Aim for the Throat

Chapter 7

The bathroom echoed as sinks dripped, each time making Brendon jump. The boy had taken a shard of mirror in his hand and squeezed tightly, blanked faced and thinking shortly before leaving. It was almost as if he was trying to hide his broken reflection. That was minutes ago. Brendon clung to the wall behind the toilet still horrified. He felt as if the boy had seen him though the crack in the stall, while he was looking at himself in the mirror. Loosening his tie he tip toed towards the stall door and then inched to the big oak door.

Grasping the door handle he listened before pulling it open and checking the uninhabited hallway. There was no chance for second thoughts because he sprinted down the hallway. Nearly tackling the doors to outside he was relieved when the fresh air hit his face, but all too soon he realized what just happened as the door clicked, locked, and shut behind him. Authorities were approaching him, he knew what this could have looked like, putting up his hands he let them move towards him.

"Look, I'm a teacher." Stammering and lowering a hand he showed them the ID hanging from his neck. They nodded and moved him to a large group of people where he searched specifically for two faces, "He looked like he was going to the math building." Wiping a hand over his face his fears for Cohen bubbled deep in his stomach making him feel sickening flutters.

One of the men took note of this and then let him go join the group where he immediately searched for Ryan. Craning his neck he saw the tall, skinny man pacing. With wide strides Brendon made his way over to Ryan, shaking his head he pursed his lips together.

"Brendon!" Ryan breathed his eyes still misting. Ignoring Brendon's expression Ryan pulled him into a hug.

"I should have stayed. Cohen--" Brendon stopped and sighed his pulse was in his ears. Ryan gently kissed he top of his head and Brendon finally loosened his tense arms to return the hug quickly realizing he couldn't have done anything.

The two separated and had nothing to do, but pray and watch the most horrifying playing scene out in front of them.