Look At What I Deal With

Twenty Laps

After lunch I went to my next classes and then it was off to gym. The school had informed Kate I was going to have swimming so Kate bought me a simple black one piece bathing suit. I was OK with the whole swimming thing because I was outstanding in it but Leon was there. I don't really know why I'm nervous at the fact that he is there but I am for some reason. When I first got there the guys were already in the pool doing laps and some girls were sitting on the edge of with their legs in the water. They all wore a one piece bathing suit so I grew a little calm. I went to the girls locker room and quickly changed putting my hair in a pony tail. the guys turned to look at me, I could imagine what they were already thinking. I walked up to the teacher named Mr. Saggio.

"You must be Emily?"

"Yeah."

"Well start doing your laps. You have to do twenty before class is done."

Twenty are you serious. It is was going to be a piece of pie. I looked over to the girls and saw them just jumping into the pool instead of using the pool platforms. I stood on one and stretch my back and arms before getting ready to dive in the pool. The girls and guys stopped to watch me. Dam it! What they never saw someone get ready to dive? Shit! I cracked my neck and got ready pointing my hands to my toes looking straight at the lane in front of me. On the count of three. One. Two. Three. I dove into the water slicing straight threw it like a knife would through better. The cool water was relaxing. I surfaced to the top and began to swim my laps. I kept count in my head and before I knew it I was done.

When I stopped swimming I held onto the edge of the pool. Mr. Saggio came over to me and crouched down beside me. I wasn't breathing heavy at all since I was use to more laps than this.

"Your the first girl to actually complete twenty laps in this class." He smiled. "It seemed easy for you so you have had experience at swimming. You just earned the ability to swim with the boys. They swim forty laps."

"Sounds good."

"Hey guys!" Mr. Saggio hollered at the guys to come over. "Emily is going to swim with you now. Emily do your next twenty laps."

The guys smiled at me as though I was going to be their little toy for now on in swimming. Leon came next to me and patted me on the shoulder. The girls started at me with looks that can stab someone. They didn't like the fact that I was able to be on the guys team on the first shot.

"Hey Emily lets race." I looked up to see a guy with brown curly hair and gray eyes.

"Sure."

We got ready on the platforms while Leon started the race on three.

"One! Two! Three!"

I took off. When I surfaced I looked at my side and didn't see the curly haired guy. I looked back and he was behind me. I kept on doing my laps not caring if he was behind or not. I kept track of my laps and finished. I was gasping for air now.

"You beat Freddy!"

Leon hugged me. Um OK. It wasn't a big deal.

"He is on the swim team you know."

"OK."

The bell rang and I went straight to the locker room and changed back into my clothes. When I came out of the stall the girls were lined in front of my stall.

"May I help you with something?"

"Yeah you could." A girl with red hair stepped in front of me. "Just because you are with the guys now doesn't mean you get to be all cocky about it."

"Don't be mad at the fact that I actually swam twenty laps. Last time I checked I never said anything about me being the best so correct yourself why don't you. Just because you are familiar with the entire school and I'm new doesn't mean you can tell me what to do or hold me from bashing your face in this wall."

I walked out of the locker room and stormed out of the gym and into the parking lot to see mobs of people talking and leaving. It was time to return to hell.

Each of us bears his own hell.
Virgil (70-19 BC)
Aeneid, Book 6, line 743

My apparently is the place I now call home.