Status: Complete: Might plan a re-write in the future.

The Sharpest Lives

Gerard's POV

I walked into the office, seeing Frank kneeled down holding her. She was limp, and neither of them were moving. I walked around, saw blood, then the two holes in her neck. I felt an immediate pang of guilt.

“Happy?” Frank said.

“Mmm. We’re going back to the house.”

He picked up Lisa and carried her out. I followed and soon we were on our way back to the house. It felt odd being back. It as silent. Frank went upstairs with Lisa. I went to my room, seeing Steph sound asleep in my bed. I tried not to disturb her as I laid down. She sighed and rolled over.

“Where were you?” she asked sleepily.

“I had people to find.”

“Who?”

“You know who. They’re here, but we’re gonna let them be for a day or so.”

“Did he-”

“Yes, he changed her. Or so far he did. We’ll see when she wakes up.”

“Ok.”

“We’ll talk more in the morning. Get some sleep.”

She leaned into me, curling up next to me. I couldn’t sleep though. Too much on my mind. I was starting to think I did the wrong thing.

I had only managed to sleep for three hours. It was about 8 when I was up. The third floor was silent. On the second floor, I heard some talking. I slowly walked down the hall, stopping when I heard what room the voices were coming from. I stood at the doorway. Lisa stared out the window, her shoulder shaking. Frank had his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder gently.

“But you’ll get used to it,” he said.

She mumbled a reply, but I couldn’t hear. Frank then looked at me. He aid nothing and turned back to Lisa. She sniffled and took a breath. I knew now that she was crying. Something about it made me feel guilty. The fact that I was so cold about this. I walked away and went downstairs to the kitchen. I tried to make coffee, but somehow failed, not adding enough water.

“Ugh, I’m such a fucking jerk,” I said to myself, dumping the thick black coffee down the drain.

“Guilty?” someone asked behind me.

I turned. “Hey Mikey,” I paused, then nodded. “A little.”

“As your brother, I feel for you, but I gotta take their sides. You were so cold about this, and now you forced Frank to change her. Look at her now, she’s highly upset.”

I nodded, knowing he was right. I didn’t take the time to see how she felt. Even if she was out to kill us. ‘She was out to kill us, so why should I be guilty? Well I am. I decided to go talk to her.

“I’m gonna see if I can talk to her,” I said.

“Good luck.”

I nodded and went back upstairs. Once again I stopped outside the door. Frank sat on the bed against the wall with Lisa’s head resting on his lap. I thought about just leaving them alone. Frank looked up at me as I was about to turn away. A quick stone glance from him quickly turned soft.

“I wanted to talk to her,” I said.

She looked at me quickly then looked at frank. He nodded and she sat up. Frank walked past me.

“Don’t be a jerk. She’s really upset,” he whispered.

I nodded and he walked away. She still faced the wall, hugging her knees. I sat on the edge of the bed. Awkward silence. I didn’t know how to start.

“Listen I-I’m sorry,” I said. “I’m sorry for what I put you through. I was dumb. I was power hungry. I thought the plan would work how I said.”

“Then why didn’t you just let me go?”

“I realized too late. I’m not going to be a jerk anymore. I’m not gonna force you to cooperate with us. I will hope you will though, and we can put this all behind us.”

She turned and looked at me. I just couldn’t read her expression though.

“Do you forgive me?” I asked.