Status: Completed

Maybe It's Not Meant To Be

One

“Don’t worry, he wasn’t worth it,” I said.

“That’s what everyone says. But I still miss him.”

“But he’s got someone else now, and you should try to get over it. No point in wasting time. You’ll find someone better, Michelle.”

“That’s easy for you to say, Alex. If you haven’t noticed, you’re the most popular guy in the school, no wait, the town. All the girls just throw themselves at your feet,” she said.

“But I don’t see them. They’re all the same to me,” I replied.

“I bet you’re so glad I’m not one of those girls.”

And she didn’t know how wrong she was.

“Yeah,” I lied.

“Even though you’re a guy,” she said, “you still make a better friend than most girls I know. They just…don’t get it.” She gazes over the pond. “I bet you think I’m being stupid. When you broke up with your last girlfriend, you didn’t cry or anything. You’re stronger than me.”

I didn’t cry, because - as bad as it sounds - I didn’t feel anything for her. Sure, she was hot, and the sex was great, but it didn’t feel right. But I definitely wasn’t going to tell Michelle that.

“Maybe I did, on the inside.”

She trailed her hand through the water, making tiny ripples on the surface. I looked at her, and she looked so fragile and pale. But I knew she was strong, strong enough to get over this.

“I doubt that, Alex,” she said. “You can get over things so much easier than I can. But I do know that when I get married, you can be my maid of honor.”

“Oh yes, I would look lovely in a sparkly dress.”

She laughed. It wasn’t the prettiest sound in the world, but one of the best in mine. It felt good to make her happy. And I told myself that that’s all I needed – her happiness. But part of me wanted more.

“Well, maybe I’ll ask whoever I’m marrying to make you best man. That will be less awkward for you. But I’d still love to see you in a dress,” she said.

“I do have some great legs, don’t I?”

She smiled, and said, “Sure you do. But either way, you’ll be included.”

I did want to be included, but maybe not in the way she was thinking.

“Thanks, Michelle.”

She sighed. “I guess I do have to get over Drew. But you were right; talking to someone did make me feel better.”

“I’m glad you feel better then.”

She turned to me as she got up. “You know what I love most about you?”

“What?” I asked.

“I love that we’ll never, ever date each other, so we’ll never be able to break each other’s hearts. Thank you, Alex.”

And with that, she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be appreciated. :)