Letter to the Dead

To my Dear Departed Michael

I miss you
I miss all of you.
I miss all of the things we did.
I miss all of the things we could have done.
I just miss it all.

Now, sitting on my window seat, I remember each time we sat there together. Your face is still fresh in my mind. Your pretty eyes still capture me, like when I would stare into them right before you’d kiss me. I can still feel your hair as I pulled my fingers though it. I can just remember everything about you.

I am wearing my funeral clothes. It hurts to know that they’re for your funeral. It hurts to know you’re gone. It hurts to know I’ll never get to say goodbye. It hurts to know I can’t say I love you. It just hurts. It just hurts all over.

Last night, when I went to the wake, I knew that my days of torture wouldn’t end when you were put to read. I still couldn’t imagine life without you.

I saw you when I walked in. you were still—so still—lifeless, dead. I sat down and put my face in my hands, remember your last words, your last breath. They all still haunt me. They will always haunt me.

Your last words still ring in my ears. You had told me you loved me. And then I had watch the headlights of a car get closer and closer until they were so close that they smashed into our car. I was stunned for a second, blind with fear and adrenaline and pain. I woke up sometime later. Maybe it was a minute later, maybe a month.

You were in the drivers seat, slumped over, bleeding. I remember the blood everywhere. I put my hands on your face—they were bloody too— and cried. I cried for you. I kissed you and whispered I loved you, though you probably didn’t hear me. I whispered it over and over soon I realized you were already dead. The world seemingly stopped right there.

Now, sitting at my window, I shutter at the memory. Other memories flood my mind now of your wake. I had sat with you, all alone, whispering to you, begging you to wake up. You were lifeless, just the same as when you died. I placed a flower next to you. I wiped my tears and put the only picture of us I had next to you. I wiped more tears, as I moved your hair from your face. Your face was cold; It wasn’t yours. You weren’t in your body, but this body was familiar. It made me remember all those times we had together. I remember every second we were together. I stood up, hoping to get your lifeless body out of my head. I just wanted to remember the good times.

You remember those times, right? We were always laughing, or just smiling. I just want those back. I wish I could replay them. I wish I could remember ever little detail.

I never knew I’d loose you like this. I thought you might fall for another girl, but I never thought you’d die. I never thought I’d never see you again.
The memories flash in my mind. The memories of the accident are the one that I don’t know what to do with. I want to hold onto the last moment I had with you, but I don’t want to remember that you died and that last agonizing breath. I bet you were in so much pain. I know I was. I was hurting so much. And it wasn’t from my broken arm. I remember the bright light of that other car. All those haunt me. The memories, the scars, are sometimes just too hard to forget, but painful to remember. I shut them out, but I don’t want to forget the last time I had with you. I hope you know how much I love you. I hope you know that I won’t ever stop loving you. I just miss you so much. I miss your kisses, all of them. The teasing ones, where I couldn’t stop giggling, or the ones where I was so into the kiss, I didn’t care where we were. The long passionate ones, where I was so close to you, that I could hardly breath, and my heart could’ve pounded right out of my chest.

I don’t want you to forget me either. I just hope wherever you are, you’re happy. I just want you to know I love you and I miss you. I hope that you still love me.

Love Always,
Amanda

Amanda placed the letter into his coffin, and wiped her wet cheeks. She took a deep breath and walked away. She remembered her long hours with Michael, that she’ll never regret, but she won’t go though life just missing him. She’ll try to move on and try to be happy. To be happy enough for both Amanda and Michael.
She has no doubt they would’ve gotten married. She has no doubt that she would spend the rest of her life with him, but now she has to move on, mostly just for him. She had to move on for him. She knew it was what he would have wanted.