Status: standalone

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones

The Only

"Hey Pete?"

"Yea?"

"I think..."

"What?"

"I love you"

We were sitting on his couch, just sitting watching the news or something together. I wasn't paying attention to it. It was the seven month anniversary of our slow-moving relationship. I was one of those people who just didn't fall in love easily, so this statement was huge for me. It was during a commercial, and I felt him drifting off before I gained the courage to speak.

He had asked me to come over that morning and seemed a little weird on the phone, but when I got there all sign of weirdness was gone. Now it was coming back. He was too tense to be comfortable with me and what I had just said.

"No. You can't love me."

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because, well, I don't love you! I'm not even sure I like you anymore!"

This was not cool. Not good at all.

"But! No! I love you! You can't do this to me! I finally find someone who I can fall in love with and he's 'not sure he even likes me anymore!'?" You know how I am! This can't be happening.... It’s some kind of sick, cruel joke, right? Did the guys put you up to this?"

(feet pacing, minds racing)

"No. No guys, just me. Just my feelings, or lack thereof. I was gonna dump you tonight! That's why you're here!"

"Then why were we about to fall asleep? Together? On your couch?"

"Because when I saw you in my doorway, I just couldn't do it. There you were, so innocent and loving and... I just... couldn't… do it."

"No. Like hell you couldn't! If you can do it when I've given my whole heart to you, what makes you think you can now?"

"Honestly? I never thought that you COULD love!"

(cue the awkward silence)

I backed into the corner. We had long since jumped out of each other’s arms and the couch had moved. Chairs were knocked over, the rug completely out of the way.
He made a step toward me.

"No. Just- just let me go, then. Unlock the door Pete. (he moved toward the door) You know, you will always love me. You will never forget me. And as famous as you might become, I will get over you. I will forget who you were to me and all the time I wasted falling for you. You will once again become the little old drummer in that band of yours, and I'll never have to see you again. So have a nice life. And keep your memories. I have a feeling you'll need them."

And with that, I walked out of his house and his life.

"You know--I think you're right."
♠ ♠ ♠
Pete was the first name I thought of when looking for something describing a good ole' s.o.b.
(I think maybe I've been playing too much Kingdom Hearts.)