Serendipity Girl

Serendipity Girl

Me, Kad, Jill and Matt sit in the school auditorium, Billie Joe and Adrienne are sitting behind us, watching five ninth graders dancing to some lame-ass pop song. Its near the end of the talent show, Rebel Tuesdays is the last performance and their coming up next.

"Hey did they tell you what song they're planning on playing?" I whisper to Kad.
"I think Jay mentioned some Clash cover," she mumbles. The stage curtains close and we hear some fumbling. The curtains open again and we see Rebel Tuesdays starting to play London Calling. Everyone cheers as the song come to an end.

"Alright everyone," Joey says smoothly into the mic, "This song is for a really special girl, so I'm warning you it's cheesy as hell." Everyone laughs a little, I can hear Billie's laugh loud and clear from behind, as Joey smirks. "This song is called Serendipity Girl." I feel my heart beating manically. He was staring right at me, his eyes burning into mine.

Mark bangs his drumsticks together four times then they all start playing.

She's the one who keeps it together,
The one who's never hot headed
Her halo may not be seen,
But she's an angel to me

Cause she's the serendipity girl,
And she means the world to me,
She's the optimistic skeptic
She's my serendipity girl.

Maybe just by chance,
Nothing strange at first glance,
But she brings a resolution
Its more than I can explain

Cause she's the serendipity girl,
And she means the world to me,
And she's the optimistic skeptic
She's my serendipity girl.

She's my serendipity girl,
She's my serendipity girl,
I love her and she's my world,
Because she's my serendipity girl,
She's my serendipity girl.


Everyone stands up and cheers. In that moment, I didn't know what was going to happen in the future. The saying, this is the first day of the rest of our lives really comes into play. If this is the first day, it's a pretty damn good starts, good starts lead to good things. As I look up at Joey on stage I know we're more than just high school sweethearts, but I'll just have to let the future unfold itself.

-End-