Status: Paused

Regrets & Romance

Chapter Five: Changes.

---Corinne's POV---

I decided to take a walk around the courtyard with Gerard. He's been wanting me to walk with him everyday this past week so today, I wanted to humor him and go with him. The nurse put our ID bracelets on, mine to used to be too big so they special made a child one for my petite wrist. She opened the big glass and metal doors and let us outside. I squinted as I stepped into the warm sun light. I put my hand up to cover my eyes. When my eyes adjusted to the drastic change in light, I folded my arms across my chest. Gerard stood to my right, nearest the fence, between the outside world and the yard.

"So Corinne..." Gerard said softy. I look up at him in reply. He's learned that my movements make up for my lack of talking.

"You wanna know why I'm in here?" he asked.

I shrugged, unsure.

"Yes or no?"

"Yes." I said quietly.

"When I was younger I used to be really messed up. My dad and brother Mikey died when I was 15 and my mother went into a depressed state. I followed into that state. My mom eventually accepted it but I never did. Mikey was my best friend. My only friend actually. I couldn't take it. I was very sad for the years following their deaths and I got into drinking and drugs. When I was 20 I almost over dosed on a few drugs. My mom did sort of an intervention thing and got me off the drugs and booze. I was still depressed though, but I didn't have my drugs. Then a new addiction came along. A very cynical addiction. I would slice up my arm with a razor blade, then pour bleach over it."

I cringed.

"Needless to say, it hurt like hell. But it gave me a high. A strange high, but high none the less. One time I was bleaching in my bathroom of my apartment and my mom was over visiting and she walked in and saw me doing it. She freaked out and stopped me. The cuts got infected and my skin is now fucked for life." he rolled up his sleeves, revealing a mass of scared up skin. I looked away.

It sorta looked like my arms.

It reminded me of my pain.

He rolled his sleeves back down.

"Sorry." he said and took a seat under a shady tree in the corner of the yard.

"It's okay Gerard."

He looked at me and smiled.

"What?" I looked at him confused.

"That's the first time you've ever said my name since I've been here."

"I'm warming up to you."

"That's good."

I nodded.

"I drew something for you in arts & crafts a couple days ago." he said and stood back up. He ran over to the nurse and they talked back and forth. She went inside a he turned around and smiled at me. She came back out with a piece of rolled up poster board in her hands, he turned to her and took it from her. She smiled and waved him back to me.

He ran back over and sat on my left. I looked at him at he unrolled the paper.

There was a picture of a girl inside. A girl with hair like him. And hazel-green eyes. There was a beautiful scenery in the background. I was the city light. I was on a hill with my back to the city. The strange thing was, the only color in the picture were my eyes.

He made me look beautiful. I started to cry.

"Don't cry. Why are you crying? Is it the picture? I knew I made it look like crap. Damnit. DAMMIT! I can never do anything right." he rambled on and on.

I looked up at him and shushed him with a finger to his mouth.

"It's very pretty Gee."

I just called him Gee.

Where is this boldness coming from?

"Really?" he asked when I pulled my finger back to me.

"You made me look...beautiful."

He laughed.

"You make yourself look beautiful. I just put it on paper." he smiled at me sweetly.

His smile is contagious.

I smiled. And I blushed.

Gerard makes me do things I haven't done in a while.

It's a nice change.