Never Fall

Time Apart

A wrong clash of the cymbals and it all seemed to go downhill from there. The vocals immediately stopped, followed by a horrible string of notes as the guitar riffs and bass lines pulled to a stop next. Groans chorused around the small room, frustrated throw backs of the heads, as all eyes turned wearily towards the blonde in the back of the room. He smiled sheepishly at them, carefully placing down his drumsticks.

“Goddamnit Burns, get it together!” Caleb yelled at Kyle playfully. “We’re tired of playing the same parts over and over!”

“I’m sorry!” Kyle yelled back in defense, feigning a child’s upset tantrum. “It’s just so new and hard and I can’t get it down yet!”

“Well get it down! Show’s in two days!” Jonathan laughed, twisting the cap of his water bottle open.

The blond threw a drumstick at the singer, continuing to shout. “I know! Stop yelling at me!”

“Stop throwing things!”

Caleb laughed hard as he dug his hand into his back pocket for his phone, feeling it vibrate nonstop. “You’re all idiots! Shut up.” He continued to laugh as he held the phone up to his ear. “Hello?” He tried to catch his breath, a few chuckles slipping out as his bandmates continued to bicker in the background.

About time you picked up,” came the voice of his girlfriend. “I’ve been trying to get a hold of you.” Her voice was sweet and soft, on the verge of a childish whine and he knew that those lips were pursed in a small pout.

“Oh I’m sorry, babe.” There were no laughter now, only a small smile as Caleb placed his guitar down. “Ten-minute break,” he told his band, before stepping out of the room and going to sit on the front porch. “What’s up?” he asked, before he heard a sigh coming from her side.

Band practice again?” This came as no surprise to him. Dissatisfied, upset, lonely; that’s how she has been for the past few weeks.

“Well yeah,” Caleb answered uncertainly. “I don’t know how exactly I’m supposed to answer that... Is there a problem?”

No, no...” There was some shuffling around in the background as she dismissed him - but not for long - and moved on to whatever else she was doing. “It’s just... you’ve been over there an awful lot.

“You know we have a show soon and we’ve been writing,” he explained. “We just wanna practice and not screw up. Kyle’s still having trouble...” He let out a small chuckle, trying to turn the conversation less serious but he knew it wasn’t going to happen.

Yeah but... that much?” He could hear the squeak of her bed as she sat down. “What about us? It’s been a while and you haven’t hung out with me and I miss you,” she mumbled, and she was about to continue when Caleb spoke.

“I have hung out with you though,” he defended, quickly growing annoyed. The truth is that he has hung out with her; he’s seen her practically every day, even for a little bit. But the fact that she complained about not seeing him, bringing it up so often, made him more irritated and wanting a little distance between them. It wasn’t unexpected though; she is his girlfriend. It used to be just them, all the time, but then he joined the band and suddenly, his time was divided up.

Yeah, hardly,” Audrey scoffed. “We haven’t gone on an actual date since what, last month? It hardly feels like you’re even trying to see me--

“Don’t do this,” Caleb mumbled, “not right now.”

“I’m not doing anything--”

“Yes, you are.” He pushed his fingers through his hair. “You’re making me feel guilty and bad and like I’m such a bad boyfriend.” He rolled his eyes. “Who knows where this showcase can take us,” he explained, “and it’s important that we have more than just a few songs. I’m sorry I’m just trying to focus on this for just a few more days. I mean, you can use this time to study or fit that ‘girl time’ you’ve been wanting or... something,” he ended with a mumble. He really didn’t know.

What do you think I do during the week?” He could hear the attitude in her voice, the bitterness. “That’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been studying and going to the academy, and fitting whatever little ‘girl time’ I could get there while I have class and you decide to leave for ‘practice.’ It’s stressful and all I ask for, maybe even a little on the weekends, is for a little relaxation with my boyfriend.

Caleb sighed, slowly feeling the guilt clawing its way up. “Aren’t you being a little dramatic, darling?” It was only high school after all, and she only just started her junior year. But he didn’t let her answer as he quickly changed his mind, figuring it should be about time he does spend some time with her. “Never mind, just- get ready. I’ll be there soon.” Without another word, he hung up, heading back inside and into their practice room.

“Hey guys, I’ve gotta leave.” Caleb went over to his guitar and began to put his stuff away, unplugging his amp. Everyone turned their heads towards him, frowns and raised eyebrows in question.

“Why so fast?” Austin asked, placing his bass down.

“The girlfriend’s mad,” the redhead sighed.

“Whipped!” Kyle took the first chance to yell, but Caleb ignored him, shaking his head.

“Shut up. See you guys later.” Caleb carried his guitar and amp out to his car, packing it all into his backseat before he got into the driver’s side. The whole phone conversation had dampened his mood; he felt irritated, upset, sad, guilty, trapped. Everything that he didn’t used to feel.

He drove home to quickly drop off his equipment, but on the way, he passed by her house, the one person he used to be able to see whenever he felt any of those emotions. He wanted so badly, in that moment, to pull up in front of her house and walk up to that door that he had seen so frequently in his childhood. He wanted to see her, be with her, and just tell her everything. He needed someone to listen to him for once, to ask about what he was doing, about his band, his music, him; and he knew that she would do just that. Kayla, Kayla would listen to him and even offer advice. He wished to just drop by and spill everything to her, have her push him in the right direction to go. But those days have long passed. He couldn’t go to her anymore.

.

Caleb walked up to the front steps, knocking on the front door and waiting. He smiled the moment the brunette opened the door, dressed in a simple top, jeans, and flats. Her hair was left alone straight, her bangs falling messily in front of her face. “Hi,” Audrey spoke in a small voice, a shy yet sad smile on her thin lips. “You don’t have to be here.”

“Nonsense.” He grabbed her hand gently and pulled her to his car, letting her in first. He got in the driver’s seat, looking over at her as she fastened her seatbelt quietly and sat back. He placed his hand on her thigh, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Hey,” he whispered with a soft smile, “cheer up, buttercup.” He leaned over and pressed his lips to hers softly, to which she returned, unable to hold the straight, blank expression on her face.

“I’m sorry, about earlier,” she apologized quietly in such a manner that sounded almost sincere.

Caleb shook his head, resting his forehead against hers as he looked into those hazel eyes. “I didn’t mean to be so short with you.” He did feel bad with losing his patience so quickly with her. He patted her leg, pulling away. “Smile though. Date night with me; I’m all yours, and tomorrow too.”

Audrey looked up at him, trying to hold her smile back. “Tomorrow too?”

“Tomorrow too,” he repeated. “All yours, all day, whatever you want to do.”

Leaning over the middle compartment, she placed a kiss on his cheek, and then one on his lips. “Thank you,” she whispered. “I love you.”

“I love you too, doll.” He smiled.

But in the back of his mind, he couldn’t help but think that this’d be different with Kayla, a lot different. She’d understand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey y'all, I find it funny that the two updates before this, was posted when I had finals for the fall semester. And now I just finished finals for the spring semester three days ago. I didn't mean too haha; I know, I'm horrible. In my defense, this was partially written for a few months now but I was a bit stuck. But I'm out of it, and moving along now!

Maybe if you're all nice enough, I'll link the page to the sequel (;

One week of summer. One week of summer. Then summer semester starts. Joy .______.