‹ Prequel: Temporary Home
Status: Finished!

Temporary Life

Chapter 25

Image

"Brian, we need to talk." Zack said after Jimmy took Kels up to sleep.

"Can't it wait 'till tomorrow?" I asked, just wanting to go back to sleep. It had been such a long day.

"No, it can't. Brian, something's going on in Kelsi's head right now that's making her think she needs to pull away from everyone."

"Something had to of set that off. She was just fine yesterday."

"She was fine, but not her old self. She's still struggling with everyday life because she's exhausted. But she won't listen to any of us when we tell her to relax."

"And what am I supposed to do about that?"

"Talk to her, Brian! Your her father! You could do something, I don't know! Just be there for her right now."

"I have to take care of Michelle too, Zack."

"She's pregnant and has morning sickness. That's normal. She'll get over it in time." He was right. This was our first child together, though... We both were unprepared for it. I suddenly felt bad for neglecting Kels. "But your daughter is on the verge of losing it because Alex just threw at her today that he wants custody of Lily." My eyes widened in shock.

"He wouldn't dare." I hissed lowly.

"I don't know, Bri. I think someone's got him by the balls or something."

"Jessica." We said at the same time. "That fucking bitch. If they think that we're just going to sit back and watch this... God, I knew something like this was going to happen." I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"That's not all... When her and Alex were fighting, she passed out."

"So just right now wasn't the first time?"

He shook his head. "And I don't think earlier was the first time either. She's trying to help everyone esle but herself."

"I'll talk to her in the morning." I sighed. "I'm gonna go check on her."

We walked up to the guest room. Beth had changed her into something to sleep in and was now under the covers. Jimmy kept staring down at her from the end of the bed, so many emotions swimming through his eyes. The strongest was hurt. "It's ok, Jim." I said softly, putting my hand on his back.

"I'm not trying to hurt her, Bri. I'm just trying to help." He whispered.

"I know, she'll see that soon."

"I feel like she hates me now."

"She doesn't hate you. She would never be able to. What makes you think that?" I asked confused. Her and Jimmy had always had the perfect relationship. I wouldn't lie, I had been a little jealous at first. But then I knew that she needed him as well.

"She thinks I took Alex's side over hers. I'm just trying to make things easier on her and Lil. I'm not turning my back on her. I would never take that fuckers side over hers."

"She was just upset, Jim. Things run through your mind that mess with you when you're upset. She'll come around. Just let her calm down."

"I just want my little Kels that we found when she was seventeen... I want her to need me again." He said, shaking his head, before walking out.

I walked over to her side and looked down at her. She looked at peace when she was asleep. I smiled, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. You don't notice how much you miss your kid, until they've left you.

I climbed into the bed with her, pulled her into my arms and laying her head on my chest. She was in a deep sleep, so she wouldn't feel the movement. "I love you, Baby." I whispered, kissing the top of her head. I wanted to figure out what was going on in her mind so I could help her. Whoever could unlock the secrets to how her mind works would be a genius. I'd been trying and could never figure it out.

*Kelsi's P.O.V.*

I woke up in the morning with a killer head ache. I froze when I felt someone's arms around me. I looked up slowly and saw... Dad? That was a surprise. I slowly moved out of his arms, making sure not to wake him.

After taking a quick shower and throwing on a pair of jeans and sweatshirt, I went down stairs. Papa was the only one there. "Morning." He said softly.

"Morning." The house was too silent and still. "Where's Lily?" I asked.

"With the girls. They looked after her last night." He said, giving me a
disappointed look. I averted my eyes to the ground, feeling ashamed. I knew I had gotten hammered, but I couldn't remember anything past the bar. My stomach clenched.

"I didn't do anything to..." I couldn't even finish my sentence as my voice gave out. I couldn't even possibly think about that.

"No, Sweetheart. Do you really think you'd let yourself do that?" He asked softly, walking over to me and pulling me into his arms. I stayed silent, and I knew he read my thoughts. "Kels, you are nothing like her. Don't even compare yourself to her. You're a great mother."

"If I was such a great mother I wouldn't have done that last night... I did exactly what she did. I got drunk off my ass and I can't remember anything."

"Exactly, you can't remember anything. So, that means you weren't out to purposely hurt her, or any one else for that matter."

"But I still did it when I had responsibilities." I said, pulling away from his arms. "I'm going out for a few hours. There's something I need to take care of." I said, walking away.

As I pulled up to the house, I shut the car off and just sat there. Was I really going to do this? Did I have enough courage to do it? Lord please give me strength...

*Brian's P.O.V.*

When I woke up, I noticed Kelsi wasn't there. I got up and went down stairs to look for her. Dad was sitting in the kitchen, staring off into space.

"Hey, Dad. Have you seen Kels?"

He snapped out of his trance and looked at me. "Sorry, Son. What was that?"

"Are you ok?" He asked concerned.

"Yeah, just thinking. What'd you need?"

"Have you seen Kels? I just woke up and she wasn't there." His gaze went down to the counter top. "Dad... Where did she go?" I asked slowly.

"I don't know, Brian. I just know she's very upset with herself about last night right now. She doesn't remember much... But she really thought that she might have hurt Lily... How could she even think that?! She was starting to compare herself with her mother!"

I flinched at the mention of her. How could Kels even think like that? She's not even anywhere close to being like that. "Did she say anything before she left?" I asked.

"All she said was that she had to take care of something."

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
wonder what she has to take care of... Any ideas? tell me in a comment!