Baby Baker

Chapter 36

Image

I sat there in my black robe, staring at the scene in front of me. So many years of blood, sweat and tears, for this very day. This day that we all looked forward to, but knew it wouldn't be our last, for most of us to be in the same position yet again.

"And now for our Valedictorian, Sendra Baker." I looked up out of my daze to the sound of clapping and cheering. I was shocked at most of the students reactions, but smiled and stood.

"Hey, everyone," I said as happily as I could. "This day has come quickly for some, but too slow for others. We all lose the most important thing about this day, though. We've put so much work into our years of school and think that it's finally over. But, your life of learning is never quite over. You may be out of the classroom that feels like a prison, but you go on learning things in the real world. You learn survival, skills and many others." I looked up to where Brian was sitting.

"But one thing you can't ever learn, is love. Love got you here. Love kept you going. And love will always be a part of your life. Keep the ones you love close, but learn to let go when it's time to go your own way. Just like after today, we'll all be leaving for college, and we probably won't see each other until our reunion... So take what life has to offer and live it to the fullest. Cherish every moment you can and don't let it slip away from you. Remember to not let anything hold you back, or you might spend the rest of your life regretting it. Thank you."

I walked back to my seat, and spaced out yet again. So many thoughts were running through my head, that I hadn't even realized I had started crying. I'm pretty sure my tear barriers were broken, because they had been leaking a lot these last few days...

When it was over, I headed out the back doors of the gym and towards my car. I sighed, pulling off my robe and hat, revealing my clothes underneath.

"Hey, you." Cal smiled, walking over and pulling me into a tight hug. "You did great!"

"Thanks," I said, smiling softly. I felt like I made no sense in my speech, but I didn't care. When I was writing, the words just started flowing and that's what came out.

His smile faded. "Sen, come out with me tonight. We'll have some fun and get your mind off of things."

I shook my head. "Not tonight, Cal. I'm sorry. I think I'm just going to go to bed."

"Sen, you're scaring me, Sweetie."

"How am I scaring you, Cal?" I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

"You've been so quiet these last few days."

I looked away, knowing if he looked into my eyes, he would know the reason. They always seemed to betray me.

Truth was, I hadn't told anyone about Brian and I splitting up, and he hadn't either. I think he was holding onto every last bit of hope that something would fix it...

"I'm going to go. I'll call you later," I said, before getting in my car and driving off.

I drove down to the beach and walked down the pier... I sat in the sand, curling my knees to my chest. The memories of this place flashed through my mind like a romance movie without a happy ending...

I guess Brian and I were like Jack and Rose. A love that just couldn't stay together but would live on for forever...

*Brian's P.O.V.*

I got home, since everyone had decided that we would just celebrate here, and saw that Zack and Sen's parents' car was here. Great...

I walked in and found everyone scattered around the house. Family and friends were everywhere. "Hey, Brian. Have you seen my sister?" Zack asked concerned.

I wish.

"Not since the school. Why? What's wrong?"

"She isn't here yet and it's starting to worry me."

"She probably just went off on her own for a while," I said, shrugging.

He stared at me, as if he was trying to figure something out. "What's going on with you two? You've been joined at the hip for months, and now I don't see you anywhere near each other. What happened?"

"I wish I knew..."

"What?"

"Nothing. I'll go look for her."

"Brian." He stopped me, grabbing my arm. "What happened between you two? Is there something I should know."

"We broke up, ok?" There, it was finally out.

He looked at me confused and shocked. "Why?" Was all he could ask.

"I don't know. Ask Sen."

"What did she say?"

"She just doesn't think it's going to work out between us apparently."

He sighed, rubbing his face. "Give her time, Brian. She'll come back to her senses. She's just afraid of losing you while you're on the road and she's off at college."

"Oh, no. She made it clear that there was never going to be an us again."

He stared at the floor, shaking his head. "I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "Don't worry about it. There's nothing anyone can do," I mumbled, before heading back to my car. I knew where she was... I just didn't know if she wanted to see me...

When I showed up at the pier, I found Sen asleep. Tears stained her face as her head lay on her knees. My heart broke even more than it already was. I picked her up and carried her to the car. I knew she didn't want to be around anyone right now, so I took her home, to her own bed.

I couldn't find it in me to leave her alone. I knew she needed someone and I wanted to be that someone... I went against my better judgment and lay with her.

She was on her side, as I lay behind her, wrapping my arm around her waist and holding her close to my chest. I breathed in the sweet scent of her hair, remembering it.

I squeezed my eyes shut and kissed the top of her head softly. This girl made me fall for her and every single way. And now I couldn't get back up.

A few hours later, there was a knock on the door. Jimmy walked in, a sad look on his face. "It's time to go, Bri," he said softly.

I nodded, then turned back to Sen. "I love you, Baby. No matter what you think... I would have done everything in my power to make us work... You'll always have a part of my heart." I kissed her lips softly, before slowly standing up, making sure not to wake her.

I watched her sleeping form as I closed the door.

You were my first and only love Sendra Cathleen Baker. You have no idea how much you changed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sen's outfit