Status: Under construction.

Away!

Williana

Williana's heart felt torn as she reread the text message from Yel that arrived a few days ago. It said “Hey guys! I miss you all. Awww touching ryt? Lol :)) So schools almost over. Hooray! Lets meet up on the 1st night of summer at our old hi school. Whos going?”

Until now she has not yet replied, and it was already the first day of summer after their first year of college. She sorely wanted to go! She really, really did, but she could not.

“Arggh, I wanna go!” she screamed into the tummy of her big, pink teddy bear. Just as she removed the bear from her face, her mother passed by the open bedroom door. Williana's bedroom door, which did not have a lock, was not allowed to be closed unless she was going sleep. It was one of her mother's many rules. She did a double-take to inspect her daughter.

“Tidy your hair, Williana,” she commanded choppily. “You still have that brush I gave you, do you not?”

'Do you not?' Seriously, who says that? Williana thought. To her mother, she replied monotonously, “Yes, mother.”

“And your glasses are crooked.” That was from pressing her face so hard on the bear. “What have you been doing?”

“I, uh, fell asleep on my book.” Uh-oh, I shouldn't have said that. Mental face palm. And three, two, one... here comes the lecture. Williana rolled her mental eyes.

“You fell asleep? On your book?” the prim and proper mother said slowly. She put her hands together as she continued, “You know you should be getting enough sleep. That is eight to ten hours a day. But if you have been feeling drowsy lately, you should allot ten hours for your sleep. Also, make sure that you eat everything that I prepare for you and that you get enough exercise. I read that the best time is in the afternoon. Were you able to exercise this afternoon?”

Williana nodded but her mother did not give any sign of noticing although she was looking straight at her. She required a proper response. “Yes, mother.”

“Good. But perhaps you overdid it. Also, the next time you cannot help but fall asleep, use a pillow, not a book. You might drool on it, Williana.”

“Yes, mother.”

“What book were you reading anyway?” Williana reached for the nearest book without even looking at it, and it turned out to be the Chick Lit given to her by one her friends in college.

Oh shit! Williana thought. Another wrong choice. This is not my day. Three, two, one...

“Why do you even have that book?” Her mother showed a slight tone of disgust. And she went on to lecture her daughter about the importance of what kind of books she should read since there are so many out there.

Williana resigned herself to just nod, looking like those bobbing head figures seen on car dashboards, and repeating “Yes, mother” every now and then, not really listening anymore. But she did hear the next words her mother said.

“...college you should keep your mind sharp. It is a pity you did not sign up for summer classes so you will graduate sooner than usual. Perhaps next year. To make up for it, you will spend these summer nights reviewing your textbooks,” she went to Williana's backpack and took out one of the said textbooks and handed it to her daughter, “starting with this one. I trust you to not use it as a pillow, Williana.”

Williana hid her disgusted expression until her mother left the room. What the fuck?! Study during summer? She thought as she pounded her head repeatedly on her teddy bear's tummy, feeling absolutely hopeless. She needs a boyfriend. Maybe she doesn't allow herself to have one just like she doesn't allow me to have one. I want my own life! Just as she finished that line of thought, the message alert tone of her cellphone went off.

Her heart leaped when she saw the message. It was from Yel again. “Hey u going? Im outsyd ur house :)”