Status: ---Finished---

Arranged in the City In Love in the Suburbs

Just My Luck

“I’m going to the mall. I’ll be back later.” I yelled as I hurried out the door.
“You can’t leave! There’s only three more weeks until the wedding and you still haven’t picked out your bridesmaids dresses.” My mother called out.
I hollered, once again, “For the thousandth time, I AM NOT MARRING ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
“Yes you are, and weather you like it or not he will be your husband. No if ands or buts.” That was always her argument. Not reason given. I always thought that it was because his family had money. Or that he had a law degree. Or that he comes from a family of five brothers and sisters and I am an only child.
“Why do you want me to marry him so bad. There are plenty of other men out there that are just as good as him or even better.” I debated.
“No one in the whole world is better than Andrew. He is the perfect man. His family is nice, his house is fantastic, and he is really cute. What more could you ask for?”
“Umm, let me think. How about a man you knows the value of a dollar, a man who can make a living on his own. Someone who doesn’t have to go to mommy and daddy every time he needs money. All this time I’ve put up with you saying ‘Oh he’s an angel’ or ‘Oh you guys are good together’ well I don’t want to be with him!”
“Well then be miserable the rest of your life because women shouldn’t be exploited the way you want to be. A real woman will stay in the house and take care of the family and cook for the husband. And that is the way you’re going to live, so learn to love it.”
“Oh My God!” I rolled my eyes. “Do you still live in the 17th century? I can’t believe that you want your daughter to live like a peasant wife. This is not what is best for me, or for Andrew or for our family. Andrew will be annoyed with me because I am in conflict with the arrangement. The children will be confused because mommy doesn’t really love daddy. Is that what you really want for your family? Is that how you want us to live?” I stormed out of the house and into the car before I had to hear another word of this.

I had been having the same argument for the past three years. Andrew had been out of my life for a long time. We would hang out together when we were three and four years old. Then I lived the rest of my life away from him. His family had moved out of town and put him into a different school. I was able to convince my parents to let me go to collage as log as I majored in law and double minored in dance and art. So when it was our freshman year in collage, we met again. It wasn’t love at first sight, but we did become friends. We would meet up for lunch, or go out to a movie occasionally, but nothing more.

When I came home for the holidays one year I was surprised to find that he, along with his parents, were in my living room. Holding a conversation with my parents. That was when they told us about the marriage. He was excited. I was jaw-dropped stunned. Nothing in the world could have prepared me for this. Ever since then I have been debating. But my parents did make him propose; they did make us date first. I guess they wanted us to feel like we fell in love. But I didn’t fall. He did.

Things were a spirited debate when my father said I had to drop out of collage to prepare for the wedding. He said I had to practice being a housewife. Needless to say, I was appalled. Behind my fathers back I joined some classes online. Art was easy. Paint the picture on the online canvass. Dance was harder. I would set up my web-cam and take class that way. But my father did find out one day and made me give up my computer and move in with Andrew. Just my luck.

.