Sequel: A Cherry Sunset

A Dawn I Thought We'd Never See

First Incounters + Invitations

“Another boring, plain, hot, steamy day on Warped Tour.” I sighed and leaned over in my foldable chair to rest my head on Jack Barakat’s shoulder. I always kept an extra empty chair behind the merchandise stand for company.

“You know, when you say steamy, it gives it a sexual appeal.” Jack wiggled his shoulder and I tilted my head back a little to raise an eyebrow at his suggestive smirk.

“You’re such a nerd, Barakat.” I shoved him, mostly to push myself upright, and then giggled as he shrugged and looked off at the people passing the table. “Mkay, well, I have to pee, so would you pretty please watch my merch for two minutes?” I slipped on my flip flops and stood up, pulling my shorts down a little at the same time.

“It takes you two minutes to pee?” I rolled my eyes at his appalled face. “It only takes me two seconds.” He cheekily smiled at me, which I took as a yes to my question and slipped out from behind the table my merch was lying behind.

“Yes Jack, but I’m a girl!” I emphasized and started to walk away, toward the direction I was hoping the port’o’potties were. One of those things that were so entirely annoying about being on tour was that everything was in a different place the next day.

“Bye Emily!” Jack yelled from back at the tent and caused a few passersby to glance his way. I casually waved without turning around and continued on my quest.

Twenty minutes later I was still walking around and my bladder was about to kill me. I’d somehow managed to wander to the bus area and decided to change my means of accomplishing my goal. That is, I picked the closest bus to me and knocked. The door opened sooner than I expected and there stood Mr. Kyle Burns at the top of the stairs.

“Hey Emz,” he started to greet me, and probably would have hugged me if I hadn’t pushed past him and stalked onto the bus. “What’s up?” He confusedly followed me but stopped as I stepped into the bathroom and reached to close the door. “Oh.” He nodded and turned while I shut the door and finally relieved myself.

“Much better,” I exclaimed and stretched as I stepped out into the hallway. Kyle was lounging on the couch with his usual goofy grin on.

“I feel so used.” He extended his arms in the gesture that he wanted a hug. Once I did get in arms reach of him, he quickly pulled me down onto his lap and hugged me to his chest. “You only stop by when you need to use the bathroom.” I could feel him burying his face in my hair and it brought a smile to my lips.

“Aw, does wittle Kyle miss me?” I patted his forearm and cooed in a baby voice. He chuckled before nodding, his face now making its way to the back of my neck. “I’m sorry doll, I’ve just been a little too busy with business to come and play Mario Party with you and the guys.” I added the last part as I felt that tingling sensation of Kyle’s lips at the back of my neck.

It wasn’t anything personal against Kyle, it was just in general. Dating on tour never goes well, so I keep my emotions in check and say no, even to the really great guys like Kyle. He sighed heavily, probably thinking about the time I’d told him no, and then squeezed my waist before bringing his head up to look me in the eyes.

“Then play with me now, while you’re here.” He started to give me that cute pouty face and I smiled again.

“Can’t doll. I left Barakat to watch over merch like twenty minutes ago and I think he plays in like ten.” Kyle’s face fell into a frown at my explanation, but he loosened his hold on me.

“Okay,” he sounded so defeated as he hugged me again and let go altogether. I stood and waved to him as I left the bus.

“Stop by the tent anytime.” I gave the invitation and watched him nod and smile before the door closed behind me. “Now, to find my way back,” I muttered to no one and started to walk towards the music.

Finding the way back is always easier. All you have to do is follow the music and then walk around to find merch avenue. Much easier than finding the toilets that were behind the Hurley stage yesterday, but by the entrance today.

“Emily!” A frantic Jack jumped over the table and started running toward me as soon as I came into sight. I smiled and quickened my pace a little, knowing Jack was probably being screamed at by band members that were having panic attacks, when something hit me on my left side, hard.

I fell to the ground and looked around confused, until my eyes rested on a pair of dark green ones glaring at me. “Stay out of meh bloody path.” The sweet looking, black haired boy growled at me and stalked off. I looked after him with my bum still on the ground and my mouth partly open.

“Are you okay, Em?” Jack had finally reached me. He grabbed my hands and pulled me up, brushing the dirt and leaves off my butt and back.

“Did you just see that?” I asked and pointed in the direction the mysteriously grouchy man had stormed off in.

“Yeah, that was the lovely Oliver.” Jack seemed to be glaring at Oliver’s back for a few seconds before turning back to me with a concerned expression. “Just ignore him; he’s like that to everybody.”

“Lovely my ass.” I mumbled and glared off at where Oliver could have been. Jack’s chuckle brought me out of my growing fury bubble. “What’s so funny?” I poked him in the stomach and grinned up at him.

“Just you with that mad look in your eye.” Jack poked my nose and giggled. “As if you could be mad,” he giggled harder.

“I can be mad, I just choose not to be.” I rolled my eyes and threw my arms around his tiny waist. “Now, you’d better get so Alex doesn’t have a baby trying to find you.” I squeezed him and then pulled back to wink at him.

“See ya later Em.” Jack waved and dashed off toward the music scene.

I sighed and wandered over to my merch to see Vicky-T sitting in my company chair and Gabe Saporta in my chair. “Nerd, move.” I snapped my fingers once I was standing in front of him. He just rolled his eyes and patted his lap. I shrugged mentally and sat on him. “So, what are you nerds doing here?”

“Gabe wanted to invite you to the party tonight at the hotel.” Vicky-T smiled innocently while Gabe glared at her.

“Aw, how sweet of you Saporta.” I grinned and turned slightly to pat his head. “But you know I’m not a big drinker.”

“You can still come and dance with me.” That classic Saporta smile spread across his lips as he raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“Your hot, Latin dancing is not as tempting as you think.” Both Vicky-T and I cracked up in giggles while Gabe pouted. “But a bed sure as hell does.” Skelanimals didn’t pay for hotels. They paid for a van and gas and expected my co-worker, Victoria, and I to sleep in it. However, on those nights when we were in a town more than one day and the bands all crashed at different hotels, Vee and I would bum off one of our friends.

“So you’ll come if I share my bed?” Gabe asked hopefully and squeezed my sides. I nodded and he yelled a victorious “Yes!” that was mighty close to my ear.

“Alright, now you got your answer, can we please go get something to eat?” Vicky-T stood up and whined while she stomped her one foot.

“Yes, little three year old.” Gabe answered sarcastically and gently pushed me up from my hips so he could stand up. “You want us to bring you anything?” He asked sweetly and hugged me goodbye.

“It’s fine.” I shook my head and moved to hug Vicky-T. “Putman promised to bring me Arby’s after his set, which was,” I glanced at my phone on the table, “ten minutes ago so he’ll be here in a bit.” I waved it off and he shrugged as they left the tenet, exchanging byes on the way.

I sighed and sat down in my chair again, pulling my Zune out of the secret compartment and putting my ear buds in. “Just another boring, plain, hot, steamy day on Warped Tour.” I repeated to myself and hit play with the song ‘Lawyers’ by The Audition highlighted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy
How does the first chapter sound? Too cheesy? Too cliche? Too boring?
xooxEmber