Defining the Word "Groupie"

Tania

Well here it is, the morning I think we were all excited for and dreading at the same time. I let my eyes stay closed until I felt everyone else wake up. I always woke up before everyone, but I hated that feeling of awkwardness as everyone else stayed sleeping.

Keeping my eyes closed and just laying there did give me time to think about different things. I thought about what the weather forecast said. I thought about the topic of the essay I needed to send in for the Honors program at Brown. I also thought about a guy named Topher Talley. None of my friends knew about him, but he was my favorite. The Bigger Lights were my dirty little secret band. I loved their music more than anyone else, but I didn't talk about them a lot, worrying I'd jinx all of it and they'd get so famous I'd have to try and win radio contests to get tickets. I had met him a few times before, just getting a hug and complimenting him on his clothes. As I thought about what I would say to him today, all of the girls started waking up.

I said a few words to them, but my eyes stayed closed. I wanted to keep my eyes closed as long as I could so I wouldn't have to face the reality of talking to him. Sex was okay. I wasn't a virgin, but I wasn't a slut. Sex didn't bother me. Talking to the guy who made my heart beat out of my chest and make my mind go blank made me nervous. I liked having the upper hand in the conversation and knowing exactly what's going on. That wasn't going to happen with Topher. I was going to stutter and look lie an incompetent fool. I prayed that it might turn out different than the scenarios that played out in my mind.

When I heard the shower being shut off, I opened my eyes and stretched. I saw that only Olivia was still in the room. I hopped out of my sleeping bag and went over to my duffel bag to look for something to wear. I had a few options, and for some reason I wanted to wear the sundress I packed. I smiled as I took it out, noticing how it was a pretty short length. Hey, its not like I was going to run into anyone and care what they think. Farrah came out of the bathroom, brushing her wet hair. She was wearing a bright red top, and I knew that she's definitely going to get Gabe's attention.

"You look nice," I said to her as she laughed and spun around.

"Thanks. Are you excited?" She asked me. I smiled to her and nodded.

"I can not wait," I said, giving her an excited hug before venturing off into the bathroom.

It wasn't going to be as easy for me as it will be for Farrah. I didn't have her looks. I thought I was pretty, but I wasn't gorgeous. Even if nothing happened, I was going to give it a hell of a try.