Look At What I Deal With

Rose Thorns

When I got home the front door was ajar and I heard Tim's voice coming from upstairs. He was yelling at Kate. I walked in dropping my book bag at the door and my keys on the table. I sprinted up the stairs with out making noise. I made my way down to Kate and Tim's room. The door wasn't open so I couldn't see what he was doing.

"What the hell did I tell you! I expect you to be in the kitchen when I get home!"

"I'm sorry. I was tired so I laid down to take a nap."

Kate's voice was shaking in fear. I pressed my ear to the door.

"Don't!"

Kate yelled and I heard the slap coming in contact with her face. It was clear as thunder in a storm. I flung the door open to see Kate on the floor holding her cheek.

"Who the fuck do you think you are!"

I went to Tim. The stench of liquor lingered on him. His tie was lose and his hair was messy. He rose his hand to me getting ready to slap me.

"I fucking dare you! We will see who loses."

His hand made it a inch to my face until I punched him dead in the face. It wasn't hard at all and it wasn't going to bruise up. He stumbled backwards before he crashed into his nightstand making the glass lamp break. I went over to Kate who was crying. The imprint of Tim's large hand was noticeable on her pale face. She hugged me tightly and I helped her help.

"Go put ice on it."

I knew she didn't want me to stay up here with Tim but she just nodded and disappeared behind the door.

"Look here you dam asshole! The next time you dare lay a finger on Kate it will be the last thing you ever touch with that hand! You hear me! She isn't your fucking slave that you can abuse whenever you feel like it. You probably got away with it but now that I'm here you best of believe I won't fucking hurt you!"

My voice carried through out the entire house. Tim got up slowly tipping a little as he walked towards me.

"You don't talk to me like that little girl."

"Does it look like I care? "

"I'm going to call the police on you."

"Go head. Just know that you must get to the phone first in order to call 911. I could kill you before you even got a foot close to the phone."

"You will go to jail for murder."

He was trying to scare me. To freak me out so I could give into it.

"You know you can't be guilty for murder if it was self-defense right?"

Tim stared at me with rage. He was starting to realize what ever he did to me he would pay for it. I was the one with the upper hand. Guys like him like to feel in control and when someone else takes it from them they get outraged. His nostrils were flaring at he took deep breaths. His face got red and his eyes were bulging out like a fishes. He formed his hands into a fist. He was two feet away from me.

"This is my house and what I say goes."

"And this is America."

I won this battle. He had nothing else to say because he knew I was right. I walked out of the room and slammed the door behind me. Kate was sitting in the kitchen with a bag of ice to her face as she whipped her tears with a tissue. Her face was drench in tears.

"Let me see."

She removed the bag revealing a slash across her face. It was bleeding. Tim smacked her while he wore a ring on his hand. That dam bastard! I ran up the stair and returned with a first aid kit in my hand.

"It's going to hurt. "

I put alcohol on her wound. She winced in agony pulling away.

"Stay still."

She laughed. I cleaned up her wound and bandaged up the wound. I threw out the cotton ball I used and the bloodily napkins I use. Kate clean the table and we sat in silence for a while. Kate stared at the table while she stroked a strand of her hair. I watched her with my hands folded in front of me. The door opened and I knew it was Katherine.

"Mom I'm home!"

"I'm in the kitchen!."

A minute later she entered the kitchen.

"Oh my god mom what happened?"

Kate didn't know what to tell Katherine. Should she tell her the truth that her father smacked her and has been beating her for the past few years or create a lie to cover up her innocent father? I knew Kate didn't want to hurt Katherine so that's why she always made up excuses for Tim and put up with it. Like most women who get abused by their husband they don't usually tell people. They tend to have hope that one day it will all end.

"Umm..."

"It was some flower guy who came to drop off roses. Kate reached over to read the card when one of the thorns slashed her face. Turns out the roses weren't for her but for the people next door."

Kate looked at me and smiled. I gave her another excuse to keep up this lie. I smiled faintly.

"Oh are you OK?"

"Yeah don't worry."

Kate began to cook while I went to my room to do my homework. It was pretty easy and I was done in a matter of one hour. I laid in bed and thought about school. I didn't want to go to school. I had a terrible day. School has just begun and I doubt it is going to get better. When it was seven o'clock Kate called us down to eat. Tim sat at the dinner table with us and he wasn't drunk anymore. His hair was wet and slicked back and he wore his glasses. There was no signs that I punched him. I helped Kate serve since the two royal brats at the table didn't bother. We were having spaghetti and meatballs tonight and it looks amazing. We all sat down to eat. Tim didn't say a word and Katherine just ate her food.

"How was your first day at school?"

Kate turned towards me since she wasn't going to talk to Tim nor Katherine.

"It was OK besides the people..." I paused thinking about Troy's nose. "I broke a guys nose."

"You what?"

Tim put his fork down.

"I. Broke. A. Guys. Nose. He pushed me and I hit him back. "

Tim was furious. I really didn't care what he had to say at all.

"Why in the world would you break his nose? You are going to be in so much trouble."

"No I'm not. It was self-defense. What are you going to do? Punish me? Send me to my room? Ground me for a week or a month?"

Tim stood quiet. We finished eating dinner and I washed the dishes while Kate cleaned the table and broom the floor. After wards I took a shower and went to bed. I laid thinking about what Tim did to Kate and how mad I was at Katherine for not realizing what was going on. Of course she wasn't here most of the time to actually notice what her father was doing to her mother. I drifted off to sleep.

One must always be aware, to notice even though the cost of noticing is to become responsible.
Thylias Moss

God Katherine was irresponsibleā€¦