Sequel: Tragedy Strikes

Hospital

Hospital

The next morning after a not-so-disturbing breakfast of toast I pick up my guitar and start to play, with my headphones plugged into my amp of course. I start playing a few random stuff, playing with headphones gets sort of annoying. Suddenly I'm startled because a nurse dropped a metal bed pan outside of my door, luckily for her she had just emptied it. I look over at my roommate, he had just slept through that racket. Fuck it, I think to myself as I take out my head phones, I lower the volume as not to disturb the people in the next room. I start playing some Green Day stuff, but the really, really old stuff like Welcome to Paradise and Green Day (the song).

"Hey that's Green Day." The man says.
"Oh sorry." I say turning of my amp instantaneously.
"No, it's okay, you're pretty good, if you were butchering the song or playing just plain crap, trust me I'd stop you." he says smirking. "Please, keep playing."
"How'd you know that was Green Day, like next to no one knows about their older stuff."
"I'm just special."
"Alright then." I say as I pick up my guitar again and continue playing Green Day, I then move onto playing Teenage Lobotomy and then some Simple Plan song my cousin taught me.
"Awe, no more." The man whines.
"Sorry but I'm not a performing monkey in heels."
"I know, you're the next big rock star."
"Oh yeah sure." I say rolling my eyes.
"What's your name?"
"Sadie."
"Hmm your stage name could be Sadie Defiance."
"I like it." I say laughing, "What's your name."
"Tre, you can call me Tre."
"So Sadie do you have a band?"
"Yeah, we're called Tragedy Strikes. Our drummer is fucking awesome."
"Do you write your own songs?"
"Yeah we have a few." I mumble.
"Do you sing?" I nod, "Play one." I think for a moment then start playing one of the songs me and my band had just finished creating.

"It's really good." He says at the end.
"Thanks." I say modestly.

"You look kinda young to have liver stones." I say randomly, "You don't even look forty."
"How do you know I had liver stones?" he says accusingly.
"Nurse told me when they brought you in."
"For the record I'm forty-three." He states, "And girly when you become a rock star my suggestion is don't hit the party scene and get drunk on the daily basis or else you'll be in my place."
"So you're an alcoholic."
"No, I just liked to party when I was younger and now I'm paying for it." He pouts. "so why are you here?"
"Got my appendix removed."
"Yeah, I've had stuff removed before today as well." He says casually. "Tonsils, appendix, testicle and now stones."
"Testicle? Sure you did." I mumble as he shrugs with laughter, man this guy was random.

"So the woman here yesterday, was that your wife, girlfriend?"
"Yeah well sort of."
"What do you mean sort of?" I say rudely, "You either are or you aren't."
"Well we were married and technically still are but we're always on and off."
"Uhh okay."
"Well a while back we were in serious trouble and we decided to live in the same house for our son's sake and since then we've been on and off."
"Alright." I mumble, "So you have kids."
"Yeah, two, a boy and a girl." He says as he reaches for his wallet. "Well actually she's more of a young lady now." He takes a picture out of his wallet and stretches to hand it to me. In the picture was a girl in her late teens who looked creepily like Tre and a boy with spiky blond hair dressed like a skater.
"Cool." I say as I hand back the photo. "What are there names?"
"Franky and Ramona."
"Funny, he doesn't look like a Franky." I say shrugging.
"Are you dissin my naming abilities?"
"Might be."

"So what have you been reading?"
"Uhh just finished Catcher in the Rye and now I'm starting Stupid White Men."
"I read that second one a while back, and my friend Bill has been bugging me to read Catcher in the Rye for like twenty years, oh god I feel old."
"Haha. Well I agree with your Bill friend, it's a good book."
"Mind if I borrow it?"
"Uhh okay." I say as I toss it to him.
"This is going to be my third attempt at reading this book."
"Huh?"
"First time, my book fell out of a moving bus and I never saw it again and the second time I had too much on my mind and I ended up throwing it out of a hotel window."
"Well if you don't mind, can you keep my copy in this room?"
"Yeah sure." He says as he cracks open the book and starts reading. I go back to reading Stupid White Men and listening to my mp3.

About an hour later the nurse comes in with two small paper cups. YAY, it's time for meds! She hands me one cup and Tre the other.
"Mr. Wright, your medication might make you drowsy." She says calmly. I take my one burgundy capsule with half a glass of water and go back to reading. Within minutes Tre starts snoring loudly. One of the passing by nurses hears the snoring as she passes by the room. She walks in and moves his head and the snoring stop instantly.

"How long was I out?" Tre asks later in the afternoon. I look up at the clock.
"About an hour and a half." He rubs his eyes and picks up The Catcher in the Rye.
"Jeez." He murmurs to himself.

"Hey Sadie." My mother's voice says from the doorway. I look up from my book.
"Hey Mom."
"How've you been?" she asks as she comes up to my bed.
"All things considered, pretty good."
"You shouldn't play guitar, it might disrupt your roommate." She says glancing disapprovingly at Tre.
"No, it doesn't disturb me; it actually makes things more enjoyable." Tre pipes up. "Oh sorry, private conversation."
"So is your roommate okay?" my mother asks in a low voice.
"Yeah, I got pretty lucky." I say shrugging. "His name is Tre and he lets me play guitar all day and he's read Stupid White Men, so yeah he's pretty fun to talk to."

A teenage girl, maybe a few years older than me enters the room.
"Hey Dad, how's it going?"
"Fine, I'm just bored." Tre says casually. "You just get out of school?"
"Yeah."
"And how was that?"
"Uneventful."
"I told you should've taken chemistry, that way you can make things explode."
"Yeah sure." She says laughing.

"Oh, oh Sadie." Tre says as he pulls at the divider curtain my mom just pulled across the room. "I'd like you to meet my daughter. Sadie this is Ramona, Ramona, my roommate Sadie."
"Hi." I say waving slightly.
"Hey." She says as she walks up to me and shakes my hand. "I see you play guitar."
"Yup."
"I play bass." She says proudly, "My dad wanted me to play drums though, so I can play a bit of that, but I much prefer the deep sound."
"Cool. Are you in a band?"
"Nah, I just play for the fun of it, I have friends who are in a band and sometimes I play shows with them." She says shrugging, "You?"
"Yeah I'm in a band called Tragedy Strikes."
"You any good?"
"I guess."
"You guess nothing, you're awesome." Tre says in a corky voice.
"I see you've been talent searching for Billie again." Ramona says in mockery.
"Maybe." Tre says innocently.
"Shit I got to get going." Ramona mumbles as she looks at her watch. "It was nice meeting you Sadie, later Dad."