Thrills To Spare

Better With Time

Phoebe peeled herself from Jordan’s clingy body the next morning, groaning softly in protest as he attempted to pull her back into him. Jordan was a bona fide cuddler who craved human contact, Phoebe’s human contact, that is. “Stay.” He insisted as her naked form pulled from his.

“Jord, we have a baby.” Phoebe smiled, leaning down to kiss him softly on the forehead. “Sleep.” She insisted as she got out of bed, knowing his tired eyes were on her as she sauntered over to the closer to pull on a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Phoebe could also hear the garage opening meaning that either a burglar had decoded their garage keypad or Kara was finally back from Sidney’s.

Chloe smiled rather happily up at Phoebe and raised her tiny arms in recognition, waving her fists about until Phoebe picked her up. “Babe, I love ya, but you stink.” Phoebe smiled as she changed Chloe’s diaper before coddling her in her arms. “You are so pretty, I mean, you have one pretty Mommy, but you have one beautiful Daddy.” She cooed “Too bad Mommy woke up so early, or she could have gotten to see Auntie Kara’s walk of shame, now that would have made seven in the morning worth it.” Phoebe giggled as Chloe’s eyes slowly began to droop shut again.

Phoebe rounded the corner into the family room where Kara was already nursing a cup of coffee and a bagel from their pantry, watching the news to check the weather. No words were exchanged as Phoebe passed her on the couch to the kitchen where she warmed a bottle for Chloe, but Kara could only take Phoebe’s motherly stare for so long as she stood in the doorway of the family room, feeding Chloe.

“So?” Phoebe finally asked, cocking her hip out before waking into the room and taking a seat in Jordan’s recliner.

Oh my God, amazing.” Kara gushed, tossing her head back to the cushions of the couch none too dramatically, as Phoebe began to laugh. “Like, Pheeb… best… ever.” She sighed at a loss for words.

“That good?” Phoebe asked, eyebrows raised, quite intrigued if Sidney Crosby was as much as a virginal nerd that his persona lead people to believe; the same boy who once blushed after using the word butt.

“Like… earth shattering insane.” She shook her head, not being able to do the experience justice with words. “Hat trick.” She spoke pointedly, looking at Phoebe with intent whose eyebrows shot up into her hairline. “And that was before midnight.” She winked. Phoebe gasped before getting up to place a sleeping baby in her playpen softly, covering her with a blanket before hopping on the couch right beside her best friend.

“Tell me everything.” She insisted with wide eyes, pulling her feet up to tuck under her body in full gossip mode. “How big?” She asked as they both emitted rather girlish giggles.

“Not like Ron Jeremy big, but most definitely above average. I’d give him a nine out of ten if you know what I mean.” Kara winked as the pair giggled some more, acting more like high schoolers than grown women. “And trust me, he knew how to use it.” She added, closing her eyes as a violent pink blush came over her features.

“Is it bad that I never would have guessed that?” Phoebe asked with a sheepish smile.

“Psh, and you think I did?” Kara laughed, “I thought for sure he was going to need OnStar navigation and a detailed map.” She insisted, “but Goddamn.” She shook her head. “And those lips.” She swooned from the memory. “I’ve been marked.” She giggled, pulling the collar of one of Sidney’s sweatshirts away from her neck to reveal the several hickies that lined her neck. “And I promise, this isn’t the only place I’ve got ‘em. But I see I’m not the only one.” Kara winked, motioning to the similar battle wounds Phoebe was sporting.

“Can’t keep his hands off of me.” Phoebe giggled, leaning into the back of the couch. “Oh my gosh, what are you going to say to Marc?” Phoebe asked with wide eyes, pulling herself back to reality.

“Marc and I both know that we’re not going to be getting back together.” Kara said pointedly. “Things have been so hard for so long and it feels like the benefit doesn’t outweigh the effort, you know?” She asked, sighing softly.

“Well even if you guys don’t work out, at least one good thing came from your relationship.” Phoebe shrugged, causing Kara to look at her questioningly. “You two got Jord and I together.” She blushed softly. “I can never thank you enough for that.” She said, pulling Kara into a tight hug.

“Don’t mind me, just let this progress.” Jordan whispered as he tiptoed into the family room. “Take that anywhere you want.” He encouraged, causing Phoebe and Kara both to roll their eyes.

“Shut up, Staal.” Kara laughed, leaning back into the couch again.

“So did you and Sidney make whoopee?” He asked with a grin.

“Make whoopee? Who are you Bob Eubanks?” Phoebe laughed.

“Would you rather I say bump uglies? Fuck like bunnies?” Jordan suggested, watching as Phoebe’s younger best friend blushed violently. “You did!” He laughed. “Tell me about it, Sidney’s lips are tighter than a nun’s knees.” He said, taking a seat down in his recliner, putting his feet up.

“Honey, girl talk.” Phoebe smiled sweetly.

“I never get to hear the juicy details.” Jordan sighed, pouting softly as Kara got up from the couch, walking into the kitchen. “Why is she here so early? She dipped out on him?” Jordan whispered to Phoebe who could only shrug in reply. “Hey Kare, why did you give Sid the slip?” Jordan called out rather loudly, making Phoebe giggled and cover her face.

“I didn’t give him the slip!” Kara huffed as she returned to the family room, a water bottle in her hands. “I just… left early…” She narrowed her eyes.

“You gave him the slip. You can’t rock his world all night then disappear in the morning.” He insisted.

“What was I supposed to say?! Oh hey, thanks for last night, but I don’t know what you really want from me, so… yeah.” She rolled her eyes, sitting down on the couch and placing her feet in Phoebe’s lap.

“Well, I’m pretty sure he wants to put a ring on it, but there’s that whole Marc issue, so you’re gonna need to clean that up.” Jordan stated casually, making Kara’s eyes grow wide.

“Put a what on it?” She asked, as there was a knock on the front door.

“It’s me!” Sidney.

“Hide me!” Kara squealed, jumping up from the couch to run upstairs before Sidney could invite himself into the home. Jordan and Phoebe both look rather alarmed at the series of events and the trail of dust Kara left behind, taking the stairs by twos.

“Mornin’, Sid.” Phoebe smiled politely as Jordan went to start a pot of coffee.

“Hey Pheeb.” He sighed, running a hand through his tousled hair before he could practically throw himself onto the couch, setting his head in her lap as he looked up at her.

“Everything alright?” She asked, tilting her head at him before running her own fingers through his dark curls, knowing he probably had a lot on his mind.

“I’m in love, Phoebe.” He sighed wistfully, causing Phoebe to stifle an ‘aww’ at one of her dear friends. “Absolutely in love.”

“Wow Sid, I’ve never heard you say that before.” Phoebe said honestly.

“I don’t think I’ve felt like this since I was twelve and I kissed my friend’s little sister who worked at the concession stand during our practices.” He stated thoughtfully.

“So I’m guessing it’s safe to say this is about Kara.” Jordan said as he entered the family room again, handing Phoebe a World’s Best Mommy mug and setting one for Sidney down on the coffee table.

“Of course.” Sidney replied, crossing his large feet and closing his eyes as Phoebe lightly scratched his scalp with her freshly manicured nails. “I just… what am I supposed to do?” He asked, looking up at Phoebe with his deep brown eyes.

“Honey, I don’t know what to tell you. Time to pull up your big boy pants and go get what you want.” Phoebe smiled with a soft laugh. “And speaking of what you want, she’s upstairs.” Phoebe hinted.

“I figured.” He sighed, “but why did she run if she doesn’t want anything more with me?” He asked. “Last night was just so… so… and then this morning…” He fought himself.

Poor Sidney. Phoebe bit her lip as she tried to comfort him. He was in love with a girl who was just as afraid to make a move as he was. It made her feel rather thankful that she and Jordan were both rather aggressive individuals when it came to their relationship and neither were afraid to say what they felt.

“Sid, you’re my boy and my best friend, if you’re gonna do it right, you gotta take control.” Jordan suggested simply. “If you need to, you go prehistoric on that honey, drag her back to your cave, and bang her on the head with your club a few times. Or, you know, put that club anywhere you want, but you get the picture.” He finished.

“God, Jordan.” Phoebe snorted as Sidney blushed.

“Give her a reason to stay.” Phoebe added softly. “Make her see why she doesn’t need to go back to New York. Just be yourself.” She insisted, leaning down to kiss his forehead softly before he sat up, sighing as he rested his head in his hands.

“What do I have to offer? I can’t ask her to move in with me! What if… what if we’re not going to make a good couple and we’re just good at having great sex.” He lowered his voice for the last word, the tips of his ears turning bright red.

“How about this? We keep her around for a few more days and in that time you can plan your attack, okay?” Jordan asked.

“Perfect.” Sidney grinned. “Thanks so much you guys.” He grinned boyishly. “Do you think I should go up there?” He asked, tilting his head toward the stairs.

“I think you should let her sleep, it’s early, and I think you should do the same because it sounds like you didn’t get much rest last night.” Phoebe couldn’t help but giggle as he covered his face because of her comment.

“I’ll be back later.” He said, getting up and stretching. “Thanks for the advice, and the coffee.” He insisted.

“Bye, sweetie.” Phoebe smiled as he headed towards the front door.

“This is a lot of fun.” Jordan grinned.

•••

Later that night, Kara offered to watch both babies so Jordan and Phoebe could have some time alone, something they hadn’t had in a very long time.

“Mommy you are looking so good.” Jordan grinned over at his wife as he drove his SUV through downtown Pittsburgh. Phoebe was dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a sunshine yellow zip-up over a white v-neck, showing off her post-baby chest. “Now I have something to look at if the movie sucks.” He joked as he found an adequate parking space.

“You’re horrible.” She giggled as he pulled her body into his, steering her toward the door with a distressed baseball cap pulled down over his eyes, wishing to have an interruption-free date night with his wife. “Strike that, you’re just a whore.” She added as an afterthought.

“Only for you.” He grinned cheekily, walking up to the ticket booth to purchase two tickets. Phoebe went ahead to the concession stand, getting a bag of Buncha Crunch for herself, a large popcorn with butter for Jordan, and a pop to share. “Mm, you know me so well.” He kissed her lips softly as they linked hands once again, walking to their respective theater.

“Where do you wanna sit?” She asked, standing in front of the seats looking upward. It was relatively empty seeing as this particular movie had been in theaters for a while and it was a Tuesday night.

“In the back, duh.” Jordan stated, taking the lead and bringing her to the absolute back row of the theater, making her roll her eyes as he picked a pair of central seats. “This way we can make out.” He grinned excitedly, setting his popcorn in the chair next to him, sliding his shoes off and crossing them over the back of the chair in front of him.

“Mm, when was the last time we got to see a movie?” She asked as the lights began to dim, opening the box to her candies.

“A long ass time ago.” Jordan remarked. “Very, very long ago, and I think the last movie we saw was rated G.” He laughed. As the previews began to play, Phoebe melted into Jordan’s side, relaxing for the first time with her husband in a very long time.

True to his word, Jordan pounced halfway into the movie, damn near pinning Phoebe into her seat as he tried to round second base in the back of the theater, sliding one of his paws up her shirt. It made her feel like a like a teenager again, the same way her freshman boyfriend would act when they were alone in his basement watching a movie. Only Jordan didn’t try to dry hump her leg.

They exited the theater after the movie, Phoebe giggling softly with bright pink cheeks as Jordan tightly held her hand, leading her back to the car and out to their favorite Chinese place, the Tea House.

The couple requested a booth near the back and followed the hostess to their table, being seated right away. Phoebe blushed as Jordan’s feet tangled with hers under the table and one of his hands immediately found one of hers atop the mahogany. Jordan loved that he could still make Phoebe feel like this after all they had been through together, more like teenagers than married adults.

“I know exactly what you want.” Jordan grinned confidently, not bothering to scan the menu.

“No you don’t, maybe I’m feeling adventurous tonight!” She stuck out her tongue at him immaturely as he squeezed her hand.

“Baby, your idea of adventurous is getting the same thing you always get but one pepper up on the spice scale.” Jordan laughed, watching as her cheeks blushed softly. “You want the basil peanut chicken and crab rangoons.” He stated, closing his menu.

“Yeah, well you want the teriyaki beef and eggrolls.” Phoebe countered with a grin; knowing her husband just as well as he knew her.

“And if baby boy was here he loves the pineapple rice.” Jordan grinned goofily as he spoke of his son.

“I miss Dylie.” Phoebe sighed softly, “and baby girl.” She smiled.

“They’re having fun with Auntie Kara.” Jordan assured. “We needed time away, too.” He insisted.

“Do you ever think about what our babies are going to be like when they’re older?” Phoebe asked softly as she took a sip of her water.

“All the time.” Jordan nodded, rubbing his thumb over the soft skin of the back of her hand, staring down at it. “How they’re going to do in school, what kind of friends they’ll make, will they be athletes or artists… or both.” He shrugged. “As long as they’re good kids, good citizens, I’ll be happy.”

“I like to think Dylie will grow up to be just like his Daddy.” Phoebe smiled. “I know he’s going to be handsome, smart… enough.” She giggled as he rolled his eyes. “Have all the girls chasing after him, but being smart enough to stay away.” She grinned. “And so talented. I know you’re itching to get him on the ice.” She smiled.

“Chloe is going to be stunning, just like her Mommy.” Jordan began. “Dyl and I are going to have our work cut out for us, beating those boys away.” He laughed as his blue eyes sparkled in the dim lighting. “So intelligent like her Mommy, her Daddy’s biggest fan.” He grinned confidently. “And social to boot, she’s already the biggest flirt I ever met.” He laughed. “Of course a great big sister.” He winked, making Phoebe roll her eyes.

“We said two.” She said, holding up two fingers.

“Give me time, baby, I’ll convince you.” He smirked confidently as the waiter finally came by to take their order.

Dinner was delicious and it was so relaxing to get through an entire meal without pausing to change a diaper or tend to a fussy baby boy. Jordan sighed, looking at his watch to see that while it was already nine o’clock, he didn’t want their date to be over quite yet.

“Where are we going?” Phoebe asked softly as Jordan’s car when in the opposite direction of their suburb home.

“I know a place.” He smiled, turning into a small parking lot that catered to a hole-in-the-wall café he and Sidney had stumbled upon one day after wandering around after a practice. They had good coffee but the little inserts in the menu that advertised dancing on Tuesday and Thursday nights didn’t go unnoticed to the blonde Canadian.

“What are we doing?” Phoebe asked, terribly intrigued as he held the door open for her, guiding her into the small place of business with a strong hand on the small of her back. “Oh, Jordan.” She smiled, biting her lip as she witnessed a few couples dancing in a dimly lit room to a live jazz band that was playing a low, lazy tune. “Who knew Mr. Staal could be such a romantic?” She asked as he twirled her softly into his arms on the dance floor.

“I happen to be very romantic and you know it.” He said pointedly before leaning down to kiss the corner of her mouth delicately. “I know what kind of flowers you like and that you love white chocolate and I am the best foot-rubber you know. I am the epitome of romance, romance is my middle name.” He whispered softly into her ear as they swayed together, one arm wrapped around her waist and her other hand in his as they danced rather traditionally.

“Got me on that one.” Phoebe sighed contently, resting her head on his chest as the slow, sweet tune lulled them into a blissful state. “Remember when you took me dancing for the first time?” She asked, referring to their third date.

“I try not to.” He chuckled lowly, resting his chin on her head.

“You’ve gotten much better, baby.” Phoebe giggled. When she and Jordan first went dancing he was heavy and clumsy on his feet, constantly stepping on her toes and moving like a horribly awkward baby elephant.

“At least now you’re not in danger of me breaking your foot or anything.” He laughed, blushing as he pulled her body tighter against his. “I like to think of my dancing as our relationship.” He added thoughtfully.

“How’s that?” Phoebe tilted her head up at him.

“It just gets better with time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i updated again in honor of getting almost ten comments!
maybe i can get ten for this one?
just a cute fluffyfluff because i love fluff =]
comments will make me smile!
<3 kara