Never Fall

March 2005

She breathed in deeply and smiled, staring at her reflection in the large mirror before her. Everyone around her was running around, pulling on pieces of their costumes. Some were rehearsing one last time, others were doing their hair, while a few kept to themselves in a panicked state. She was stuck in between. Time was flying by and she felt that she was moving at a slow pace.

“God, stop moving or I’ll never get this zipped off.” He laughed. Freezing, she stood up straight and let her hand drop to her side, where she was previously reaching for the red lipstick that sat on the counter.

She smiled at the sight of the teenage boy standing right behind her in the mirror. He had a concentrated look on his face as he worked to quickly zip up her dress properly for her. She was lucky that in a time like this, her fiery head of a best friend was there backstage to help her, while most of the other girls had to do it alone or with the help of each other. In the hustle and bustle of everything, she had the one person there that could keep her calm.

She grinned innocently into the mirror and laughed. “I’m sorry but it’s almost show time! I still need to finish my hair and do makeup.”

It has been four years since Kayla’s first dance show; four amazing years of dancing and tight rehearsal schedules. She loved it - the sweat, the pain, the stage. It was the only time that she could break free instead of being stuck in a world where she felt closed off. Her first show was an experience that taught her the keys to great stage presence, discipline, and determination to strive for what she wanted most.

“Don’t worry.” Caleb laughed. “you’ll be done in time. I’m here to help.”

Caleb had grown fond of Kayla’s dancing over the years - he loved it, actually. He didn’t like it at first (he was convinced that most boys didn’t either), but as she dragged him to more of the shows, whether she was dancing in it or not, over time he began to understand more of her passion. He began to love watching her dance hard and become a different Kayla.

He loved it especially though, when age began to grow with her. He evidently became more graceful and elegant, more beautiful and charming. She blossomed into a young lady that everyone wanted, right before his eyes. It was a time that he saw her most joyful and most active.

“Thanks.” She laughed and adjusted the top of her costume. As she began to apply the dark red lipstick to her lip, Caleb brushed her hair and styled it according to how he remembered it was done, when she was rehearsing in full costume.

“You’ll do fine,” he reassured her, sensing her nervousness. “You look great and you will be fine, just like you always are.” He gave her a quick hug from behind. “I have to go find my seat now. Good luck.” He placed a kiss on her cheek and left.

.

Caleb walked up and down the aisle of the local theatre, searching for any open seats. When he did, he quietly sat down and looked around at the unfamiliar faces of his community. The lights had begun to dim down so he turned back around in his seat, facing forward. He kept his intense gaze on the stage, waiting for the stage lights to come on while occasionally glancing at where he knew the backstage area was. He tried to pay close attention for any signs of movement.

Caleb and Kayla’s friendship had grown tremendously over the past few years. They have become closer, like true best friends. They were able to set aside the silly little differences that they always fought over when they were younger. They got over the fights of who has better toys and who was right or wrong. They learned to recognize what was more important in each other’s lives. They learned about the extent of their friendship and shared secretst that only the other knew about. They both matured into understanding, open-minded young adults.

They learned about the roles they play in each other’s lives.

The stage lights slowly dimmed on and a smile slowly crept onto his lips. He marveled at the beauty of the young girl standing posed before him, frozen in place with her head bowed down. She was listening carefully for the music to begin. He watched how the purple dress clung and hung loosely around her figure while it glittered underneath the light, her dark stage makeup accenting her features. He watched the way her wavy auburn hair flowed freely from her face as she began to move.

As she maneuvered across the stage, he was intrigued with her flowing grace. With her head held high, a smile perched upon her lips and a strong posture, her arms and body moved fluidly in a grand manner. Never once was there a falter in her stop - none that was visible to their watching eyes. He could see the pride radiating off her body and the happiness that glinted in her eyes.

.

That was it - this was her passion. This is what Kayla Adams lived for: to dance her heart out in front of the audience, showing them her best. She was determined to work hard everyday, learning and trying out new techniques. Even when she fell to her lowest, she always found the motivation to stand back up and move forward.

This is what she’s been dreaming of.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter is the real thing.