Baby Baker

Chapter 16

Image

"Hey, Sendra. What's wrong, Sweetheart?" Suzy asked, opening the door.

"I just needed to get out of the house for a while."

"Sure, come on in," she said, stepping over so I could walk in. "We were just getting ready to eat."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"No! You're fine.” I followed her to the kitchen, where Papa and McKenna were already seated at the table. "Look who came to visit."

"Sendra! I feel like I haven't seen you in months. Oh, that's right. Because I haven't!" Papa said, as I sat next to him.

"I know, I'm sorry. I've just been busy with stuff." He saw the look in my eyes and nodded, telling me we would talk later.

*Zack's P.O.V.*

I felt bad about earlier with Sen and I knew I needed to talk to her about it. I thought she had just gone for a walk, but it's been three hours now. I was starting to get worried. "Dude, she probably went to Papa's," Jimmy said as I paced the living room.

"Why don't you call and ask?" Matt suggested. I nodded and grabbed the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Suzy. Is Sen there?"

"Yes, Zack, she's here. Her and Papa went to have a little talk."

"Okay, thanks." I hung up the phone and went to find my keys. "Guys, I'm going to head over to Papa's. Anyone else coming?" They looked at each other and all got up.

"So where's Brian?" Jimmy asked.

"I think he said something about having to talk to Michelle," Johnny said. We all groaned. We knew what that meant and knew we were in for hell.

When we got to Papa's, Suzy said they were in the living room. I walked in and saw Sen laying on the couch with her head in Papa's lap. He looked when he saw us come in and signed for us to keep quiet. That's when I realized she was asleep.

I kneeled down on the floor next to the couch and stroked her cheek. I could tell she hadn't been getting much sleep lately. As I looked down at her split lip, I grew angry. "I wish I could kill him."

"You need to keep calm, Zack," Papa said sternly.

"You didn't see it first hand," I said, glaring at her lip.

"You're right, I didn't, but still. It won't help the matter by you causing something."

I zoned out as I looked down at her wrist. I softly touched it, realizing that it was in the shape of a hand. "Did she tell you what happened?" I asked him.

"No, but she said you asked. She also said she would tell you in time... Once you had calmed down."

"I just can't control myself sometimes, Papa. I've seen my sister hurt before, almost to the point of committing suicide... And almost being successful. I didn't want to see her go through that again."

"She's a strong girl, Zack. I'm pretty sure none of that is crossing her mind right now. Yes, she's hurt, but she didn't truly love that boy. So what's the point of her getting that upset about it? Why let it take over her like that?"

"I just know things can get to her sometimes."

"But then she realizes it and pulls herself back together."

"When did you take over my role?" I asked, pouting.

"I didn't take over. I'm just filling in," he said, smiling softly.

"I know I've been an ass lately... And I plan to make it up to her."

"Zack, you have a right to feel the way you feel also. You just have to keep it under control."

That was my biggest issue... Keeping myself in control, especially when it came to my anger issues.

I just wanted to go back to when we were little and these kind of things didn't matter. It would be a hell of a lot easier to look out for her! Back then, it was just the boogie man and the crazy old lady across the street. Now it's boys... And I'm one of them!