Shattered

Chapter two

Everything had happened so fast. The thoughts were racing through my mind. Every word entwined in another, jumbled to complete chaos. But nothing mattered. I didn't pay attention to the words, they weren't going to help. All I had eyes for was the girl in front of me.

She was fading away. Her eyes were closed. She was waiting for death. She wanted it, but I wasn't going to let that happen. I barely remembered breathing as I had ran to the bathroom to find her, laying on the floor in a forming pool of her own blood. It was a gory scene, not for those with a weak stomach. I didn't pay attention to the blood. All I knew was that I had to get her help.

It felt like years before the ambulance came. I carried her to the truck, whispering words of encouragement that I couldn't even hear between my heart racing and her heart fading.

I'd never been this close to death before and honestly it was scaring me, but I stayed strong. I had to for her. I was her knew support system, because obviously no one else care enough.

I didn't know this girl, I had never seen her before in my life, but I couldn't leave her. I refused, no matter how much they persisted; I followed.

The rest was a blur of emotions and thoughts. Colors and lights, smells and sounds. Nothing was adding up, nothing was making sense. I was told to sit in a chair and for the first moment since I'd laid eyes on the girl, I gave up. My body sank into the cold plastic, finally tired from all of the rush. I closed my eyes just to take a deep breath but I found they were heavy and I let the sleep come over me.

"Sir," I stirred from my half sleeping state and looked up to see a neatly dressed nurse standing in front of me with a clip board. "Sir, are you here for a-" she glanced at her clip board "Daniella Abraham?" She asked me. I looked at her confused for a moment and then I realized that I didn't know the girls name.

"Um, yeah I think so." I hoped it was the right girl.

"Well, we wrapped up her wrists and we think she'll be okay, but she lost a lot of blood and she's been in and out of consciousness. We're not sure what's wrong, but we're doing some tests and we'll find out. You can visit her now."

I stood up to leave my chair vacant, left for the next person with a dying family member or friend, or maybe someone they don't even know, but still happen to care about, like me.

"Do you happen to know what she used to cut herself with?"

I shook my head, but as I did it I remembered seeing the blade lying on the floor next to her, covered in the oozy red liquid. "Yeah, it was a razor blade, why?"

"Do you know if it was rusty?"