Thrills To Spare

A Bad Fit

Image

Jordan couldn’t remember the last time he allowed himself to blink. He was absolutely transfixed as he stared into the eyes of a child that was undoubtedly created in his own image. Chloe Marie Staal was born October twenty-fifth, nine fifteen in the morning at a healthy eight pounds four ounces.

As Phoebe napped soundly in the bedroom down the hall, Jordan held his baby girl in his arms that they had just brought home from the hospital the day before. Several of Jordan’s teammates and their significant others would be stopping by later in the day and all Jordan wanted right now was more time alone with his baby girl.

Chloe mimicked her father’s actions, staring back up at him with the same big blue eyes that both her Daddy and big brother possessed. With one tiny hand wound tightly around his pinky, Jordan slowly rocked his daughter as he sat in the plush recliner that sat in the corner of her nursery.

Everything about his daughter thrilled and frightened him to no extent. Jordan Staal had no idea what to do with a baby girl. The last time he gave a naked girl a bath was his wife about three weeks ago. He couldn’t do hair, coordinate outfits, or decide if she needed plain socks or the frilly ones that Phoebe had stocked up on. But Jordan was ready and eager to learn.

“Gimme.” Dylan stated, attempting to crawl up into his father’s lap, clearly up from the nap he had been taking with his mother. Jordan carefully manuvered his all-curious son up into his lap, sitting on his leg as he held Chloe in the other. “Baby.” He giggled, looking down at his baby sister.

"Oo." Dylan cooed as his Daddy showed him the proper way to lightly stroke Chloe's cheek with the back of his large knuckle. "Baby." He stated, eyes transfixed on Chloe's whose attention had shifted from her Daddy to her big brother who smiled down at her excitedly. "Hi." He smiled, waiting patiently for a response. "Hi." He repeated, staring down at her expectantly.

"Baby can't talk yet." Jordan smiled with a light laugh. "She doesn't know how." He explained. "She'll learn just like you did." Jordan placed a soft kiss on Dylan's forehead. “She’s pretty, huh?” Jordan asked, returning his gaze to his daughter who smiled a gummy smile up at him, crinkling her nose and eyes.

“Pretty.” Dylan repeated, laying against his father’s chest and looking down at Chloe who took to sucking on her Daddy’s finger, gumming it softly, making Jordan grin.

“See? The baby is hungry.” Jordan stated. “Now is when Mommy becomes useful.” He laughed softly at the joke Max Talbot made when he came to visit Phoebe and the new baby in the hospital the previous week.

”Mom’s milk is better than any udder milk!” He laughed, slapping his own knee as he sat in the rocker, Dylan perched happily in his lap. “It’s funny.” He grinned, noticing that Jordan was keeping in a smile as Phoebe threw him a less than amused look.

Max and Evgeni had dropped by to congratulate Jordan on his first daughter, each toting in several big pink balloons and even more feminine little stuffed animals and bouquets of pink flowers. Needless to say, Evgeni was excited to carry the items in, a big grin on his face before he sat the gifts down on an end table in the maternity suite.

Dylan wriggled in Max’s lap, reaching for Evgeni who was more than happy to take the little boy, bouncing him on his hip as he gabbed and pointed to his baby sister.

“Is your sister?” Evgeni asked, humoring the little boy who looked up at his Russian friend interestedly. Dylan nodded in response, playing with the gold cross that hung around Evgeni’s neck. “Your job to take care of her now.” He informed Dylan who listened intently. “Big brother is important, especially to little girl.” He pointed out.

Evgeni got the same speech when his own little brother was born, and if he knew that it was important to watch his little brother, it would be even more important for Dylan to watch over his baby sister.

“Don’t worry, the favorite Uncle is here!” Marc announced, stepping into the suite with Kara in tow, her engagement ring proud on her finger as they carried in several bags full of cute onesies, stuffed animals, diapers, and nap blankets.

“Pheeb.” Kara smiled excitedly, rushing to her side and pulling her into a tender hug from her bed. “Congratulations.” She smiled down at the beyond beautiful little girl. “Oh Pheeb, she is so gorgeous.” Kara swooned, looking down at the little girl with her trademark Staal blue eyes. Kara bounced back to her fiancé a few moments later after Marc held up a pink Rangers onesie with a happy grin to his brother. They took up the loveseat off in the other corner, cuddling into one another and whispering sweet things as they approached their own wedding this winter.

Phoebe was torn over Kara and Marc’s relationship, and now that she was a Staal, Marc was family and therefore it was her business. It was obvious that Kara and Marc were all sorts of wrong for one another, and while this was frequently a topic of conversation before she and Jordan went to bed, Phoebe was too tired for this certain issue at the present moment.

“Where’s Sid?” Phoebe asked her husband, frowning softly as he took his place by her bed.

“He had a publicity thing to do, but he’ll be by the house later this week.” Jordan reassured her with a soft kiss to her forehead. Sidney Crosby was such an active part of her children’s lives; it was so odd for him to be gone today.

It wasn’t long until Phoebe’s energy began to fade and they were down to just immediate family, the boys bidding adieu with a promise to see the Staal family again later in the week.

“Anything I can get you, Pheeb?” Kara asked as she stood by the door, Marc handing her the light fall jacket she brought along to the hospital.

“I’m good for now, I’ll see you soon.” Phoebe smiled as Dylan crawled up into her bed, huddling under her arm and against her chest delicately. Jordan explained that Mommy was very delicate now and he had to be extra gentle when Dylan wanted to give her love.

Soon Marc and Kara had left as well, and it was just the tiny family left in the suite. Jordan placed Chloe back into her mother’s arms, something she hadn’t gotten to do nearly all day as people rotated in and out to see the newest addition to the Staal family.


A few days later, Jordan played happy host as several of his friends and teammates filed into his home bearing balloons and gifts as well as flowers for the newest addition to his family.

“Sid.” Dylan giggled, reaching for by far his favorite Penguin with eager, tiny hands. It was so interesting to see Sidney Crosby interacting with the infant, something he had taken to quickly after Dylan had been born. Jordan and Sidney were perhaps the closest friends on the team, and when Evgeni joined the combination, they were like the three musketeers. Naturally, when Jordan and Phoebe had Dylan, Sidney was thrilled to partake in the next chapter of Jordan’s life.

Sidney had the uncanny ability to make Dylan smile, and when needed, the ability to calm him down after a bad dream on the nights he watched the baby for Jordan and Phoebe while they got a few hours alone. He stepped up to be a remarkable honorary Uncle to the first Staal and fully planned on doing the same for the next.

“Oh wow.” He replied, eyes wide as Jordan placed Chloe Marie into Sidney’s arms. “She’s so… pretty.” Sidney remarked.

“Don’t sound so surprised.” Jordan laughed, nudging his best friend softly. “She does happen to have some pretty good lookin’ parents.” He finished, swinging Dylan up into his arms, only to have the toddler squirm out of them and run into the living room to find someone much more interesting to play with.

“Yeah, yeah.” Sidney laughed softly, swaying lightly as he held the baby in his arms. “I’m just… wow.” He repeated, blushing at his depleted vocabulary. “I don’t think I’ve ever held a baby girl before.” He pointed out. “Well…” he paused, “nope, not before.” He finished.

“Look, I know that Phoebe really wanted to be here to ask you along with me, but I figure now is as good a time as any.” Jordan exhaled deeply. “But Pheeb and I were hoping you would want to be Chloe’s God father?” He asked softly.

“Jordan, holy… yes of course.” Sidney smiled excitedly, opening up one of his arms to hug his good friend. “Thank you.” He replied gratefully. “It means a lot for you o ask me.” He blushed again.

“Well God forbid anything ever happen to either of us, you’re the greatest guy we could think of to step in.” He shrugged, pushing a hand through his unruly hair that desperately needed a cut.

“Hey, there’s stuff for Pheeb in the bag, lots of Coke products and a couple good for one free sake-induced sushi date with yours truly.” Sidney laughed with a goofy smile as he held his God daughter in his arms tenderly.

“Nice.” Jordan laughed as his soon to be sister in law bounced down the stairs with a big smile on her face.

“Sidney!” She giggled, hugging him tightly yet cautiously minding the curious baby between them.

“Hey Kara.” Sidney blushed a violent red as she kissed his cheek softly. It was no secret that Sidney Crosby had a soft spot in his heart for Marc Staal’s fiancé and damned the day that he got to her before him. “How’s Marc?” He asked softly.

“Oh Marc is Marc, how are you? I haven’t seen you in forever!” She insisted, placing a hand on his arm. Jordan rolled his eyes as he could practically see Sidney’s heart accelerate in his chest.

He retrieved Chloe and left the two to talk, moving to the family room to greet more guests before checking his watch to see that Phoebe would be gracing him with her presences any moment now. “Better for keep an eye on your woman.” Jordan advised his brother, jabbing his thumb over his shoulder in Kara and Sidney’s direction. Kara and Marc had an odd relationship, they fought and bickered nonstop, in fact, the Staal family was sure they were going to split until Marc invested in a fifteen grand Cartier engagement ring. Needless to say, there was a family pool going on how long the couple would last before they called off the wedding.

Marc shrugged off his brother’s warning as he continued his conversation with Marc-Andre who sat beside Evgeni on the large sectional couch.

“Give me.” Evgeni insisted, holding out his hands for the little girl. “I want.” He finished, grinning widely as Jordan set the baby in his friend’s arms, watching as the Russian turned to mush in front of the baby while he and Vero, Marc-Andre’s wife fussed over how pretty she is.

“Nothing sexier than a man with a baby.” A familiar pair of delicate arms wrapped around Jordan’s waist from behind, accompanied by a content and well-rested voice.

“Hey there.” Jordan smiled, bringing his wife into his arms and kissing her lips tenderly. “How was your nap, Mama?” He asked quietly.

“Incredible.” She grinned, loving the way Jordan’s body felt against hers. “Looks like this shindig is in full swing.” She commented, looking around to see the main floor of their spacious suburb home packed with hockey players, family, and friends alike. “Surprise, surprise, there’s Sidney and Kara flirting.” She giggled, pressing her mouth into her husband’s shoulder to stifle her laughter.

“They’re not flirting.” Marc huffed as he finally hauled his ass off of the couch, taking what Phoebe said much more seriously than anything his brother could say. Phoebe tried to not make it obvious as she peered over Jordan’s shoulder to watch Marc drag Kara away from Sidney, causing the two in question to both frown immensely.

“Good thing I married into your family.” Phoebe giggled softly. “It’s so incredibly entertaining.” She assured, kissing Jordan’s cheek before Vero could hop up from the couch to greet her good friend with congratulations.

•••

Hours later, many of the guests had left sans Sidney who was dead asleep on the couch with Dylan laying contently on his chest, sucking on Sidney’s thumb for a change instead of his own. Also, Kara was left at the Staal home, insisting to Marc that she could find her own ride home after a particularly stimulating argument in the kitchen that evening. A fight in which she also informed Marc he could cuddle up to a couch cushion that night.

“Careful.” Phoebe whispered as Jordan carefully picked up Dylan from Sidney’s chest, coddling his son into his own body before bringing him up to change him into his pajamas before tucking him into his crib for the night.

“Sid, babe.” Phoebe rubbed the sleeping man’s arm softly. “Honey, wake up.” She whispered. Sidney’s eyes fluttered open, sniffling as he attempted to sit up. “Come on sweetie, you can crash here for the night, you’re too tired to be driving.” She insisted. “I made up the bed in the spare room.” She said, ushering him up the stairs, holding back a soft laugh at his heavy-lidded eyes.

“Up and to the left.” She directed, watching as he dragged his heavy feet up the stairs. “Now where’s the other one?” She sighed, turning back to the main floor to find Kara.

“Basement.” Jordan sighed, walking back down the stairs again a few moments later. “All three babies are asleep. Dyl, Chlo, and Sid.” He clarified with a smug little grin.

“Will you get Kare? I’m starving.” She sighed, mouth watering at the idea of driving down the street to get a bag full of White Castle sliders. Jordan jumped as Phoebe slid her hand into his jeans pocket, pulling out the keys to his Range Rover.

“Two Whoppers.” He requested. “No tomato and extra mayo, and a big sleeve of onion rings.” He grinned, his own stomach growling. “I’ll get Kara all tucked in.” He winked.

“You’re the worst.” Phoebe shook her head with a laugh before kissing his lips softly, heading towards the garage.

Sure enough, when Phoebe returned with a bag full of whoppers and onion rings, Jordan was the only one awake, sitting on the family room couch and flipping through the late night shows.

“Mm, and my woman returns with sustenance.” He grinned as she took a seat next to him. “Oh God, now this is heaven.” He wiped away pretend drool as she handed him his burgers. “You ate some!” He accused with wide eyes as she also handed him the box of onion rings.

“I ate like two.” Phoebe laughed before stealing another and popping it into her mouth, watching as Jordan’s jaw dropped. “Make it three.” She giggled, unwrapping one of her chicken sandwiches.

“I guess I’ll keep you.” He muttered before taking a big bite of his burger, loving the way that the mayo oozed out of the other end. “The only think that could make this night better… is unattainable.” He sighed as his wife leant into him, nibbling on her sandwich as they turned on Conan O’Brien. Phoebe still had four more weeks until she was in the clear for sex, and even then, she wanted to hit the gym a few weeks before that. “But I’d gladly settle for a blow job.” He gave her a shit-eating grin.

“You are ridiculous.” She laughed, shaking her head as she tangled their legs together on the ottoman. “Babe, did Kara go home?” She asked, tilting her head, taking a drink of her Hi-C Fruit Punch.

“No, I stuck her in a spare room.” Jordan replied casually, finishing off his first burger and reaching for the second.

“Which one?” Phoebe asked, knowing Sidney was in one while the only other one had been recently converted into a nursery for the new baby.

“The one Sid is in.” Jordan grinned to himself.

“Jord.” Phoebe sighed. “Fine, but you get to clean all this up in the morning.” She rest her head on his chest. Late in the night, Jordan was the first to wake up seeing as they had both fallen into a grease-induced sleep on the couch. He carefully woke her up and after tucking her into bed; he tiptoed down the hallway to check on his two children. Dylan and Chloe were both fast asleep and his curiosity got to him too badly to keep him from peeking into the next room.

A mixture of emotions went through Jordan as he saw his best friend curled around Phoebe’s best friend. He didn’t mean any harm, and while he loved his brother to death, he knew that Marc and Kara were a bad fit. And while they were content for the night, Sidney and Kara would have a lot to face in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
update!
i can't believe this story has 78 subscribers
you're all beautiful!
i'd LOVE to hear from at least half of you on this update
can i get any predictions for the story?
what do you think of baby chloe?
much love as always!
<3