Please Don't Leave Me Alone

Please Don't Leave Me Alone - Joe Jonas One Shot

Beep. Beep. Beep. The sound of the heart monitor echoed in my ears as I sat at the bedside of my best friend. I held his hand tightly, begging him to open his beautiful brown eyes as the tears fell from my deep blue ones. My name is Isabella Storm Tarver and I’m 20 years old. “Joe, please open your eyes.” I quietly begged my best friend again as my tears fell on his soft skin. My best friend is Joe Jonas; yes the teen heartthrob who has girls worldwide pining over, and he is 21 years old. I bet you’re wondering, why is Joe In the hospital? Why has he been in this stupid coma for the past 4 ½ days? Well, it’s because of me; because he decided to play hero and save my life from the path of a drunk driver. It was because he decided to save my life that he may never wake up. It was because of his act of heroism that I may lose my best friend, the only man I could ever love. That’s right, I said love. I was going to tell him how I felt the night of the accident, but now, I may never get that chance.

“Izzy, you need to get some fresh air.” A solemn looking Nick said as he entered the room with his girlfriend, my other best friend, Lexi. I shook my head; I refused to leave him. “What if he wakes up and I’m not here?” I asked, not really wanting or expecting an answer. I just couldn’t leave him; I mean, if the man you loved was in a coma because he saved your life would you leave? No, I didn’t think so. “Hun, you can’t keep beating yourself up over this; it’s not your fault.” Lexi said as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder. I shrugged her away. “But it is my fault. If I had never suggested that we go get Pinkberry than that drunk driver never would’ve been speeding towards us and Joe wouldn’t have had to save my life. Joe wouldn’t be in this mess if it wasn’t for me.” I replied as the tears streamed down my face as I buried my head into his sheets.

Just then, Kevin and Danielle entered the room, followed by Paul, Denise, and Joe’s doctor. Frankie has been staying with his grandparents for the past few days. Denise and Danielle were both crying as their husbands consoled them. Then the doctor began to speak after checking Joe’s chart. “Now that you are all here, I need to speak to you about Joseph’s condition.” He said grimly, making my grip on Joe’s hand a little tighter, praying for just a little sign of life from the motionless body of my crazy best friend. “After running some tests it has become apparent that Joseph’s chances of waking up have slimmed.” He said, causing me to gasp. “That being said, we have two options for you. You could either a. keep Joseph on life support and pray for the best or b. pull the plug. I’ll leave you alone so you can decide.” He finished before walking out of the room.

The minute the door closed, we all looked to Denise and Paul. “Kids, I think it’s best if we just…” Paul began, but I couldn’t let him finish. “NO! I won’t let you kill him.” I said, standing up and making sure my hand never left Joe’s. “Sweetheart, we know it’s going to be hard, but Joe wouldn’t want to live his life on a machine. He wouldn’t want us sitting her crying each day. You and I both know that.” Denise said as she came over to comfort me, leaving her husband’s arms. They all knew how I felt about Joe; the only person who didn’t was Joe himself. Like I said before, I was going to tell him the day the accident happened. “No. H-he’s going to wake up. He’s going to be fine and everything will go back to normal.” I said shakily, not caring how stupid I sounded as I started sobbing into Joe as I sat beside him once again. I felt Nick and Lexi’s arms around me just as we heard a knock on the door. We all looked up to see the doctor reenter the room. “Have you made your decision?” he asked. Denise and Paul nodded, telling him their decision. The doctor as they finished filling out the appropriate papers he had brought in with him with the permission needed to end the life of the man I loved. “I’ll leave you with him for a few minutes.” He said once he taken the papers before leaving again. I slowly got up from my position, the first time I had left his side in 4 ½ days so that everyone else could say their goodbyes.

Denise and Paul went first. Denise hugged and kissed her second eldest son multiple times as the tears streamed down her face and Paul hugged his son, brushing his hair out of his face before they moved away. Kevin and Danielle followed; Danielle kissed her brother-in-law on the cheek before Kevin took his brother’s hand. “Joe, I don’t know what we’re going to do with out you. I’m gonna miss having you around lil bro. I love you.” He said before making room for Nick and Lexi to say their goodbyes. Lexi had tears coming down her cheeks as she kissed her ‘big brother’s’ forehead before she let Nick say goodbye to his older brother. “Joe, this isn’t good bye. I’ll miss you man, see you in eternity.” He sang, trying not to cry. Then it was my turn. “We’ll give you a few minutes alone with him.” Paul said as he ushered everyone else from the room. I sighed and slowly took my place at Joe’s side again, sitting in the chair as I took his hand in mine. The tears started to flow again and I looked at the heart monitor.

“I can’t believe I’m doing this right now.” I whispered to him, thinking that maybe he could hear me, like in one of those movies or books. “Joe, I don’t know how to put this into words. This never should’ve happened, it should be me lying in this bed on the verge of death right now; not you. I need you to wake up Joe, your family needs you to wake up. You need to fight this Joe, I mean you’re Superman, you can fight anything! I don’t know how I’ll live if you aren’t here with me Joe. You’re my best friend.” I said as the tears streamed down my cheeks. “Joe, that day of the accident I was going to tell you something. I need you to wake up so I can tell you, I need to know if you feel the same.” I added, waiting a few seconds. “Joe, I love you. I have loved you since day one and that is never going to change. But Joe, you need to wake up. Your parents need you; Lexi and Dani need you; your brothers need you; your fans need you. But most of all Joe, I need you. I don’t know how to live without you; I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get over you. So please, please fight this and open those big brown eyes that I love so much so that I can tell you that!” I begged. When I got no response, I sobbed. Then the doctor came back in with the rest of the Jonas’ (minus Frankie), Danielle, and Lexi.

“It’s time.” The doctor said grimly. Paul nodded as he kept his arms around Denise, who was sobbing into his shoulder. Kevin and Nick were doing the same with Danielle and Lexi as the doctor shut off all of the machines that were keeping Joe alive. I stared blankly at the heart monitor as it finally flatlined, feeling the tears flow down my face. “I’m truly sorry for your loss.” The doctor said as he left the room. “I’m sorry, I can’t do this.” Denise said as she ripped herself out of Paul’s arms and ran outside. Her husband followed and the rest of them left too, leaving me alone with Joe. I ran my hand along his peaceful looking face, caressing it. Then it finally clicked in my head; Joe was gone. The one man I had ever loved was gone. I started to sob uncontrollably and began to talk to the lifeless body of the only one who could ever make the tears stop. “Joe, please please wake me up from this nightmare. Please just wake me up and tell me this was all just a dream. Joe, we had our whole lives ahead of us. I love you Joe and I need you. Please don’t leave me alone!” I sobbed as I buried my head into the side of his bed, still holding his hand.

As I sniffled I felt a movement, but I kept crying. Then I heard a groan, which caused me to shoot my head up. “Joe?” I questioned softly as I looked at his beautiful face. Just as I looked up, his eyes fluttered open and I felt happiness surge through me. “JOE! YOU’RE ALIVE!” I exclaimed as I hugged him as tight as I could without hurting him. “Bella, what happened?” he asked, using the nickname only he called me by. I looked down, only to have him lift my chin up with his finger. I had tears streaming down my face again and I couldn’t speak. “Bella, please don’t cry.” He whispered sweetly, wiping the tears with his thumb. “Joe, you died. You were gone.” I whispered back, still crying as my long brown hair fell in my face. “But I’m here now baby girl, and I’m okay.” He replied. I shook my head. “But you wouldn’t even have been in here if it weren’t for me. You should’ve just let the car hit me Joe.” I said, looking down again. He lifted my chin up again and brushed the hair out of my face. “Bella, you know I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if anything ever happened to you.” He replied. I looked down. “But I’m only your best friend. I’m not that special.” I said quietly. “Don’t you ever, ever say that Bella. You mean everything to me.” He responded. I looked up immediately. “Do you want to know how I’m even alive right now?” he asked. I nodded slowly. He smiled.

“I was standing beside my body, or well my spirit was. I saw you crying and heard everything you said. When they pulled the plug, I saw the white light and everything. There was someone waiting for me, it was my great grandma. She told me it wasn’t my time yet and she gestured towards you. She knew I wasn’t ready to leave you yet and she knew something that I had never been able to tell you. She said, Joseph you go back there and be with her. It’s not your time and she needs you. I smiled at her and came back, and now here I am.” He said. I felt the tears slowly continue. “What was it that you have never been able to tell me?” I asked quietly. He smiled and looked into my eyes. “I love you Bella. I’ve loved you for so long, I just never had the courage to tell you. I want you to be in my life forever and not just as my best friend.” He answered. I smiled as the tears kept falling. “I love you too Joe, so much.” I replied. He smiled and leaned his head up so that his lips gently connected with mine. He kept one hand on the side of my face, gently wiping my new, happy tears away. We pulled away a minute or two later and smiled. “I love you so much Joe, please don’t leave me alone again.” I whispered to him. He smiled and gently kissed my forehead. “I wouldn’t dream of it. I love you too Bella, please be mine forever?” he asked. I smiled and nodded. “Forever and ever.” I replied before I softly kissed him again. I pulled away and smiled, standing up. “Where are you going?” he asked. I smiled. “To get your family.” I replied. He smiled. “Don’t be long.” He pleads. I smiled . “I won’t be.” I said as I walked outside, smiling. “He’s alive.” I said to his family who all sped inside to make sure it was true…

16 Years Later
Joe was released from the hospital 3 days later and now, 16 years later we are all happy and healthy. Joe, Nick, and Kevin are still writing their music and occasionally tour, but the focus on something that’s even bigger than their careers now; their families. Danielle and Kevin have been married for 17 years and have 4 children; 15 year old Leah Michelle, 10 year olds Paul Kevin III & Andrew Gregory, and 7 year old Melissa Anne. Nick and Lexi have been married for 8 years and are the parents of 3 children; 6 year old Daniel Ryan, 3 year old Christopher James, and 1 year old Natalia Elizabeth. As for me and Joe, we’ve been happily married for 10 years. We also have 5 beautiful children; 9 year olds Robert Jacob & Charles Anthony, 6 year olds Seth Michael & Marie Antoinette, and 4 year old Lily Rae. I am also 6 months pregnant with our sixth child, a girl we plan to name Riley Jade. I’m glad that Joe saved my life and I’m glad he woke up that day. He kept is promise and has never left me alone. Now we can all live happily ever after.