James

Memories

A year has gone by, but the events of last New Years are still a vibrant memory in my mind. The conversation I had with James the night before he died has gotten me through the time without him, and Gregory and my Mom have been my support system. When I look back on my last visit with him, I feel ridiculous for not realizing that James knew he was dying. I sensed there was something more he wanted to say to me, and I wish I would have acted on my thoughts.

“‘Just… please know that I’ll be around to help you when you need it, okay? Talk to me whenever you have a problem.’”
I wrote down the last of his words in my diary. I didn’t want to forget them too quickly. I finished the entry off with a short note to him:

...I’m taking you up on that request now, big brother. Wherever you are, I need your help. Life’s been rough without you, and I miss you. If you’re always here, I just want to know if you’re with me...

I finished the journal entry and decided to walk around the town for a little while. Before I knew it, I was at my old elementary school staring through the gate while the children played on the playground. I looked closer and noticed two things, or rather, two people. As I watched the two children, I didn’t’ know whether to laugh or cry. There, off to one side, was a little boy with a shovel and a girl with an open napkin. The boy was digging up worms.