Status: Complete: Might plan a re-write in the future.

The Sharpest Lives

Lisa's POV

“You and I are running away,” Frank said.

I turned and looked at him. He was serious. There was also a pleading look in his eyes.

“What?”

“No one else is here. Get your stuff together. I’ll explain later.”

I hesitantly got my stuff together and met him outside my door. We headed down and outside.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Far away from here. I can’t take it anymore. I’m not forcing you to do anything, or hurting you. I just can’t.”

The sincerity in his voice made me forget for those few minutes that he was a demon that I had been trained to kill. Without thinking, I grabbed his hand. He looked at me in chock, but I smiled. Within hours, we came to another town, and stopped in an alley.

“Stay here. I’m gonna find food for us,” Frank said.

I stayed low, watching Frank disappear down the street. I took this time to think about what I was doing.

“I could just run away,” I said to myself.

I spent about an hour arguing with myself. There was every reason in the world to just get up and run back in the direction I came from. Every reason, except for one. That reason just turned the corner too.

“Hungry?” Frank asked, holding a bag out to me. “Sorry if it’s not to your liking.”

I took the bag and looked inside. A hot dog and fries.

“What about you?” I asked, seeing he had nothing other than his backpack.

“You forget. I feed on blood. I’m fine.”

I ate what he brought me, and we went on our way again. Day was starting to break, and I wondered.

“Well, they should know now, huh?” Frank asked.

“Probably. Are you gonna be okay in the sun?” I asked.

“You’ve seen me in the sun. I’ll be fine. It barely does anything, unless there’s prolonged exposure.”

“Oh…So, why did you leave your friends for me?”

He sighed. “I couldn’t stand seeing you unhappy like that. Lisa, I really like you, and I want you to be happy. I mean, it sounds cliché but it’s the truth.

I stopped and he turned to face me.

“Would you want us to be together?” I asked.

I could tell he knew what I was getting at.

“But, we can’t be together unl-”

“Unless I change too, right?” I cut him off.

He hung his head, and nodded slowly. I let out a sigh. I wanted to be with him too, but it would go against everything I’ve lived for.

“I will stay by you no matter what though. I want to be with you, but I don’t want you to go against your morals.”

I smiled at him and we continued walking. I got to thinking again.

“Are we gonna keep walking? What about at night?” I asked.

“Don’t worry. I have it all planned out.”

I nodded. We walked on in silence. I had noticed a select few people giving us glares. I had a theory about it, but I kept my mouth shut for now. I thought about it as we were eating lunch.

“They’re vamps,” Frank said.

“Huh?”

“You were wondering about the glaring people? They’re vampires.”

My theory was correct. It showed me that they knew we weren’t supposed to be seen with each other.

“They won’t do anything, will they?” I asked.

“No. Although, they might tell their masters, but we’ll be long gone.”

I was a bit wary being with him. I was a slayer. I was supposed to kill him. I was trained to kill him. I suddenly remembered the words spoken to me by Max the first night I trained with him.

‘Never falter. Never hesitate. Never be afraid to kill. They can seem innocent, but that can change in a split second.’

“I’ll be right back,” I said, getting up and going to the bathroom.