Status: Finished!

What If You Stay?

One

“Here we are.” I heard my dad from beside me.

I looked in front of me at the house that I’m not supposed to call my home. It would never be a home to me unless there is something here that would give me a reason to call it a home. I climbed out of the car pulling my messenger bag strap over my shoulder to look around, which mostly contained trees. La Push was sure a woodsy area.

“Come on, let’s get our stuff inside. It looks like it’s going to rain.”

It was weird hearing my dad talk sober. After my mom’s passing, he was always drunk trying to get rid of the pain and memory of her. His voice was always slurred and his words run together that no one could understand what he was saying most of the time. Now that he was somber so we could drive up here, it was like a different guy was talking to me and tries to start a conversation.

A sound of a motorcycle caught my attention and I looked back toward the road where not a second later and guy zoomed passed the house more likely going over the speed limit. I tore my attention away from the road and to the trunk of the car where my dad was now getting some of our stuff from the trunk of the car. I walked back there toward him to get my two suitcases and bathroom bag.

I walked behind my dad toward the front door of the house for him to let us in. He opened the front door with the key that he had gotten when he first bought the house and let us inside. The first room we walked into was the living room.

The living room had oak hard wood floors almost like the kind mom wanted back at the old house but we stuck with the ivory carpet that was put in when they first built it. An ivory sofa and love seat sat together with a black leather chair out to the side that sat in front of an entertainment center that already was holding our flat screen TV, DVD/VCR player, and had room for our movies. A coffee table sat in front of the sofa holding all of the remotes that we had. There was two end tables on each side of the sofa each holding a black lamp.

Walking further into the house, there was an opening in the wall that lead into the kitchen and dinning room. I looked around the kitchen and dinning room knowing that only time that it would be used is for in the morning when I get breakfast or when dad stumbles in to get another beer. Dad would always be too drunk to get hungry and I always when out for lunch and dinner just so I could get away from him.

He never was abusive when he was drunk, but he always seems to find something to argue over to the point where I break down because he won’t stop. He also tends to say stuff toward me that really bothers me but I know that he is just too drunk to know what exactly he is saying to me.

“Colby, your room is this way.”

I turned my head to see my dad walking down a hallway where four doors are at. I follow him down the hallway and into the room that he enters with one of my suitcases. Walking inside, I noticed that the walls were painted a green color and there were a few pictures hanging up that we were of me and some of my old friends from the sandlot and softball team.

Dad placed my suitcase at the foot of the bed and I did the same with mine. The room wasn’t as big as the one at the old house but I didn’t need a big room. Dad walked out of the room not saying a word to me to leave to me to unpack. Taking a deep breath, I lifted one of my suitcases from the floor to place on my bed and began to unpack my things.

After a few hours of unpacking, everything was put away nice and neatly. I sat down on my purple comforter that covered my blue sheets over my bed and kicked off my shoes that rolled onto the blue rug. I took a deep breath looking around at my black furniture before falling back onto my bed staring up at my ceiling.

Looking out the window that was over the headboard of my bed, I saw that it was already night time. I had spent more hours unpacking then I thought I did. Sitting back up, I got up off the bed and walked down the hallway to find my dad in the kitchen standing over the stove, which was a shock to me since he hardly ever cooks.

“You’re cooking dinner?” I asked walking into the kitchen.

“Yeah.” Dad answered looking of his shoulder at me for a second. “I’m fixing some chicken, rice and green beans. It should ready here in a few minutes.”

“Okay. I’ll be up in my room when it’s ready.”

“I’ll call ya down.”

I nodded as I turned around and headed back down to my bedroom. I sat back down on my bed and looked over at my nightstand to see the picture of one of my mom’s glamour shoot. I picked up the picture to cradle in my lap feeling tears flooding my eyes. I wiped at a tear that escaped my right eye before saying, “I miss you, mama.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Colby