Status: Paused

Regrets & Romance

Chapter Two: New 'Insane'.

I lay awake on the firm white mattress of my small white room. I'm in the psych ward of my community hospital. After I told my psychiatrist that I was a danger to myself, I went home and tried to commit suicide. I shot myself in the temple. How I'm not dead, I have no fucking clue, but somehow, I'm still alive. Still taking up space. It's been almost three years since that day. My hair has almost grown back over the scar on my right and left temples.The bullet went straight through my skull. In one side and out the other. Clean cut hole you could say. The doctors say I wont ever to be able to feel physical pain anymore. Good and bad. Good because if i stab my toe or something, it wont hurt. Bad because if I were to break my arm, I wouldn't be able to tell.

My small white room is just that. Small and white. No color. Just black and white. I like it that way. Colors make me want to just close my eyes. My pale skin is the only thing that you might be able to consider a color. My skin is almost white. Lack of sunshine. My hazel-green eyes shone vibrantly against the white scenery. I also hate the lack of color. I hate the fact that they make all of us wear white. Plain white hospital pajama pants, plain white pajama shirt with a patch that reads 'Staley Springs Hospital'. We also get gray hoodies that have that same logo across the front.

There are white straps hanging down from the left side of my bed, in case one of the 'insane' were to lost it and won't take their shot. When we don't comply, we get strapped down. I've never had to be strapped down. I'm a good 'insane' here. They call us 'insane'. I've heard the nurses and doctors whispering about it. We are the 'insane'. Not the occupants or patients. The 'insane'. Even though I'm a good 'insane', I'm not allowed to go home. I'm still a danger to myself.

I heard the soft clicking of heels echo down the hall. The sound doing a crescendo as it got close to the area of my room. It came to a stop outside of my room. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep as the door opened and a faint line of light went across the floor.

"He'll have to stay in here. He wouldn't be safe with any of the other...occupants." the nurse only said occupants because she has one of us with her. The door creaked open more and there was a shuffling of feet across the white carpet of the room. A bag was set onto the second bed across from mine and then someone joined the bag on the bed.

"Mr. Way, you'll be rooming with Corinne. She's a sweet girl. Only 24 years old. Not much of a talker at all."

A mumble was heard and the nurse left my room and closed the door, her heels once again tapping down the hall. This time, doing a decrescendo.

A drawer of the small black dresser opened and a bag was unzipped. I'm guessing the new 'insane' now rooming with me is putting his underwear and sock in there. That's probably all. They would have taken the rest of his stuff from him. The sheets of his bed were pulled down and the mattress shifted as he laid down. He sighed then everything went quiet again.