Status: Complete: Might plan a re-write in the future.

The Sharpest Lives

Lisa's POV

I woke up with tear-stained cheeks. I sniffled and wiped my eyes. I headed out and found Sheri watching TV. Rocco sat next to her.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hey. Go shopping?” I sat next to Rocco.

“Yeah. Thanks again.”

“It’s ok.”

“You look like you’ve been crying.”

“Bad dream.”

“Oh.”

“You could’ve woken me. I’ll be up all night now with nothing to do.” I laughed, trying to forget the dream. “So, if you don’t mind my asking, how long have you lived like you did?”

“About three years. Amazing how I managed to avoid vampires for so long.”

“You can stay with me as long as you want. Maybe I can talk to Linda about getting you a good job.”

“I wouldn’t be a good slayer.”

“There’s office work too. Taking body locations. Calling exterminators. Recording data. There’s a lot more to it than hunting. It pays really well.”

“You don’t have to go through all that trouble. I’ll find a job somewhere.”

“There’s a diner that needs help. It’s only overnight though. You can feed us,
and the manager’s cool.”

“I did have a good job as a cook, until they changed managers, and he drove me to walk out one day. I’ll go there tomorrow.”

“Well, I’m hungry again. Dinner?”

“Sure.”

I got dressed and we went out for dinner. We talked some more and shared life stories, some funny, others not. When she want to the bathroom, I was watching one of the TV’s above the bar. Then I saw him again. The tattooed, fallen haired guy. He seemed to be flirting with me with his eyes. I gave him a quick smile and looked away. He was gone the next time I looked back.

“People can be so rude,” Sheri said.

“Huh?”

“Some guy ran into me and kept going. I mean he ran right into me.”

“It happens. I learn to ignore it. Or, if I see them again, I trip them.” I laughed.

We talked some more then headed home.