Look At What I Deal With

Colic

I told Kate I was heading over to Leo's house before leaving. When I walked up to the door I heard Ella screaming at the top of her lungs. I rang the door bell. I waited until the door opened and I saw Leo's mom holding Ella as she jiggled her in her arms. Leo's moms wore a white t-shirt that had stains and I knew it was throw up and her hair was pulled into a ponytail that was messy and tilted to one side. Her black yoga pants were wrinkled and had a fresh knew stain on it. Her eyes were red and puffy like she had been crying for a while.

"Kate told me to bring this over."

She smiled weakly and let me in.The house wasn't better. Bottles were every where as well as toys and baby clothes. Pampers laid on the table but they weren't used. Bids were on the rocking chair where Leo's mom went to go sit down throwing the bids on the floor. I put the bag on the couch and watched as she closed her eyes rocking back and forth in the chair while Ella kicked and screamed. There was a Baby Bjorn travel crib set next to the rocking chair with stuffed animals in it. I walked over to her and she opened her eyes.

"Give me her. Go get some sleep."

At first she hesitated but she handed her over to me. I set down a blanket spreading it out sideways folding down the top corner before laying Ella down on the folded top corner. She cried even louder as she got redder. I pulled the bottom tip of the blanket across her and then tucked the bottom corner over her shoulder. Leo's mom watched me. I folded the last corner across her waste and around her. I pulled it tight and tucked it into one of the fold. That was it she stopped crying.

"How did you do that?"

"Years of practice that's all. In my foster home I dealt with a lot of babies and I learn a few things. I will watch her while you sleep don't worry about it. Babies feel more secure when you swaddle wrap them"

"Leo should be home any minute. I asked him to get some milk so when he comes just give her to him."

I nodded and she headed upstairs. I heard the door shut upstairs and I sat down on the rocking chair. I stared at Ella who stared at me.

"El don't give mommy a hard time."

She smiled and then she slowly began to close her eyes. I rocked her back and forth and she fell asleep. I placed her in the travel crib and she turned over slightly and I thought she was going to cry again but she didn't. I picked up the baby bibs Leo's mom had threw on the floor and folded them setting them down on the couch. I grabbed all the bottles I could find and washed them before putting them in a big pot of water letting it boil. My foster mom did this to get rid of all the bacteria and germs.

I gathered the baby clothes that smelled like throw up and put them into a bin I found near one of the doors that were opened and I saw the washer and dryer there. I put the bids and clothes to wash. I put the soap and detergent that Leo's mom had on a list taped right above the washer that read "How to Wash the Baby Clothes." After putting it to wash I walked out returning to the living room picking up the toys and placing them in a bid that was labeled "ELLA"S TOYS" and the pampers I placed on this bag that was set near the travel crib that had pampers and wipes in there.

I was done wiping down the table that had throw up on it when I heard Ella begin to whimper. I returned to her taking her out and rocking her side to side in my arms as she fell asleep again. I held her in my arms and went back to the kitchen to turn off the stove and started to take out the bottles and tops carefully setting them onto the counter trying not to make noise when I heard the door open.

"Mom."

It was Leo who called out.

"She is sleeping."

Leo came into the kitchen with bags in his hand. He set them down on the kitchen table.

"What are you doing here?"

I continued to take the bottles out as I slowly rocked Ella in my arms.

"Kate told me to drop some things off and Ella was crying so I helped your mom out while she went to bed."

"You didn't have to do this you know."

"Yeah I know. I wanted to."

After taking out all the bottles Leo began to put away what he bought in the fridge. I watched him as I sat on a stool.

"Does Ella cry a lot?"

"When isn't she. My mom could hardly get her to sleep at night. Yeah Ella stops crying when I'm with her sometimes but most of the time she is always crying and sometimes for no reason. When she sleeps she has the hiccups and when I pat her on the back she just starts crying."

"She probably has colic. If you over feed her it could make it worse. For the hiccups just rise her bed a little bit so that way it's almost like she is sitting."

"That explains a lot."

"Trust me I dealt with a lot of babies like this going to different foster homes. But after a while you get use to it although it does take lot of work. "

Leo walked over to me and he took Ella out of my hands. I went back to the stove and took the pot of water and poured the water into the sink before putting it away.

"Thanks for helping out."

"Your welcome. Her clothes are washing along with the bids. The pampers are in the bag near the travel crib. The toys are where they should be and I just finish washing the bottles. There are different things that could help a colicky baby. If you give her Blackthorn it will help her sleep better and calm her down and stop the hiccups. Chamomile will help her sleep and calm her down too. I will write it down for you. If anything just call me."

I wrote down my number and gave it to him.

"It doesn't matter what time I will come."

"Thanks a lot Emily."

"No problem. Oh and Kate got her some stuff. I left it on the couch. I will see you tomorrow."

I smiled and I left.

If you’re too busy to give your neighbor a helping hand, then you’re just too darned busy. Marie T. Freeman