Baby Baker

Chapter 15

Image

On Monday Morning, I walked through the front doors of the school, waiting for the worst. And it happened. "Hey, slut." One of Trey's friends sneered at me as I walked by. Sadly, this didn't end with him. Trey had a bunch of little cronies that followed him. They would jump off a bridge if he told them to. "Watch where you're going, whore," someone said, bumping into my shoulder. I just ignored them as I went to my locker.

"Had enough yet?" Trey asked, leaning against the locker next to mine.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said, grabbing my books for my first few classes.

"Hey, bitch." He grabbed my wrist and made me look at him. "You made me look like a fool at the party, so I'm just getting pay back. When you want it to stop, I might still be here, waiting to take you back when you come crawling."

"Well, sorry to disappoint you. But I won't be coming back." His grip on my wrist just tightened. I felt like it was going to snap.

"Sendra!" Val called down the hall. Trey gave me one final look, and let my wrist go, before walking away. "What the hell was that about?" She asked as she reached me.

"Nothing," I said, closing my locker and throwing my bag over my shoulder.

"Look, Sen if he-"

"I'm fine, Val." She noticed the look I was giving her and dropped it.

"Listen, I just want to thank you."

I looked at her confused. "For?"

"For talking to Matt on Friday. I don't know what came over me. I've just been really stressed lately and I took it out on him."

"No problem," I said, starting to walk away.

"Sen, are you mad at me?" She suddenly asked.

"Of course not. I just want to get to first period before I'm late."

She nodded. "I'll walk with you." She was quiet for a minute, before bringing up a topic I didn't feel like talking about. "I know you and Matt kissed." My heart started to pound in anxiety. "It's fine. I'm not mad at either of you. I asked him about it and he said it was just a random moment. I get that." I let out a breath in relief. "Hey." She stopped me and made me face her. "If you need to talk, you know I'm here." I smiled lightly and nodded.

As the day progressed, the snide remarks from Trey's friends didn't get better. But I was determined not to let them get to me.

Too bad, they did get to me. In fifth period, I had my head down on the desk as everyone was coming into the room. I had been pushed into lockers, shoved aside and called names all day. Frankly, I was tired, not to mention, fed up with it!

"Hey, Sendra. Psst." I felt someone poke me in my side. I thought it was another one of Trey's friends, so I ignored it. "Sendra Cathleen Baker." Okay, that definitely was not one of Trey's friends. I looked up and saw Brian. Oh, that was great. Note the sarcasm. "What's wrong?"

"What do you care?"

"Sen, don't start this."

"Don't start what, Brian?"

He was about to say something, but was cut of by Mr. Crens. "Miss Baker, Mr. Haner. How about you two step into the hall to finish your conversation." What? That did not just happen!

"Great! Thank you, Brian. I just got kicked out of a class that I actually like!" I said frustrated, throwing my hands in the air as we walked into the hall.

"Oh, don't make it into such a big deal."

"You know, you're used to this. But I actually want to go to college and make something of myself. So back off." He smirked, starting to walk towards me. I started backing up, until my back was against one of the lockers.

"You know, you try so hard to act like you don't like me... But it's so obvious that you do," he said, placing his hands on either side of the locker behind me.

"Oh, please. Wipe that cocky smirk off your face, before I slap it off."

"You know, I understand why you keep your defenses up so much. What I don't understand, is how you could let them down for Trey, but every time I get close, you take a step back." His face was completely blank now. I was suddenly becoming uncomfortable with this. Not to mention that I hated the fact he brought up my past and Trey all at once.

Before I had time to react, someone was calling our names. "Brian! Sen! What're you guys doing out here?" Matt asked, as him and Jimmy walked up.

"Crens kicked us out," Brian said, shrugging.

"Sen, you ok?" Matt asked, noticing my quietness.

"I'll see you guys later," I mumbled, before pulling my hood up and making my way to the outside doors. I heard them calling my name, but I didn't turn back. I walked all the way home, which took at least an hour. As soon as I got there, I collapsed on my bed and was out like a light.

The next time I woke up, I heard voices down stairs. I looked at the clock and noticed that it was already four. I got up, stretched and walked slowly down the stairs. My legs and feet were sore from making that long walk. They weren't used to that.

"Hey, look who's awake," Jimmy said, seeing me walk in.

"Hey, you ok? Matt said you left early," Zacky said, looking at me concerned.

"I'm fine. I just didn't feel like finishing the day out," I said, walking to the kitchen.

"Sen, can you please tell me what's actually going on?" he asked, crossing his arms and looking at me intently.

"Nothing, Zack. I'm fine. Just tired is all," I said, reaching around for something.

"What the hell happened to your wrist?" I looked down and saw a nice sized bruise.

"It got caught in locker this morning," I lied, pulling my sleeve down more.

He sighed, shaking his head. "When you want to tell me the truth, I'll be in the living room."

I loved my brother, but sometime I just wanted to slap him!

A little bit later, I walked into the living room to ask them what they wanted for dinner, but they were too caught up in their video game. I walked over, and turned the t.v. off. "Hey! Sendra! Come on!" Zack yelled.

"Well maybe I wouldn't have fucking done it if you would've been listening to what I was trying to ask you!" I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"Alright, you wanted my attention that much." He threw his controller down. "You have it now. What?"

I scoffed, shaking my head. "Make your own damn dinner, I'm out." I slipped my shoes on, and headed over to the only place I knew I could find some peace right now.