Status: Finished!

What If You Stay?

Three

“So you want to work here? Wouldn’t most girls your age would rather work at diners or department stores?” Jerry asked from behind his desk.

Jerry was the owner of the car shop where I was trying to get a job. As you could probably tell, it wasn’t going too well for me seeing how I’m a girl when mostly its guys that get the jobs working at a car shop.

“Jerry, I’m not like other girls who care about how she looks. I wouldn’t give a flip if I broke a nail, I don’t own any expensive clothes aside from my Nike shoes, I could go to school in my pajamas and bed hair and wouldn’t care. I am not a girly girl, I’m more of a tom boy something I had been ever since I was little.

“I have been interested in cars for years. I’m a hard worker, a fast learner, and I get along with everyone. I’m not afraid to admit if I make a mistake or mess up. If you hire me, I promise I won’t disappoint you.” I said finally taking a deep breath.

Jerry looked me over biting on his lower lip like he was debating. He looked away from me taking a deep breath and that was the final pull for me. I stood up from the chair mumbling an apology before exiting his office.

Walking into the shop, I carefully walked around everything that was in the way before walking outside toward my truck, a black Ford Ranger. Pulling the keys from my pocket, I unlocked the truck. Reaching the truck, I pulled the door open getting ready to climb inside.

“Colby!” I looked to see who called my name to see it was Jerry. “You’re hired. When can you start?”

Smiling, I answered, “Any time.” I answered.

“Do you think you can start now?” Jerry asked walking closer. “One of my workers called this morning saying he wanted to quit.”

“Yeah, sure.”

Jerry nodded waving me to follow him. I closed the door to my truck locking it as I followed Jerry back inside the shop. He gave me some paper work that I easily filed out and gave me the garage number that I was going to be working in. After talking some more, I headed out into the garage and began to work on the first car that was already waiting inside.

Paul’s POV

I quickly pulled into a parking spot at work noticing a truck was parked as well. I climbed out of the car to already see Jacob and Jared standing outside by their cars. I locked the car door behind me as I walked over toward the two looking over my shoulder at the truck.

“Did Kyle get a new truck?” I asked pointing toward the truck.

“I don’t know. If he did, it’s not bad looking.” Jacob said observing the truck.

“Well, I’m going in. I don’t want to be late again.” Jared said walking toward the garage doors.

We all walked inside the car shop and headed toward cars that were supposed to work on. Walking passed the one in Kyle’s area, I noticed legs were sticking out from under the car and stopped. Jared was about to walk past me until he also saw the legs.

“Hey man. Is that your truck parked outside?” Jared asked.

Looking closely at the legs, I knew they weren’t Kyle’s legs or masculine. They looked more feminine and smaller those of a girl.

“First, yes.” the voice came and it wasn’t Kyle’s. “Secondly,” it continued before the body pushed out from under the car to reveal a girl, a familiar girl, “I’m not a man.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were another guy that works here.” Jared quickly stumbled out.

“It’s okay and one of the guys that worked here quit so it might be the one you’re thinking of.”

“Kyle quit?” Jacob asked walking around the car he had already started to work on.

“Yes he did.” Jerry said walking out of his office. “Boys this is Colby. She’s going to be working with us. Colby this is Jacob, Jared and Paul.”

Colby waved at us smiling softly getting one in return from Jared and Jacob. I was standing there staring at her taking in her appearance. From a girl that looked like she could be girly with her long hair and eye popping makeup, she did have that tomboyish vibe to her.

Then I remembered where I had seen her, the reason she looked so familiar. She was the girl that I had seen yesterday when I was at the beach. She was the one from the cliff and was jogging by the parking lot.

Looking straight into her dark hazel eyes, I felt my world shift under me. It felt like nothing in the world mattered anymore except for her. I was starting to feel confused about what was going on, what was happening.

What was happening?
♠ ♠ ♠
Colby