James

Love

I kept my anger and bitterness from James and Greg for a decent amount of freshman year, but eventually I brought them back in my good graces. However, the “three-wheeled” tension between the three of us grew throughout high school. James and I were always closer than Greg and I; he knew this, and was very jealous. However, by the time I was a junior, James was dorming at the local university and Greg and I were spending a lot of time together.

“So,” I said, lying on my back under the stars nest to Greg, “how is the college hunt going?” This made him groan and run a hand through his scruffy red hair. “Can we not talk about college, Evie? I’m so done with it. I’ve completed so many notifications I don’t ever want to hear the words ‘Where will you be in teen years’ ever again!” I laughed at that, but sobered quickly.
“…Hey Greg?” I asked, rolling onto my side to look him in the eye. “Can I ask you something?” Greg raised his eyebrow, a quirk I’d grown used to seeing since our escapades on the playground so many years ago. “You just did,” he said in all seriousness.
“You know what I mean, Gregory Matthew Lawson!” I sighed, smacking him lightly across the face.
“Fine, shoot.” Greg said, rolling his eyes.
“Okay. Um… do you— I mean…” I paused for dramatic effect then continued with a smirk on my face, “Gregory Lawson, where are you going to be in ten years?” As I busted out in laughter, Greg growled in frustration.
“How did you not see that coming?!” I asked between laughs. “You’re normally not that gullible!” My gleeful teasing was cut off by a pair of hands tickling me. As I laughed even harder, I heard Greg above me saying something that sounded distinctly like “That wasn’t very nice, Evie Rader”
“Well,” I giggled matter-of-factly, “you shouldn’t have set yourself up for—” My words were silenced by a pair of warm lips moving against my own. I definitely hadn’t seen that one coming. I didn’t exactly have any arguments, though.

However, while he was driving me home that night, I couldn’t help but think, “What the hell is James going to say?”