Never Fall

Time to Let Go

Austin’s cell phone went off and he quickly opened it, his blue eyes scanning over the few words on the screen. “Kayla.” He tugged on the sleeve of Kayla’s top rapidly, eyes still on his phone. “Kayla, Kallie wants to hang out.” He tried to stop himself from performing a small hop, a cheeky grin on his face.

Kayla laughed, stepping away from him and fixing her sleeve. “Then go hang out with her?” she asked, the most obvious thing anyone can do. “Why are you freaking out like a little school girl?”

“I-I don’t know...” he trailed off, hoisting his backpack up as he thought about it. “But she wants to hang out, right now, at her house--”

Go,” Kayla urged with another laugh. “Damnit, make your move already, Bello,” she joked. She couldn’t be any happier for Austin, finding a girl who has him quickly falling head over heels for her. She had met Kallie once at Austin’s house, and well, the night didn’t bother her at all. She would like to see more of them.

“But what about you?” Austin stopped, turning to her slightly. “You don’t mind?”

She chuckled. “Mind? Come on, I want you two dating already- so make it happen!” She snapped her fingers at him. “Besides, I’m a big girl. I’ll find a ride home.” She smiled and pulled him to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. “Have fun and call me tonight. I expect to hear about a girlfriend.”

Austin laughed, his cheeks tinted a light shade of pink as he gave her a squeeze. “Friends aren’t supposed to pressure other friends.” He pressed his lips to her forehead before pulling away. “But I’ll call you tonight, and thanks.” He flashed her a bright smile before he nearly bolted out through the heavy double front doors of the school.

Kayla shook her head with a soft chuckle before she walked outside to the front of the school, slowly descending the front steps. She stopped midway, allowing a foot to swing slightly before she sat down on the steps. A soft sigh left her lips as she rested her chin in the palm of her hand, hazel eyes scanning over the student body in a bored manner. She didn’t want to go home just yet, nor did she want to walk. She had kind of hoped to hang out with Austin for a bit actually, but she was in no position to stand in the way of his relationship with this new girl. There was nothing left to do but to stall time.

A few more weeks and this will all be over.

.

“No, I-I know, babe.” Caleb sighed into the phone as he drive his car slowly through the parking lot, looking for any open parking space. “But just- I feel bad, okay? I need to see her.” The redhead promptly stepped on the brakes, hand instantly pounding on the steering wheel to sound the horn as a car decided to back out unexpectedly. “Watch out, fucker!

He was annoyed. He was annoyed with everything - with the school, the parking lot, the seniors who thought they were badass because they have a nice car, and unfortunately, with his girlfriend on the phone. For just this once, he wanted to be away from her without any bickering.

Well, how am I supposed to get home now?” Audrey spoke on the other end, her voice clearly laced with annoyance as well. “I cancelled all plans to be with you - you couldn’t have told me this this morning?

I know.” Caleb sighed, irritated. “But listen, darling, I’ll make it up to you. Date night, whatever you want - anything.” He quickly hung up with her with a roll of his brown eyes and a shake of his head. He looked down at his phone as he waited for a group of students to walk by the front of his car, and opened up a new text message.

I’m picking you up.

Kayla felt a vibration go off in her pocket before she pulled her cell phone out. For a brief moment, her heart had skipped a beat and fluttered when she saw Caleb’s name, but just as quickly, she was overcome with dread and a hint of annoyance. She quickly read the message and sighed, gripping the phone in her hand.

She didn’t want to see him, not at that moment. They haven’t spoken at all since her last visit. It would be an utter lie if she said that she was fine, that she didn’t care, that she didn’t need him. God, did she need him. It’s indescribable how much she missed him but she had told him that she wasn’t going to bother anymore, and she did just that. After a while of what seems like no effort coming from him, she was convinced that he was content without her.

Caleb scanned through the parking lot slowly as well as the front of the school. It was hard to spot her at first but he finally found her, already sitting on the steps and waiting. He quickly pulled around to pull up next to the curb. He honked the horn once.

He felt bad, guilty, everything that he should feel for ignoring the one person whose been there for most of his life. The one person whose been there to deal with his childhood tantrums, there to take the hit of his harsh words whenever he was upset with anything else, the person who was there to pick him up whenever he fell the hardest for a girl. The one person he’s ever once given his all to.

If he had to admit, she had been slipping further and further from his mind. He thought of her less frequently as his mind became more engrossed with his girlfriend. Before he knew it, days and weeks would pass by before he would think of contacting Kayla again. And that is no way to treat her, to throw her aside and leave her in the dust when a new girl comes along. He had never done that to her before, so what reasons did he have to start now? He needed to make it up to her.

Kayla’s eyes quickly glanced up when she heard the sudden car honk and in an instant, her hazel eyes met his brown ones before she quickly looked back down. She mentally cursed herself and was about to reach for her backpack placed next to her before she saw a pair of shoes stop next to her. She tilted her head back to look up and smiled when she saw Dylan.

“Hey there.” She slung her backpack over her shoulder and stood up, her figure still shorter than his due to the descending steps.

“Hey- uhm,” Dylan’s dark eyebrows furrowed slightly as he looked down at her, “you were just sitting there. So I was wondering, if you’re free right now?” he asked right now. It was worth a shot. For once, she wasn’t with Austin or anything else. Maybe just this once, she’d like to be social and they can have their own bonding time.

“Uhm,” Kayla started softly, gripping onto the strap of her backpack with one hand. Quickly, she glanced over her shoulder at the car waiting for her before turning her attention back on the brunette. Just this once, she can have her fun without the redhead. Just once, she can be with someone else and forget about him, like he had so easily done to her. Just once, whatever it may be; he was no longer hers to hold onto. “What did you have in mind?”

“Well, if you have time...” Dylan stuck his hands into the pockets of his jeans, biting the inside of his lip slightly as he smiled. “I was thinking we can catch a movie, maybe get ice cream - just, you know, hang,” he concluded a bit quietly. Lame, stupid, but he had to add the last part in. She had rejected him a number of times before with just hanging out; surely, she would definitely reject it if he hinted towards a... date.

Kayla smiled softly at him. “A date, perhaps?” She laughed softly. She was going to allow herself to do this - to worry about herself for once instead of what Caleb is doing. “Yeah, I’m free,” she replied when Dylan’s brown eyes widened slightly and he nodded his head slowly.

Caleb had kept his eyes on her, waiting patiently for her to come. But his features set into a deep frown when he saw her descend the steps with Dylan, heading in the opposite direction. He quickly dialed her number, pressing the phone close to his ear. He waited, watching.

He saw her slow down her pace through the crowd and look down at her phone. She looked up at Dylan, seeming to be laughing at something before he saw her stuff her phone back into her back pocket. The phone was still ringing but he was being ignored.

Slowly, Caleb lowered the phone from his ear and ended the call himself. He watched as she walked away, his presence unacknowledged. But he knew that she saw him; how could she not? His heart sunk deep in his chest, a feeling of pain much worse than any heartbreak. His nerves ran wild and he had to take deep breaths; a feeling unbearable.

He’s never felt so low about losing anyone, especially someone he never thought was possible to lose.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys can blame the Sims for my lack of updating. I keep forgetting to mention: I added Audrey to the characters list. Go check it out. Ohp, and I also have the next chapter done. Maybe you'll all get a treat soon.

Also, I have, yes, completed everything for the sequel. Maybe I'll post the link to that sometime in the future (;