Egypt (1933) and Mr. Andrija Nevik of Serbia (1989). While both are still alive, neither has ever agreed to an interview about their dragons and very few have seen them.

Since the exact powers of the contracted mageorus draconis are uncertain, there is no way for us to know their life expectancy. However, those who are not in a pact live for about 20-30 in the wild. Just long enough to see their litter (consisting of about 3-8 hatch-lings) to adulthood which starts at about 10 years of age.

Habitat and Diet

Mageo found one of the three known colonies while exploring the mountainous regions of Peru. Some believe that until Machu Picchu was rediscovered in 1911, it was a resting place for the colony. In later years, other colonies were found in Nu'utele, an uninhabited island in Samoa. Once discovered the Ministry of Magic in New Zealand, who owned the islands until their independence in 1962, hid their existence from muggles. The wards they placed are still in effect. The last known colony is in Nohoa, a Northwestern Hawaiian island. Like the colonies in Peru and Samoa, it is protected from unwanted visitors although authorized wizards of all countries have access to the colonies.

Their colonies suggest that the mageorus draconis prefer isolated mountainous regions with a high average rainfall. The mountains act as buffer zones, blocking high winds and providing shade and protection from potentially dangerous predators such as Brazil's aggressive Capulta, named after a Portuguese dragon-tamer of the early 1500s.

This breed is, like many other dragons, active during the day and prey on birds and small game. Some have also been known to feed on fruits and fish making them the only known omnivorous species of dragons. Rivers, lakes, creeks supplies the dragons with the necessary fresh water they require in large amounts and also as a place to cool off, bathe, and play.


Philos glanced up from the book with some confusion and just a bit of disappointment. When she had signed up for the class, she'd expected to not only learn about different creatures but to care for them. With Hagrid they had hands-on experience taking care of whatever he brought in. But just learning about them through books? It wasn't the same.

Still, she had signed up for the class. Granted it was for Hagrid's class but no one expected him to pass away so suddenly. He was always in such good health and he was always so energetic. She smiled and turned her attention back to the book.

Social Habits

Unlike other breeds, the mageorus draconis prefer to the company of others. Their colonies are fairly large, consisting for close to 250 individual members. Most breeds live in colonies no bigger than 30 individuals while the rest are solitary creatures.

Some members of the species seem to have pets. The only other animal known to have pets are humans. However, the mageorus draconis will sometimes allow a smaller animal to stay with them and will care for it by feeding and grooming it. This behavior is most observable in younger members of the colony.

The young are raised in groups with the mothers surrounding a valley or any area that seems safe and enclosed.


She could imagine that. Flashes of small winged creatures in various colors tumbling over each other.

Along with pets, the mageorus draconis also seem to utilize rocks, pebbles, and fruits as toys. Researchers and tamers who work with these dragons often give them quaffles and rubber beach balls (popular with muggles) which they seem to like and know how to use without instruction.

“Merlin, these things might as well be human,” Rachel Zabini declared. Despite the fact that the former Slytherin and current Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Prophet, Blaise Zabini, was her father, she was actually pretty decent. Insanely smart and a looker like her supermodel grandmother once was, Zabini was very popular in the school. But, while she wasn't sugar-sweet, she wasn't a stuck-up cow. That's probably why she was sorted into Ravenclaw.

“I was thinking along the same lines,” Philos agreed. “Think they play tag?”

“I wouldn't be surprised.” Zabini nodded and then looked to the front of the room. “Professor, since the next unit is, apparently, dragons, I was wondering if maybe we can have a guest speaker instead of just reading about them?”

“That's a good idea, Ms. Zabini. But I'm one step ahead of you.” The five fifths years exchanged looks of delight. They were actually going to meet a dragon-tamer! “Charlie Weasley has agreed to come to Hogwarts for next week to talk about raising and handling dragons.”

“It's nice to learn about that,” a Hufflepuff pitched in, “but what's the point? I mean, when are we ever going to use this? Unless one of us wants to become a dragon-tamer but I don't think that's a reality.”

“That, my dear, is where you are wrong.” Professor Robins walked to the front of the class where two crates sat side by side. “In these crates lie your on-going project. You will hatch and raise (for the year) a Magreon Dragon.”

Philos was shocked. “What about their parents?!”

Professor Robins smiled sadly as she answered, “This litter is orphaned. It's mum was killed in a particularly bad storm off the Hawaiian and the keepers found this lot without a father.” She clapped once to change the mood of the class or to change the topic or because it cheered her up, Philos didn't know which. “Now they're yours. I've already gotten the headmistresses permission and when they get top big, we'll use the stables for them.”

Suddenly, Professor Robins was all business. “Now, these creatures require great care and they are your project. If they are not well-kept you will fail this class and potentially get in trouble for animal neglect. Remember, it will be your responsibility to care for them. If you don't, no one else will. Finish reading the chapter on them by next class. Right now it's time to distribute them, when I call your name come collect an egg. Be very gentle!”

“Jane Cambry.” Jane got up collected the egg and held it out at arm's length, holding it gingerly.

“Marcus McLaggen.” Marcus was one of those Beater types and used to working with rougher creatures in the class. But for all that he didn't crush or drop the egg.

“Shane O'Connor.” He fumbled it, which caused Philos to flinch away, but caught it deftly. She'd forgotten that he was Chaser on the Hufflepuff team.

“Philos Riddle.” Philos stood up and walked to the crates then peered in. There were only two left but she carefully chose the one that seemed to call to her. The liquid inside gleamed at the places where her hands touched it and then faded as she walked away with the vaguely visible baby dragon which seemed to be suspended in the center of the egg.

“Rachel Zabini.” Zabini took the last egg, returned to her seat, and Professor Robins smiled at them. “Remember to be careful with the eggs. Keep them warm. Class dismissed.”

The five fifth years packed up, picked up their eggs and made their way back to the castle. But the whole way back, Philos thought about the soft hum of energy she felt coming from the egg beneath her fingers and what she would name her baby dragon.