Put Love on Hold

Ryan

I woke up before my alarm went off and immediately noticed Brendon’s absence from our bed. Then I noticed the smell of bacon that was consuming the air around me. I got out of bed and silently followed the smell to the small kitchen in the apartment Brendon and I shared.

When I reached the kitchen, Brendon’s back was facing me as he worked over the stove. I sat on a stool at the island where we usually ate our meals. I yawned as I rested my arms on the surface in front of me. Brendon turned around when he heard my yawn and smiled at me. It was a fake smile, but I didn’t say anything.

“Did you sleep okay?” Brendon asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “You?”

“Pretty good,” he lied. I took in the dark circles under his eyes, his tired expression, and that fake smile that still adorned his face. “You hungry?”

“Starving,” I said.

“Good,” Brendon said, turning so that his back faced me again. He grabbed a plate from the counter beside him and placed some of the food he had cooked onto it. He turned around again and set the plate in front of me along with a fork. “Eat up.”

He came around the island and sat on the stool beside mine.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” I asked him. He shook his head.

“I’m not hungry,” he said.

I began eating my food and Brendon stayed silent. I watched him from the corner of my eye and couldn’t help but notice the blank expression on his face as he stared ahead of him. I knew it was because of me. I knew it was because of the fact that I was leaving today. I just wish that he knew how fucking worried I was about him. Brendon doubted my feelings most of the time and I knew it was worse when I wasn’t around. I just wish there was some way that I could let him know that I did love him and that nothing could come between us. I could just tell him that, but it wasn’t that easy with Brendon. He would still doubt me. Leaving didn’t help.

I finished my breakfast in silence and when I was done, I checked the time.

“We should probably leave soon,” I said.

“Yeah,” Brendon said. He stood up and took my plate.

“Thanks for the breakfast,” I said.

“It’s no problem,” Brendon said. The fake smile again.

I went to get my bags.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll post Part 3 in a little bit.
Comments are appreciated.
~Sally