James

Distance

Gregory added a complicated third wheel to James’ and my lifelong relationship. He adapted well enough, and we accepted him without a second thought. But, as with all cases in which three friends are involved, one is always bound to be left out. Sometimes it was James, the oldest. Sometimes it was Gregory, who sometimes just didn’t catch on fast enough to James and his wild adventures. Then there was me. I was the only girl, and as we got older, my two friends got harder and harder to understand.

The door slammed behind me. I shook my ringlets to get the excess rain out of my locks as my mom took my jacket. “How was your first day of high school, Evelyn?” I grunted in response, yanking my coat out of my mom’s hands and stomping up to my room. “Just wonderful,” I muttered to myself. Unfortunately, I hadn’t improved in my friend-making skills since first grade, and after James had graduated middle school two years ago and Greg the year after, I hadn’t made any new friends for the remainder of my middle school years. I figured that in high school, since we would be back together at Ravenwood High, things would go back to normal. My first day told me differently.
My day had begun with excitement. My mom was driving James, Greg and I to school as we chattered happily for the entire ride. As soon as we got in the school building, however, my two supposed friends walked off in separate direction without so much as a “bye, Eve!” and I was left to my own devices in a school two times the size of my old one. The day did not get much better after that point.
I was late to my first class after going across the school to the wrong classroom. The teacher was forgiving, but the students were guffawing like they never would have made that mistake, even if we were all freshmen. Third period free was spent in the library memorizing my schedule, but half-way through I realized third period wasn’t my free and that I had missed the first half of my biology class. I hated biology, and when I arrived in the class the teacher was not nearly as forgiving as the man from first period. I got a demerit my first day, and my relationship with the biology she-witch never improved.
I made it through the rest of the day unscathed accept for lunch, when I had nowhere to sit. I ended up sitting at an empty table in the corner while I watched James and Gregory with their respective friends. They never paid me a second glance. I rode the bus home from school, and Gregory and James were nowhere to be found… I only found out where they were when a ditzy girl sitting in front of me mentioned “Jamie and Greggie” going to the mall with some other girls to hang out. They never told me that, and I was pissed off to the extreme. My first day off school sucked because they never even acknowledged my existence, and they never even asked how my day was. James and eventually Gregory started talking to me at school again and our three-musketeer relationship slowly went back to the way it was in middle school.

I doubt they ever found out how horrible my first day was, or that it was all their fault.