James

Hatred

Yes, he was as immature as the rest of the boys his age, but he was my best friend, and I loved him. He messed up constantly, but he always found a way to make up for anything he did.

“I hate you! How could you tell her I liked Gregory?” I slammed the front door in James’ face, only to have it opened again as he came walking in. “It’s not my fault, E, I figured being in high school would keep it from being spread to the seventh graders. How was I supposed to know?” My response consisted of several weak sobs and a hiccup. He continued, “I like Mia, I figured I could trust her with your secret. You trusted me: I gave her the same treatment. She just betrayed us both. I’m so sorry.”
By this time he had followed me up to my room and was sitting on my desk chair as I played with the fluffy green pillow on my bed. “Now everyone in my class is laughing at me,” I half-whined, “Gregory’s already stopped talking to me and Carly—his girlfriend, James! — is totally peeved because she thinks I’m going to steal him or something.” With that, a new wave of tears began falling on the stuffed animals resting on my comforter. James walked over, and after sitting down next to me, enveloped me in a big hug.
“You can’t let them get to you, Evie. You’re better than that. You’re in seventh grade for God sakes, no relationship that young is going to last. Everyone in your class will go back to normal in a little while. Just don’t let them get the best of you.” That was how it went for the next two hours. I cried, and he comforted.

At school the following Monday, Gregory had broken up with Carly, and everyone forgot about me.