Status: Paused

Regrets & Romance

Chapter Eight: Butterflies.

"What do you think caused this?"

"I can't explain it; her room mate there told us she kept going on about pinpricks and people staring at her."

The voices were loud in my head. Even though they were just whispers, they caused a pounding headache to form in the sides of my skull. I groaned and slowly opened my eyes.

The light in my white room; blinding me.

The sound from the heart-rate monitor; killing my ears.

The pungent smell from the medicine used to clean and heal cuts; burning my nostrils.

The lingering taste of salty blood; tainting my taste buds.

My arms are at my sides, numb. But I feel the pain at my neck and face burn fiercely as I turn my head to the side. I see Gerard, lying on his bed, face to the wall. I looked to the doorway and saw two nurses standing there, gabbing away. My eyes go to my arms. They are fully bandaged from above the elbows all the way down to the part on my hand where the fingers and palm meet. My hands have been cleaned of the blood and my nails have been cut back, way back, so I can't do any further hurt to myself...or someone that's trying to help me.

To my surprise, I'm not being held down by the leather straps on the bed. I'm free to go about, but not planning to any time soon.

"Corinne, you're awake."

My eyes shot to my left where Gerard was now sitting up on his bed, staring at me intently. I look to the door, the nurses have disappeared.

"I'm glad your...okay." he says, his voice very quiet. I look again to his face. I see deep scratches across his cheek and forehead, his neck has four deep red lines on it, more scratches. No, these are more than scratches. These are gashes.

I can't look anymore, so I turn my head towards the wall. I see little splashes of blood there.

Did I really do that much damage?

I'm so fucked up.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek, causing a stinging sensation where it rolls.

"Corinne, talk to me." I hear that same worry in my voice I heard earlier, is it real? That can't be fake.

"I'm sorry." I can only muster that. My throat is still sore from all the screaming I did.

"For what?"

"For...for what I...I did to your f-face." The sobs where coming, and I don't want to cry.

"Don't worry about it, it'll heal."

I turn my face back towards him. He has a awkward, don't-worry-about-me, smile on his face.

It made the sobs go away.

How can his smile do that?

Why am I getting butterflies?

Why is the pain all gone away?

I mean, I like that the pain is all gone but, I can't understand how he makes it all go away.