Status: Completed. Go subscribe to I Hate Myself Without You

Cross My Heart

We're Alright

“Josline, I understand your concern, but, PLEASE get in the van!” I said, leaning out of the van window. Josline was standing in her driveway, looking rather hesitant.

“Okay, one second.” She said to me. She turned around and looked at Josh. “Okay, remember to warm Finley's bottle for 12 seconds in the microwave, or it will get too hot. And, try to get him to at least have a nap at 10 and 2. Try to get him to sleep around 7. Oh, and he wont sleep unless he has his red blanket and...” Jaws was starting to ramble. Josh was frowning at her, while he was holding a very sleepy Finley.

“Jaws, I know what to do! He has been my son for 3 months too, ya know.”

“But I do everything better than you!” Jaws said. Josh looked hurt.

“But, he's...my SON! He's a boy! I get along with him better.” Josh said.

“He likes me better.” Jaws joked. Josh looked at Finley.

“Fin, do you like me or your mommy better?” Josh asked. Finley just yawned. “Oh, yes, that gives me a definite answer.”

“Jaws, get your booty in the van! We will leave without you!” I said, joking, but impatiently.

“Fine!” Jaws stomped her foot at me. She kissed Josh and Finley goodbye and got into the van. She buckled herself in next to Keith, who was already snoozing away with his iPod, and I started up the van. We all waved goodbye to Josh, who was waving back at us. Jaws watched Josh go back into their house before we made it around a corner. I could tell she was extremely concerned about Josh and Finley. Marque could tell Josline was a little uncomfortable leaving Finley and Josh alone for nearly 2 months. I would be too, if I just had a son. Marque twisted around in his chair, and put his hand on Josline's knee comfortingly.

“Everything will be fine. Josh will take good care of him. He's a good dad.” Marque said. I smiled at him, and then focused back on the road. I had to admit, I was proud of Josh. I didn't expect him to adapt to fatherhood so soon, and so well. He really was a good father, and I was happy him and Jaws were together, and not Jaws and John. I couldn't stand to see him with her. In fact, I couldn't see Josline with anyone BUT Josh. Even Matt was real careful with Finley. I liked seeing him able to have some kind of experience with kids. He tended to spoil Finley, but not as much as Josh. I found it extremely amusing how a baby could just change everyone's lives so quickly. Definitely made Josline change her mind about things. She didn't really want to have kids. But now that she did, she was a fantastic mother.

“Thank you Marque.” Josline said in a soft voice. Marque smiled at her again and turned back in his seat. We were all mostly quiet for 4 hours, unless Marque, or Jaws, saw something out the window and just HAD to point it out to one another. We had Josline's iPod plugged into the auxiliary port in the van. Keith still had his iPod in his ears. He was the only one who ever got sleep on tour. The strange thing about Keith was that he couldn't drive with music on, but he could sleep with it playing, only if it was his own. Everyone in the band had a different music taste. We all played this indie-alternative-electronic sounding stuff, but our tastes in music was completely different. I LOVED techno and hip-hop. Jaws loved screamo and any kind of metal (she did listen to about anything, but she prefered that). Marque loved alternative-punk type music (like Green Day). Keith loved the oldies (The Beatles, the Who, Led Zeplin, Rush, Midnight Oil, U2, ect...) and the British Punk music, like the Sex Pistols. We all agreeded that Marianas Trench was awesome, however.
We got to Kelowna, and I could see Josline was starting to feel a little uncomfortable about being there. Marque was snoozing in his chair, so it was only Jaws and I who were awake. I looked back at her, she was fidgiting with something on her hoodie. “Josline?” She looked up at me. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I'm fine.” She said. I could sense the discomfort in her voice.

“You're going to be okay Jaws. You've moved on from everything that happened before, right?” I said. Jaws nodded her head. “Then just have fun tonight. And for the rest of the tour.” I smiled at her. She smiled back at me. I pulled into an ally of the building we were playing at. I started to feel the excitement of the tour starting to over-come me. Josline nudged Keith awake, and he looked around, almost confused, and like he forgot that we were even on the tour. I poked Marque awake and he nearly smacked his head on the window. Keith got out first, after crawling over Josline to get out, and he went to tell the manager of the place that we were there. We started to pack all of our gear into the building, a few people who were hired to help us, helped us too. Keith mainly set everything up, becoming swallowed in his own little world. He always became so intense when we set up for shows. Can't Speak Dead had already sound checked. It was so great to see Eric and Colbie again. Mikayla was pretty cool though. She was hanging around Keith a little bit. I don't know if I liked that or not. Keith was too into his work to even pay attention to her.

We sound checked and went and found something to eat. Josline was talking on her cellphone, with Josh. Marque was reading...like usual. Keith was picking through our food from our rider. He finally picked up a cup of tea. That was mostly my thing. I would always drink tea before a show, just to relax me a little. Keith was big on the organic fruits and vegetables. He was a hippie child growing up, so his old habits kept up with him. They definitely clashed with Olivia's high-standard lifestyle, but he didn't have to worry about that anymore.

When we finally got onto the stage, the energy was just intense. I missed playing in front of people, but I was glad I was back. Josline opted to play drums for half the set, and she let me sing, play guitar, or piano if I wished. I stepped up to my microphone and smiled. “Hey.” I simply said. There was some cheering from everyone. “Are you stoked? I'm stoked.” More cheering. I really was stoked, because I got to 'scream-sing' again. My voice, however, was going to be very displeased with me afterwards. I turned to Keith, who then started playing a guitar riff.

1,2,3, let's go!

We're alone, in a crowded room.
It's not the same,
but still I get close to you.
So, what you got?
Do I even wanna hang around right now?
Tell me something I want to hear,
whisper it in my little ear.
Now, how about you?

Oh how I wish you would stay
just for one more night.
You've got it going on.
You really ought to know.
Every time I see you
it drives me crazy.
This is what I need.

You don't even know
how far away you really are.
Just turn around, turn around
I can't wait to see this.
I packed my bags now
can we run away together?
I'll take my chances somewhere else.
But you're a chance to take.

Oh how I wish you would stay
just for one more night.
You've got it going on.
You really ought to know.
Every time I see you
it drives me crazy.
This is what I need.

All our great memories
Stored up, backed up.
We need to get out of this town,
I am your chance.
Just don't give up because
we're alright.


Keith strummed the last few notes of the song. “...and we're alright.” Rang out and then the crowd burst into applause. I smiled at Keith, then Marque, then finally at Josline.

We definitely were going to be alright.