Status: Completed

Maybe It's Not Meant To Be

Three

Alex and Michelle remained friends for their whole lives. Michelle had two beautiful girls, Krystalyn and Elina, who knew Alex as “Uncle Alex”.

Alex never had any children. That is not to say that he never married. He fell in love many times throughout his life, but his greatest love was always Michelle.

He married a woman named Mari, but a year passed, and Mari died in a car accident. He was heartbroken, as he had loved her almost more than anything. But just almost.

Alex went through depression. All he could think about was Mari, and this was the only time in his life he didn’t always think about Michelle. But, fulfilling her duties as Alex’s best friend, Michelle helped Alex through it, and he once again fell in love with her.

Although Alex had lost his wife, he did not hurt as much as he did during Michelle’s wedding. He knew that Mari had loved him, and did not purposely leave. But Michelle was right here in front of him, and he knew that she never loved him.

The worst were her children. They were beautiful and sweet, raised well by their parents. Alex thought of them as part of his family, but still, it hurt to see them. They were living proof that Michelle preferred someone else.

Krystalyn and Elina grew up, and moved out. It was at this point that Alex almost told Michelle his secret. But he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He knew that it wouldn’t do any good to tell her, so he kept it to himself.

Over the years, he wondered why he eventually got over Mari, but could never let go Michelle. And he wondered…what could have happened? But it was too late for him.

Michelle eventually had grandchildren, and she and Alex grew further apart. They were getting old, and soon retired.

The years passed, and Ryan passed away from natural causes. It was Alex’s turn to comfort Michelle. He told her that she would see him again, just like he would see Mari again.

A month after that, Alex passed away too, and Michelle was devastated. Her love and her best friend, both gone, so quickly. Her children were the ones to help her through it this time.

Alex had left everything he had to Michelle’s family. A week after he died, she went to his house to collect some things. She looked through his photos and realized that there were no photos of his family, just hers. He was an only child, and so were both of his parents.

She realized that he was lonely, and she should have spent more time with him. She went into his bedroom and sat on his bed. She noticed a small box on his side table.

She picked it up and opened it. Inside was the large glass marble she had given him, many years before on her special day. She smiled at the memories.

She picked it up and looked closer, and noticed that something was inscribed onto the glass.

Michelle, I love you. Don’t ever forget me.

She dropped the marble and it shattered, laying on the floor in a thousand pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, comments would be appreciated. If you have any questions, just comment or PM me. I hope you liked the story!