Status: currently on hold since I'm busy and all..

Lies, Laws and Love

Literature

Her steps were light, barely thought about and gracious as a lady’s, as she climbed up the few steps of the tribune, overseeing the whole basketball court from the north-east flank. Her eyes were set on the lone figure sitting, completely abandoned, quite in the dead middle of the middle row.

She saw as he looked up, probably having heard her steps, lifted his head and furrowed his brows in confusion for a moment, before he lifted his elbows from his thighs and sat up straighter. She was still approaching and watched closely as he threw a look at the guys on the court, currently trying to ruin a single guy’s run. His gaze was still confused, but as she was in hearing distance, he turned his head towards her again and the left corner of his mouth lifted slightly.

“Hey there.” He said in friendly manner, his smile ever so small, but causing Brooke to return it, slightly more enthusiastically.

“Hey.” She greeted back gently, barely audible above the yelling guys on the court, and sat down next to him, leaving enough space, not to intrude into his personal bubble. She pretended not to be all too interested in him for a moment, scanning the guys that were now laughing heartily at the attempted jump shot of their friend. Their voices were the only noise heard as it was strangely calm in the city that day.

But then she looked over at him again, catching him glancing at the guys as well. Her eyes wandered to the book which still rested in his palms. The pages were nearly blindingly light and she narrowed her eyes to shield them, causing a wrinkle to appear between her brows.

“If you don’t mind me asking?” She watched as the boy snapped his eyes around, searching for hers and scanned them shortly before nodding, accepting her courteous question.

“Why aren’t you down there with the rest of the guys?” She could see his brows rising higher on his forehead, while he was still staring at her, mouth slightly opened. A moment later he averted his eyes and lifted the book in his hands, drawing her attention to the pages.

“English assignment. And besides they aren’t really my friends.” He answered. His voice was low, quite pleasant to listen to and held a certain ounce of annoyance. At what, she didn’t quite know. However, she didn’t bother to ask, figuring it was the English assignment he had to do.

“Oh. But then why are you here?” He looked up at her innocent question, slightly incredulous. Then he lifted a hand and ran it through his light brown hair, messing it up really nicely. Brooke couldn’t avert her eyes from the movement.

“Well you see, my brother is down there. And he’s kinda my ride home. So I don’t have much choice, but to wait ‘til he’s finished playing.” He was watching her out of the corner of his eye and Brooke began to feel slightly nervous. She adjusted her crimson plaid skirt and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

“That’s unfortunate.” She replied and he raised his eyebrows, amusement clearly shining in his eyes, a silent smile playing on his lips. She ignored it but felt slightly embarrassed at sounding so different from him.

“Let me guess, you’re some politician’s daughter?” She looked at him, mouth halfway opened to retaliate, but changed her mind halfway through, at seeing his eyes. She lowered her gaze to her lap, intertwining her fingers and smiled smittenly.

“Something like that.” Her airy tone didn’t remain unnoticed by the boy, but as she saw that he had opened his mouth, ruefully glittering eyes barely concealed by shadows, she simply pretended nothing had happened, changed her tone and gazed up at him.

“What is it that you are reading?” she asked him, while studying him. His light grey hoodie jacket, was opened on the front to about the middle of his torso. A dark blue shirt lurked underneath. His pants were black and made of look-alike jeans textile. They were riding low on his hips, revealing the white and green striped pair of boxers. Consequently the pant-legs threw folds above his green sneakers, bearing three diagonal stripes on the flanks.

His light brown hair caught the unnaturally garish light, the carefully styled mess on his head not ceasing to add to his attractiveness. Her gaze now rested upon the side of his face as he was staring into the distance. His jaw was quite defined, the bridge of the nose straight and leading to a cute slightly bulbous nose. She was distracted as he turned to look at her again. His eyes were a startling shade of blue-grey, framed by dark lashes which fit perfectly with his eyebrows.

“Goethe’s Faust.” He stated flatly, a battle between regret and genuine sorrow still raging in his eyes. His exasperation found release in a deep sigh. “I’m supposed to present a short synopsis of every chapter by Friday next week. And I don’t understand crap.”

Her eyebrows rose and she tried to act nonchalant as an idea formed slowly in her mind.
“Which part are you reading? The first or the second?”

He seemed surprised at her question, probably having thought that she would simply pity him for having to study such useless literary work. But contrary to what she had often seen in guy’s eyes, he didn’t judge her. He was simply surprised.

“The first part. Why?” His blue-grey eyes were narrowed, partially from the garish light, but mostly in utter confusion.

She couldn’t help the smile that stole itself on her lips. “Well.” She started, dragging the word out in a playful manner. “I would say today’s your lucky day. I happen to have done that assignment last year in my English AP class and I still have all my data. You can have it, if you want.”

He raised his eyebrows and without thinking about it, closed the book, setting it next to him onto the tribunes. His hands unoccupied, he turned his whole body towards her, facing her and for the first time his undivided attention was fixed on her. She enjoyed it immensely and made sure she was smiling slightly.

“And you would do that, just like that, for someone whom you don’t even know?” He asked suspiciously, but an amused undertone was swinging in his words.

“You just have to tell me your name, and you won’t be a stranger anymore.” He lifted his eyebrows in astonishment and then grinned lightly.

“Skyler O’Rourke. But pretty girls call me Sky.” His grin turned into a smirk as her eyebrow rose ever so shortly at his cockiness.

“Well then, Sky,” She put extra emphasis on his name, grinning jauntily, and as she saw his expression her smile widened. “I’ll give you my number, and you’ll call so we can meet and I can give you my data, okay?”

In an instant he had pulled his phone out of the pocket of his jeans and handed it to her. She took it and typed in her number, adding her name, before handing him back his phone. He took it and threw a look at the display.

“Brooke.” He read. “That’s a pretty name.” He looked her over for a moment, his eyes lingering on the crest on her blazer. “Fits you very well.”

She smiled quite flattered. “Thank you.” Her words were honest, but even though she wanted to stay, she knew she had to leave. “You’ll call me, right?” She said while standing up.

“’Course.” She was quite aware that he watched as she smoothed over her skirt with her palms.

“Great. Goodbye then, Sky. It was very nice meeting you.”

“See ya.” He nonchalantly answered and a smile crept back on her face again as she descended the stairs of the tribune, her shoulders drawn back, her back straight, her head held high. Her steps were full of grace, yet firm and determined, as she walked back towards the parking-lot, where her limousine was waiting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it! Leave a comment and subscribe please :D