‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 15

Image

When I arrived at the bar, I was introduced to one of Kris' friends. He ran me through everything I needed to know. It was pretty simple. Take over for someone if they weren't there, handle any problems there might be, or work in the office. I preferred to waitress. Some of the guys might be creeps, but you made amazing tips. That was the only upside to a 'classier bar'. They just said that so they would get the people with bigger wallets to come in.

As Lendon and I were talking, I noticed that he kept looking at my shaking hands. "I'm anemic, and sometimes they get like this if my iron level is too low or something." I explained.

He smiled softly. "I thought you were just nervous. Kris didn't mention anything, but does it interfere with work at all? If so, it's alright. Just let me know what you need."

"It never has, so I don't see why it should now. They should be fine by tomorrow night."

"Alright. Well, everything seems fine tonight. You can start tomorrow if you'd like."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I heard you just got in today. Go and rest, and we'll see you at six tomorrow."

"Ok, thank you so much, Lendon."

"It's my pleasure. We've heard only good things about you."

When I got back to Papa's, I noticed that everyone was still there. "Zack, she has her carrier to sleep in until I can get another crib for her." I said, as I saw him holding Lily.

"My niece is not going to sleep in her carrier. We can take turns holding her tonight." Jimmy said.

"I don't want her to sleep in it either, but I also don't want you guys holding her all night." I sat next to Matt and lay my head on his shoulder.

"You could always lat her in the bed with you like we did with McKenna when she wouldn't sleep." Papa said.

"That's true. I just don't want her to roll off or me to roll on her."

"Are you still a crazy sleeper?" Zack asked, smirking.

I looked at the floor. "Shut up." I mumbled.

Johnny started laughing. "I remember that one night I went to check on you and found Jimmy was sleeping with you. Oh man, poor Jimmy."

"I remember that! Damn, Girl. Even after having knee surgery, you can still give me bruises in your sleep."

"She can sleep with us tonight. You look like you need a good night's sleep any way." Suzy said.

Lily made a noise from Zack's arms and we laughed. I think little on agrees." He said, smiling down at her.

"Why don't you go to bed, Kels. We've got everything taken care of." Dad said, stroking my hair.

"But it's barely ten!"

"And you're falling asleep on Matt. Go to bed, woman!" Jimmy said.

"Up you go." Matt laughed, picking me up into his arms.

"You suck." I mumbled as he carried me up stairs.

"No, I care about you."

"Same difference." His chest rumbled as he laughed.

I had to say, I slept soundly that whole night.

*******

"Say Mommy... Mommy... Mommy, wake up."

"Right, Johnny. Because a seven month old baby is going to talk." I heard Matt say.

"You never know. They start babbling around this time. Which, she already has."

I slowly opened my eyes and saw Lily sitting on my stomach while Johnny held her up, and Matt next to him. "What're you doing?" I asked, amused.

"Look! Mommy's awake!" Johnny said, wiggling her slightly. She laughed and gurgled.

"You are having way too much fun, Mr. Christ." I laughed, carefully sitting up.

"What? I love this little girl. She entertains me."

"Ok then..." I went to pick her up, but Johnny beat me to it.

"Nope. You are off Mom Duty today. You are going to do nothing but relax."

"I can't even hold my own child?!" I asked, saddened by this.

"I didn't say that! Now, promise to relax, and you can have her."

"Christ, give me my child."

"Dude, don't mess with Momma Bear." Matt said, chuckling. Johnny carefully passed Lily to me, before hiding behind Matt.

"That's right. Hide." I said, glaring at him.

"I told you not to mess with Momma Bear." Matt laughed.

"Ok, I'm asking nicely. May I please have the baby? Papa and Suzy offered to take her out for the day." He said, still hiding behind Matt.

"What is it with people wanting to steal my daughter?" I asked, getting up and heading down stairs. I walked to the kitchen, where I heard voices.

"Woman! Put some clothes on!" Johnny said, following me.

"Oh, please. We've all seen it before." Leana said, rolling her eyes.

I just growled at Johnny. "You're on my hit list for now. Watch it." I said warningly.

"He messed with her, didn't he?" Zack asked, laughing.

"Oh yeah." Matt said, laughing and shaking his head.

"Dude, just wait 'till you piss Val off." Johnny said, glaring at him.

"I won't. I know how to keep her happy." He smiled.

"Ending this conversation." I said, shaking my head. "So, why do you want to take my daughter away from me today?" I asked Papa.

"I'm not taking her away from you. Just giving you a day to yourself." He smiled, hiding behind his coffee cup.

"Well, what if I don't want a day to myself?" I asked stubbornly.

"You don't have a choice. We're taking you out for the day. You need to relax." Leana said.

"But I have to be at work by six."

"And it's barely nine. We have plenty of time." Val said.

"Val! You're supposed to be on my side! Us Mom's have to stick together."

"Sorry, Hun. I have to agree with them on this one."

"You just wait. When you start to get weird cravings and all that good stuff, I won't help." I said, turning and heading back up stairs.

"Aw, Kels! Come back! It's not that bad. Just a few hours! You know Papa will take care of her!"

"I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about you girls taking me shopping." I went back to my room and lay on the bed with Lily. I stroked her hair as she looked at everything around her.

"Kels." Zacky called, knocking on the door.

"It's open." He walked in and sat next to me on the bed.

"What's on your mind?"

"What do you mean?"

"Kels, you can't just randomly show back up here, and try to act like everything's ok. What made you leave Bam's? ... Or should I ask who?"

"It doesn't matter. Can you watch Lily while I take a shower?"

"Kels-"

"Thanks." I got up and went straight to the bathroom.

As I was taking a shower I thought about a few things. Why had Bam let Missy take control of him like that? What made him pick a bitchy girlfriend over one of his close friends (or so I thought). Questions like these kept running through my mind. Then one last one. What hasn't Alex called to check up on Lily lately?

"Son of a bitch!"
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys! sorry for the wait. I've been gone since Thursday and just got home last night. I hope this makes up for that. Also, I kinda feel like I'm losing you guys a bit in interest. Tell me if I am and what I can do to fix that!
I'll have another up soon. :)