College Life Part 1: Freshman Flunder

New Girl

"La La La! It goes around the world. La La La", I sang to the radio. I was so happy. I will be moving into DartSun University today. I just want to scream. it is unbelivable. And to make life even better my best friend got accepted too. I always wanted to come here and live the perfect life and it's a reality.

Derrick changed the station. My singing was probably annoying him. I looked behind us to see if the U-Haul trucks were still near. They were so close. Everything was so real. "AAAAH!! COLLEGE HERE I COME!!!", I screamed.

"What the hell is wrong with you, woman?!?!", Derrick yelled while swerving the car prevent an accident. I smiled at him and changed the station.

When we got to the university, we had to take pictures and fill out an application for our campus I.D.'s. Thank god I perfected my hair and started all my proper grooming and fixings months ahead. I was going to be a new person. I was going to start over.

As we were trying to find our way to our new dorms, a really cute guy walked past. He was pale, but not too pale. Tall, but not too tall. Cute, way too cute. The wind blew his dark brown hair from left to right over and over. His voice was so calm and relaxing as he talked on the phone. I couldn't help but to smile. He smiled back. My hear was a little dolphin dancing for a big crowd. I had to see him again.

I moved my furniture into my room. The room was medium sizes. Not too big, but I was not screaming for space either. Probably it was because I loved being at college so much I did not really care about the size as yet. My roommate walked in. She was my height, a bit thinner, Her hair was utterly amazing. It was by her waist, brown with blonde highlights. She walked in with a smile on her face. Her teeth white as light. Her attire was California meets Miami. A jean mini skirt and a black halter top that showed her every curve and sandals that tired at the ankle. My simple light blue jean Bermuda shorts, light carnation pink and white striped baby doll blouse and pink and blue checkered slip-on shoes was nothing compared to her outfit. But I will try to stay confident.

"Hi! My name is Carmen. You must be..Mel Rose, right?", she greeted politely with one hand twirling her hair and the other hand keeping her purse on her shoulder and pushing out toward me for a handshake. I shook her perfectly polished hand and nodded. Inside of me cringed. I hate nail polish. I hate girly girls. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. But this is college. I will be too busy checking out hot men to bother with her.

She sat and smiled to herself as she packed her things. She was like a mini, slutty Snow White. Oh lord. This is horrible. I continued to spread my bed. My cell phone rang. I looked at the screen. It was Derrick.

"Hello!", my voice echoed through the phone. I hear Derrick by my door. I ran to the door. He hung up the phone and his eyebrows arched.

"Guess who lives upstairs?", his voice so happy and warm. My eyes shot open.

"Nuh huh!".

"Uh huh".

"I said nuh huh".

"And I said uh huh". I hugged him really tight. My best friend lives above me in an Ivy League university dormitory. The mood instantly. changed as i felt Carmen creeping up behind me like a wild animal sneaking up on its prey. I turned around. She was glaring directly at Derrick. She pushed her way in front of him. She swung her hips and pouted her lips.

"Are you Melissa's boyfriend?", she asked seduceing all that walks.

"It's Mel R-", I was cut off by Derrick and his flirtatious self.

"No she's my best friend. You must be her roommate. I'm Derrick".

"Ooh. I am Carmen."

At first, I was furious at her and him for flirting, but then I was extremely ecstatic. I know how Derrick is. He will see a girl that's attractive enough to him and flirt with her as much as needed. Then he'll have his way with her and forget she exists. Probably I just hate her because she looks so perfectly figured and made, but she gives off a bad energy to me.

"Wait, I'll get my stuff and we could go look around some more". I turned around to get my cell phone and a digital camera out of my electronic collection leaving them to talk. I turned back around seeing them half out of the door. I rolled my eyes and walked out too.

"Hey! I'm Susanne. Hiiiiii! Who are you?", a hyper girl shorter than me screamed.

"Hi, I'm Mel Rose." I said with my eye still on Derrick and Carmen who are now walking with arms hooked.

"Oh okay. I'll see you later then. Byeeeee!". I smiled and walked off.

Outside Derrick and Carmen were still talking while I was in a daze. Suddenly, I felt an around around my waist. I looked beside me and there he was. The same guy with the hair, the looks, the phone. Right beside me. "Hi, I'm Wilson. What's your name?", he enquired. I tried to answer. I really did, but he was just too fast for me. "I'll see you later. Meet me by the statue of the Dartsun around..6 o'clock okay?", he kissed my cheek and left me breathless craving more. It was only 2:00 p.m. I would have to wait for four more hours. Anxiety has shown it's ugly head.

I was too busy waiting for the clock to move to notice when Carmen left or when this new girl came. I gradually got use to Derrick tallking to or being with a thousand girls at a time. He was very attractive. Light brown hair. Gray eyes. A perfect five feet and eleven inches. Flat stomach. Deceiving smile. The voice of a hotline operator. Nose straight as an arrow. Lips frosty pink and kissbale soft. It's a wonder why I'm not completely in awe over him like every other girl is. By his ways, I've learned how to keep my heart from being damaged and broken. He would see a girl and smile with her. Tell her what she wanted to hear. Get what he wants and leave. He does it all the time. And he never really cares. But he always cares when it comes to dealing with me for some reason. If I were to talk to a guy, he would make sure to watch me and the guy. It was unfair.

I left my dorm room at six. I did not want to get there too early too seem like I was desperate and I did not want to arrive too late to seem like I'm too busy or even worse to make him leave. When I got outside, I regretted coming out so late. I did not know my way quite yet, but there was tons of people outside who could show me. The statue was right by the entrance so I just need to follow the main road.

When I got there, he was leaning on the base of the statue turned my direction. My scent must have alerted him that I was near. I sprayed on two extra layers of my sweetest perfume. One regular layer to smell good. Another layer to prevent odor from sweating (it is August after all). Another layer just because I'm meeting a very handsome guy. Some of it may have blew off in the wind..hopefully.

A smile flew on his face as I neared him.

"Hey. My name is Mel Rose", I put on my most appealing voice and appreciated smile.

"Beautiful name to match a beautiful face", he complimented me. I blushed. I felt like such a dork for blushing. I bet Carmen doesn't blush.

"Thank you".

"Don't thank me for telling you the truth. Want to get off campus for a while?". I didn't want to go. I just got here today. Why couldn't he just teach me how to get around campus without getting lost. Or help me pack out my clothes I haven't even looked at yet. But I nodded. He wrapped his arm around my waist engulfing me in his sweet aroma. Suddenly, I forgot the disappointment of him not helping the new girl.

He lead me into the college parking lot. I felt like I was being abducted. I even wondered if I should've called Derrick, but strangely a part of me trusted him enough to be whisked away in a new college. New state. With a new person.

He drove into a Boston Market parking lot. He opened my door and held my hand as he walked into the restaurant. We placed our orders and sat to eat.

"So, where you from?", he said in between big bites of macaroni and cheese.

"Brooklyn, New York. Where are you from?".

"Oregon. How does it feel to be in such a rural state?".

I glanced at the glass windows. "It feels irregular. I only see sights like these on television and in New Jersey. It will take a while to get used to. Have you ever been to Brooklyn?", I blinked and noticed him staring directly at me. I stopped chewing and looked down at my pants. I felt his hand pull up my face. I saw his eyes stare into mine. I heard his steady breathing.

"Yes I have. It's really diverse".

We stayed quiet and he drove me back to campus.

"I can walk you back if you want", he offered. It was a like a soap opera just looking at him. College was probably the best choice ever.

"Thanks. I live in Mazer dorm".

"Oh. That's not too far from me. I live Wapoon".

He gave me a kiss on my cheek goodbye and watched me walk in.

The next morning morning I woke up with movement everywhere. I opened my eyes to discover a green masked lady running around the room.

"What's going on in here?", I asked with sarcasm in my tone. She looked at me with devilish eyes. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to follow my proper hygiene routine.

"Do you have a flat iron on you?", she asked desperately. I went into my bag and passed it to her. She smiled and plugged it in. I waited for her to finish and put it back in my bag. We walked out of the room together like we've been friends forever.

"Hi! Mellee, come here", a girl called. I walked over with Carmen close behind me. "Hey! I'm Susanne's roommate, Rebecca. She was talking about you yesterday", she told me excitedly. They seemed more like twins than roommates. She was hyper just like Susanne. I wish I was similar to my roommate in at least one way or the other.

She led me into a messy room with the same structure as mine. I saw Susanne jumping on a naked mattress. She stopped and hopped off. The objects on the dresser rattled.

"Hey Mellee!!", she ran and hugged me. I squirmed under her tight grip.

"Hi Susanne. Hi Rebecca. This is my roommate, Carmen." I felt the need to introduce the strange female by their door.

"Hi! You already know our names. Crap. Now I have nothing left to say", Susanne and Rebecca giggled at the comment. "Where ya'll heading?". I didn't realize, until then, that Rebecca has a southern accent.

"I'm gonna go check out the library. I have no clue where it is though so I need to roam for a few", speaking for myself. I turned to Carmen. She positioned her body towards me also.

"I'm going to tour the campus so I can get familiar with it before classes start. I don't want to be late for my first day". Why didn't I think of that? Even though classes started in mid September and it was the beginning of August, it was still a brilliant idea. Beautiful and intelligent. That should be impossible. There has to be something wrong with her. This is unfair. I nodded.

We all headed out, silently admiring the halls.

Outside was crawling with students and covered with greenery in the 12 noon sunlight. I slipped through a crowd of girls talking to each about their summer. I dodged a football heading to my head thrown by a buff but gentle looking male.

"Sorry!", he yelled. A smile drawn wide across his face. I nodded shyly and hurried to the actual concrete sidewalk.

When I reached the front of the library, it was like half an hour after I had left my dorm. As soon as I entered, I saw a line of about 20 young adults. Eyes drowning of boredom. At the end of the line there was a poorly drawn sign exclaiming "FRESHMANS HERE". I walked to the end of the line wondering what it was for anyway. I finally reached the front. I approached the corpse looking librarian with caution fearing she'll break if too much air blew on her. She slid me a sheet of paper with words, blanks, and lines. Quickly, I filled out the questions and slid her the paper back. She took a long gaze over her cat eyeglasses from the 1950s at the paper. Finally, she pulled she reached over and passed me a card labelled "DartSun Student Library Card" with the DartSun logo. I flashed a quick smile and almost ran to a rack of books. After looking at and through books, I walked out unenthusiastically. Stepping outside I realized, my dorm was not too far away from the library after all.