Aim for the Throat

Chapter 3

Ryan flipped through papers and his answer key while his class sat in the library doing research on Shakespeare, only occasionally interrupted by a student. He didn't mind though. Not much had changed since 8:00 a.m. that morning, nothing other then he had gotten a killer paper cut, he had a song stuck in his head, and his shoe kept coming untied. All was going according to schedule otherwise. When he was done grading papers he was going to round his class up so they could go back to his room, across the courtyard, and gather their belongings prior to the bell ringing. It was almost eleven, he was praying to God that Brendon had remembered Cohen's appointment. If they missed it and Cohen didn't have a physical he couldn't continue with soccer. That's when he heard the announcement.

"Attention teachers proceed action for shelter in place. This is not a drill."

There was a shot, he couldn't tell where it came from, but he knew it was too late to get a class of the size he had moved anywhere. Fear overcame him, but he kept a composed front. Shrill screams were coming from some scared girls and a few people had already passed out.

"Ok, everyone get down. Stay calm." His voice was starting to rush, this was nothing what they had prepared him for.

Going through his family's locations he realized both of them could very well be in trouble, trying to remain what he had to portray he reasoned they were at the doctor's office. Feeling an emptiness he hadn't felt in years, his biggest fear of loosing everything he had was simultaneously coming true. After taking one more head count he found an open spot under a library table. His legs awkwardly crossed in his dress pants and his head spun.

"Monday, Monday…can't trust that day…" The tune seemed too happy sounding to him as it roamed open spots in his head.

Underlying his fear a slight enragement was overcoming him. It was it was him who split up Panic!, him who suggested they go to Summerlin to teach, and it was him who had to schedule Cohen's doctor's appointment today. He coughed to cover up the almost-whimper in his throat. He didn't know how much time had passed, it felt like seconds, it felt like hours, it felt like a dream.

"Oh Monday morning you gave no warning of what was to be…"

Quickly wiping away an angry and frustrated tear forming in the corner of his eye footsteps started coming toward the library building. Ryan gazed around the metal leg of the table and watching for whatever might come next. All voices, angry, scared or singing silenced in his head leaving only his heart in his ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
I figured the Mamas and the Papas would be a band Ryan Ross would listen to. :D

Anyways the drill: Any American BAby? Comment and subscribe

Have a nice day guys!!