Sequel: A Cherry Sunset

A Dawn I Thought We'd Never See

Hotels + Drinks

“I ‘aven’t been cramped in a van in years!” December complained from the stuffed backseat. Well, I thought she was complaining until she started laughing. “God, this ‘s great.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who was so excited about a silly van.” Victoria laughed from the driver’s seat and looked at December in the rear view mirror.

“Yeah, well, once yeh get fanceh buses an’ all the replacements yeh need, yeh miss the old simple ways.” She shrugs and then leans forward so her head pops in between Victoria and I.

“I would kill for a bus bunk every night and no driving.” I sighed dreamily. “I don’t even think my body knows how to have a full night’s sleep anymore.”

“Sleep ‘s fer when yeh’re dead.” She scoffs and leans back. “Speakin’ of alcohol an’ girleh truth-tellin’.” Victoria and I both burst out laughing.

“We weren’t speaking of either of those things.” Victoria shook her head.

“Well I was thinkin’ ‘bout both of ‘em an’ ‘s time we start!” She yelled the last word as she thrust her fist between the two seats. Clutched in her hand was a giant bottle of something golden.

“Do you always carry large bottles of hard liquor in your purse?” I raised my eyebrows as she giggled.

“Actually, I stole this from Oleh’s personal collection ‘efore we left.” It was like telling the truth made her laugh harder. “I ‘spect he’ll be callin’ sometime soon teh bitch.”

“I guess we better drink up before he finds it missing then.” Victoria reached for the bottle and my eyes widened.

“Vee!” I screamed and quickly grabbed the bottle out of December’s hand. “You’re driving! There’s no way in hell I’m letting you drink!”

“The lass ‘as a point.” December sighed and then her head poked forward with a manic grin. “I say we find the closest hotel an’ then parteh the nigh’ away.”

“Then we won’t make it to the next city on time.” Victoria stated sadly but December still had a impish gleam in her eye that looked just like Oliver’s.

“So what ‘appens ef yeh two take a day off?” She suggested mischievously and Victoria and I exchanged a look. “’S not like the world ‘s goin’ teh crumble ef yeh don’t set up fer one day.”

“I’d love to take a day off, but you’ve got to pass it through Emily first. She the boss around here.” Victoria snickered as I shot a fake glare her way.

“You know Dee,” I smiled wide and turned my attention to December. “That sounds brilliant. Let’s find a damn hotel and party till the sun comes up.” I smirk as Victoria’s eyes bulged and her mouth dropped open.

“Awe, I bloody love yeh.” December squealed and kissed my cheek before settling back in her seat with giggles.

“You should have come around ages ago, Dee!” Victoria exclaimed as she took an exit off the main highway. “Emily hasn’t been this laid back since I’ve met her!”

“Things have changed.” I mumbled and turned my head to stare out the window. I watched the buildings pass as we drove through a small area. It didn’t look much like a town, but it had a few hotels and a cheap motel. We pulled up to a fancy looked hotel called Sleepy Nights and I sat in the van while Victoria and December got out, giggling the whole way into the building.

I fiddled with the radio while I waited but there wasn’t anything on so I drummed my fingers on the dash to a tune in my head. That is, till something started screaming in the backseat. I jumped in my seat and spun around to find an iPhone. I picked it up and figured it was December’s as the name ‘fat wanker I’ blinked at me. I arched my eyebrows and darted my gaze to the hotel’s front doors before answering.

“Hello?” It was surprisingly dead quiet on the other end and I dearly wished I knew who ‘fat wanker I’ was. “Hello?” A throat cleared and relief flooded me.

“Emileh?” And dread took over just as fast. “’S that yeh?”

I swallowed hard with my dry mouth. “Y-yeah, it’s me. December left her phone in the car and then it started screaming at me so I answered.” And apparently I’m nervous because I only ramble when I’m nervous, or anxious.

“She does ‘ave a bad ‘abit of losin’ things all the time.” Oliver chuckled.

“Was there something you needed? I can go get her.” I rush out, dying to end this tension strained conversation.

“Oh, no, that’s okay.” Oliver sounded breathless and it slightly amused me. “Jus’ tell ‘er she owes meh for the bottle of JD that she cleverleh stole.”

“Oh, right. She said you’d be calling about that.” I smiled involuntarily and saw Victoria and December stumbling out of the hotel, laughing harder than when they entered.

“Tell ‘er she’s bloody dead when she gets back.” There wasn’t the usual menace in his tone, only a brother’s teasing.

“Will do, bye Oli.” He grumbled a goodbye before I hung up as the van doors opened and the girls climbed in. “Oliver called.” I informed her as I handed her the phone. This seemed to make them crack up again.

“Yeh should ‘ave told ‘im thanks fer the suite!” She thrust something into my hand as she took the phone. It was a card with the name Oliver S. Sykes imprinted on it. “Since ‘e paid fer it!” Laughter erupted again and I just shook my head as we drove around the building. I slipped the card into my back pocket to save Oliver from anymore big spending.

“So are we dancing first or showering first?” Victoria giggled as she hulled her luggage up the stairs.

“’S a girl’s night in so what e’er pleases yeh most is fine by meh.” December unlocked the door and threw her bag in. “I’ll set up the tunes.” She whistled as she swung her hips to the music in her head.

“I’m showering then,” Victoria sighed as she went straight to the bathroom with her bag. “I want to smell like fruit when I wake up, for once.” I laughed and closed the door behind me. I went to the sofa and sat, taking a look around. The place was huge and facy. Oliver had to be paying in the four digits for this one night stay.

“What ‘bout yeh, Emileh? Readeh teh dance an’ drink with meh?” December glanced over her shoulder at me with raised eyebrows and another familiar smirk.

“Start with the alcohol first. The dancing’ll come later.” She smiled with a knowing look and handed me the large, almost full glass bottle.

“Righ’, I’ll be s’pecting teh ‘ear all ‘bout Oleh lateh, too.” I choked on the burning liquid at her words.

“What do you mean all-about-Oli?” My voice goes up in disbelief as she giggles and music starts low.

“I mean what the ‘ell’s goin’ on between yeh two.” December turned round in her chair and stared at me.

“Nothing!” I shouted exasperated and took a full swallow of the alcohol.

“Bollocks! From the second I stepped in the that airport, I could feel the fuckin’ tension between the teh of yeh. So be ‘onest an’ tell me what’s goin’ on!”

I flinched. “Well, we didn’t exactly get off to a great start.” I admit before taking another large swallow and then passing the bottle to December.

“Behcause Oleh’s a dick. We all know that, but there’s somethin’ else.” She persisted and took a drink as I shrugged.

“He apologized for being a jerk and things have been weird since. I’m trying to be friendly though, as long as he’s trying too.” I started to get unsettled under her gaze. She was staring at me like I had another head or something.

“Tom told meh ‘e was makin’ littel changes, but that’s amazin! ‘E actually apologized?” She sounded incredulous as she took another gulp and handed me the bottle.

“Yeah, what’s so special about him apologizing?” I asked as I remembered Victoria and Andy’s reaction being similar to hers.

“Jus’ that apologizin’ meant ‘e actually ‘ad teh care that ‘e ‘urt yeh.” She stared off. I felt a little pity for Oliver at her words.

“Oliver can be a real pain in the ass, but he still has feelings. He still cares.” Why did I always end up defending him?

“Yeh don’t know Oleh like I do.” December shook her head and frowned. “Not like Tom an’ the boys an’ I know ‘im.” Her sullen expression left for a more serious and firm one. “Now, I’m onleh goin’ teh tell yeh this because I know Oliver won’t.” That was the first time I’d ever heard her call him Oliver and not Oli.

“If Oliver doesn’t want to talk about it, then I probably shouldn’t—,” I leaned forward to place the bottle on the table but froze under her gaze again.

“Yeh deserve teh know, Em. Yeh ‘re the reason ‘e’s changin’ so much so I think yeh should know what ‘appened.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy
uh oh . . . . Oliver's dark past?
xooxEmber